Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

20 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Gretzky shot at this:

Related imageImage result for 80's mike Vernon stacking pads during game

EP40 shoots at this:

Image result for roberto luongo in netImage result for 2019 goalie in net

"I believe Sydney Crosby would've scored 200points a year if he played in the 80's" - Gretzky

The biggest flaw in hockey is the record book. 

At the same time though, Gretzky played in the clutch and grab era where players where literally hanging on players like a coat hanger. Also dirty hits happened more frequently than it does now because back then they were simply called hits. As good as Petey is, he would not survive in the NHL Gretzky played in.

6 hours ago, smokes said:

At the same time though, Gretzky played in the clutch and grab era where players where literally hanging on players like a coat hanger. Also dirty hits happened more frequently than it does now because back then they were simply called hits. As good as Petey is, he would not survive in the NHL Gretzky played in.

So you're saying Pettersson with Bure and Odjick on his wings wouldn't have survived in the 90's? They would have carved the league up. Lou Lamoriello changed the game with his neutral zone trap, when there was no 2 line pass. The league decided to change that rule as a result of the devils winning every game 2-1, which was also in part to Martin Brodeur being the best goalie of all time. As someone who watched hockey in the 80's and 90's, your assumption is hogwash.

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

So you're saying Pettersson with Bure and Odjick on his wings wouldn't have survived in the 90's? They would have carved the league up. Lou Lamoriello changed the game with his neutral zone trap, when there was no 2 line pass. The league decided to change that rule as a result of the devils winning every game 2-1, which was also in part to Martin Brodeur being the best goalie of all time. As someone who watched hockey in the 80's and 90's, your assumption is hogwash.

We are talking about different eras though. Gretzky was way past his prime when Bure and Odjick was in the league.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Jacques Lemaire actually was the coach who really defined the trap, Lou was the Gm. Lemaire started doing this with the Habs in the 70's with Bowman as coach.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Jacques Lemaire actually was the coach who really defined the trap, Lou was the Gm. Lemaire started doing this with the Habs in the 70's with Bowman as coach.

Was Lemaire particularly defensive though as a player? He seems like a pretty offense-focused player based on what I can see from his stats. The Selke only existed for the final two seasons of his career, but it doesn't look like he received any votes in either of those years despite still being a great player.

31 minutes ago, Kushman said:

If pettersson had mcsorely and semenko on his team, he would survive just fine.

Why do you think they needed McSorely and Semenko? Every team in the league had tough guys, cheap hits came from everywhere because there were no such thing as headshots. It was called a hit. Even the stars had to be tough. Players like Messier, Dennis Potvin, Probert would have ripped him to pieces. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Was Lemaire particularly defensive though as a player? He seems like a pretty offense-focused player based on what I can see from his stats. The Selke only existed for the final two seasons of his career, but it doesn't look like he received any votes in either of those years despite still being a great player.

No he wasn't. And the best they could do with a trap then was him and Steve Shutt could channel forwards toward Larry Robinson. Guy Lafluer was on the same line but played no part in it! And Robinson was the only dman who was  willing to work with it. But i guess they seen enough small results of it that when he started coaching is when he got serious about it.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, smokes said:

Why do you think they needed McSorely and Semenko? Every team in the league had tough guys, cheap hits came from everywhere because there were no such thing as headshots. It was called a hit. Even the stars had to be tough. Players like Messier, Dennis Potvin, Probert would have ripped him to pieces. 

But why didn't those same players rip Gretzky to shreds? They are very similar builds and as we've established play a similar game. With bodyguards, I think EP would have been fine, just as Gretzky was.

33 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

But why didn't those same players rip Gretzky to shreds? They are very similar builds and as we've established play a similar game. With bodyguards, I think EP would have been fine, just as Gretzky was.

Gretzky was pretty tough himself though. 

Another note--with his goal tonight, Pettersson ties Dennis Ververgaert's 26 goals for 4th all-time in Canucks rookie history. The only three above him now are Boeser (29 goals), Linden (30 goals), and Bure (34 goals).

With the points totals, the Canucks have a plethora of rookies who've finished in the 50s in their rookie year, so EP is still down at 8th but just leapfrogged Dixon Ward tonight and is now just two points behind Brock Boeser's 55 points from last year. After that, he's got the ever-underrated Rick Blight and the best rookie defenseman Vancouver's had, Dale Tallon, to beat, both at 56 points.

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

there was a definite code back then, if you wanted to be a tough guy... you had lots to choose for a scrap. If you wore a visor, don't get involved with chippy play. If you were a heavyweight, don't fight a middleweight (unless necessary!) Cheap shots were met with instant or next shift fights. If you cheap shotted a star player, you were instant target, it just didn't happen. Not everyone wore helmets so high sticks were not an issue then. European players wore visors, they didn't engage it anything. Goalies were fair game to hit when they had the puck but be prepared to fight if you do! You could try to hit Wayne during play, the guy was so elusive and had eyes in the back of his head it seemed... you would have had to cheap shot after a play, that stuff just didn't happen to stars. If you look on video of Dale Hunter cheap shooting Turgeon after a goal, i think he got a 10 or 20 game suspension.No team had a lack of willing combatants. Junior hockey was a LOT of fights lol.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, smokes said:

Watch ice guardians on Netflix.

They talk about what a detterrant mcsorely and semenko were. Some guys were afraid to look at Gretzky wrong let alone throwing a dirty hit at him. There's a reason he took them with him to the Kings.

I just thought it has become so appearant that everyone now recognizes EP40 as the biggest threat of the team on That 3-3 tying goal vs the kings. he had 3(!) players, both of  the d-men watching and going for him as the puck then went open to gaudette that got the scoring oportunity and made the most of it. its just.....so poetic that these oportunities will arise more and more. Man i wish they played tonight again....all games are crucial to get to the playoffs. Petey is evolving to a hockeygod. Good times....good times....only dark cloud in those blue skies are all these injuries atm. 

On 2/13/2019 at 3:06 PM, NUCKER67 said:

A really good point Tre Mac ^^^.

Goalies were much smaller, the equipment was bulky. I would also add that the players weren't as skilled or as fit. The diets were basically steak and pasta, beers after the games. Some players even smoked. If Gretzky played today, he would probably be similar to Pettersson. ;)

Yes, but for "all things being equal", how was Gretzky's fitness level compared to the elite hockey players today?  Did he train and specialized his diet during his hey day?  I honestly don't know myself.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:33 AM, smokes said:

To be fair, Gretzky had Semenko and McSorley there to remind opponents of what would happen to them if they looked at Gretzky the wrong way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Legendary10 said:

To be fair, Gretzky had Semenko and McSorley there to remind opponents of what would happen to them if they looked at Gretzky the wrong way.

Cement head was in another league compRed to McDoely,  ?Cement .head was the toughest knuckle dragging face puncher in the league.  My grandma skated better.  

• Like 1