The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

He's kind of a sore loser and it reminds me of Kesler which is a good thing. Say what you want about Kesler, but you rarely saw him take a night off during his time wearing a Canucks uniform. I see that kinda fire in Petey as well. 

On 2/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I think thats it, they know what the horrible Vancouver media is like. 

They also see what we all see, a kid having an incredible year learning who he is as a player. Last nights game e.g., how he's developed as a defensive player is pretty special, all on top of all that creativity the other way. Petey's desire to be a complete player is quite special, they probably want to stay away and not cause any additional pressure for him. 

They are also born and bred Modo. Modo and Timrå is The local derby here. 

Have a feeling Hughes is going to be just like Pettersson. Not just the amazing skill part, but the maturity and determination to win. These guys hate to lose, they both want to be the best at what they do. Pettersson wants playoffs badly this year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them get in by him willing it so (as long as Markstrom plays lights out). Heck, if his team mates aren't going to get the goals needed, he'll get them himself. We're in for a real treat next year with Pettersson and Hughes leading this team to success.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Have a feeling Hughes is going to be just like Pettersson. Not just the amazing skill part, but the maturity and determination to win. These guys hate to lose, they both want to be the best at what they do. Pettersson wants playoffs badly this year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them get in by him willing it so (as long as Markstrom plays lights out). Heck, if his team mates aren't going to get the goals needed, he'll get them himself. We're in for a real treat next year with Pettersson and Hughes leading this team to success.

I think you mean it'll be a real treat to watch Pettersson and Hughes leading this team to success NEXT MONTH.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 8:39 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Elias Pettersson on Sportsnet 650:

On his goal down the stretch: “Make the playoffs... Of course, I'm happy with the points and how I've played individually but I just want to make the playoffs. I just want to make the playoffs – we won the Swedish championship last year and it felt great, I wanna do that again"

This is why Pettersson deserves the C.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

This is why Pettersson deserves the C.

I don't disagree Pettersson would be a good captain one day, but with Bo here, I can't see them overlooking him to give it to a guy 3 years younger who just got here. The fact that they never gave Bo (or anyone) the C this year makes me think they aren't convinced Bo will be here long-term. I love Horvat, think he's a great player, the complete package, but with Pettersson taking over the #1C spot, Gaudette improving every day, and if they draft a C in the Top 10 this year, Bo might be tradable (for a D?). I know it's not a popular thought, but I do wonder why the hesitation to give the C to Bo. He's done everything expected of a future captain.

Pettersson

J. Hughes / Dach / Turcotte / Zegras / Newhook

Gaudette

Madden

I still think Bo is a better 2 way player. He doesnt have peteys brilliant hockey IQ or shot, but he has great defensive capabilities and omg how good he is on faceoffs. Bo is more natural as a leader. Petey will most likely become the captain once he has matured as a person a bit more. So maybe in 2 years he is captain. But right now i cant find a better captain then Bo for this team. 

4 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Pretty sure Bo feels the same (minus the Swedish part)

It appears we have some good choices and the team is not in a rush to make it

I personally don't see a problem, leaders lead without a C or A

There are multiple players / superstars that have not been Captains. Bo getting it now doesn't mean Pettersson won't get it in 5 years time...

18 hours ago, Timråfan said:

This vid shows pretty much what I'm thinking when I see Peteys plays. 

Decent vid but he really needs to showcase EP40's defensive plays if he wants to convince people he'll be better than McJesus.

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Decent vid but he really needs to showcase EP40's defensive plays if he wants to convince people he'll be better than McJesus.

Well, Peteys +15 in 49 games speaks for it self. Compare it with McDavid in his rookieseason..  - 1 after 45 games. Petterssons defensive plays is on display... 

• Like 1