The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

21 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

He needs to gain 50 lbs before even considering the NHL.

Ahh no. He will be fine at 180-190. The extra weight is not helping Juolevi this training camp. A player with a high hockey IQ will do just fine playing under 200 lbs. the way he's adjusting to the SHL at such a young age is very promising. Hopefully he does the same when he comes to North America. 

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Ahh no. He will be fine at 180-190. The extra weight is not helping Juolevi this training camp. A player with a high hockey IQ will do just fine playing under 200 lbs. the way he's adjusting to the SHL at such a young age is very promising. Hopefully he does the same when he comes to North America. 

He's probably fine at 175+ honestly. ~10 lbs over the next 2  years, even for his body type is quite doable. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

This, plus 1

Too many people think that he needs to be 200 lbs +. He's not a power forward, I see him more in the Gretzky type of mold (not saying he's going to be the next Gretzky). A guy who can skate and thread passes and create offense and get the puck to the front of the next where a power forward is making life difficult for defense and the goaltender. 

I think he'll come into the league around the 175 - 178 mark and probably play most of his career between 185 - 190 range. He doesn't have to be massive to be a strong player!

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This, plus 1

Too many people think that he needs to be 200 lbs +. He's not a power forward, I see him more in the Gretzky type of mold (not saying he's going to be the next Gretzky). A guy who can skate and thread passes and create offense and get the puck to the front of the next where a power forward is making life difficult for defense and the goaltender. 

I think he'll come into the league around the 175 - 178 mark and probably play most of his career between 185 - 190 range. He doesn't have to be massive to be a strong player!

Yeah it's ridiculous, Gaudreau is 157, Marner 175, P kane 178, Ennis 175, lots of guys who are small and very successful in the league. I know some of those are elite players, but Petterson has that kind of skill imo.

• Upvote 4

Scoring goals is in the hands and head...there are not many player's who can do it as many ways as Elias can due to elite hands and head.

Take Eriksson for example he has managed to score up to 30 goals in the NHL ...but only scores greasy or "in close" goals ....so he got shut down last year due to a lack of good point shooter's providing rebounds for him.

Elias is going to be one of those player that you can't really shut down...eventually he's going to set up a tap in or score from nowhere...on a broken play...

It doesn't matter if he scores like a 200 Lb.'r or a 175 Lb.'r....they both count the same.

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  Super elite talent. 

Dear lord. If this kid falters in development at any point people are gonna lose their minds lol.  

Looks good thus far but I'll hold out on declaring him a future elite talent... I'll be happy with a solid top six forward!  :D 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

Dear lord. If this kid falters in development at any point people are gonna lose their minds lol.  

Looks good thus far but I'll hold out on declaring him a future elite talent... I'll be happy with a solid top six forward!  :D 

He will be elite quote me on it 

For the record. ^ 

This is the heaviest I have ever criticized Jake.I also waited until he has appeared to turn the corner before I let anything loose. 

Although, I was a proponent of drafting Nylander. I was also not against drafting Jake. Preferred him to some of the other guys also trumped up by guys when bagging Jake.  I liked him because of the absolute raw athleticism he possessed. Fastest skating forwards. And backwards at his scouting combine. At 212 lbs.  It is rare a guy that size can move, as he does. I have also argued since, that it would surface once he got his poop together.

I actually, if anything slagged Nick Ritchie on the day. Thought he was big and slow. Preferred that Jake got fighting fit for his draft.

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Petterson came in second and 7th in the Windgate 30 second and 7 second peak power drills among the 107 odd guys tested at the combines. He's actually a way better, stronger and more explosive athlete than most know. Its what gives him the agilty, and control he has at speed. It will also mean, he can put on weight if he has the right diet and training.  

As I recall, "wee" Willie Nylander (5'11, 169lbs) was #1 in mean power output at the combine as well.