The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

57 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The line of Leipsic, Gaudette and Virtanen looked pretty good in the last few games of the past season and I would love to see Travis have a long look at that line combo in the preseason. If Virtanen's stick and hand work in the off season pays off; this could be a surprisingly effective energy line that is also capable of chipping in perhaps more than just a few goals. The other line combo I would like to see in preseason would be Eriksson, Gagner and Pettersson or Eriksson, Granlund and Pettersson.

I liked the leipsic gaudette virtanen line.  But Gaudette and the plethora of centers available early in the the first round next year are making me think we might be better off to keep EP on the wing.  Maybe on the weaker left side this year but eventually on the right with Dahlen on the left.  

3 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

I liked the leipsic gaudette virtanen line.  But Gaudette and the plethora of centers available early in the the first round next year are making me think we might be better off to keep EP on the wing.  Maybe on the weaker left side this year but eventually on the right with Dahlen on the left.  

With the way that Elias processes the game; I think, in time, he could learn to play all 3 forward positions extremely well. Imagine the various line combo's that may be options in the years ahead.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I might be one of the few people here that doesn't see Granlund being a part of the core going forward. He missed another 30 or so games last year, only managing 12 points. He's never played close to a full season yet in his career. His most was 69 games in 2016/17.

With prospects like Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich, and young players like Leipsic and Goldobin close to making this team, where does that leave players like Gagner, Baertschi and Granlund? I think they're all gone by season's end or sooner.

I guess Granlund’s being part of our future core depends on how we define core?  In my view, even if Granlund is on our team, he is definitely not a core player.

Pettersson, whether wing or centre, is part of our future core.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I guess Granlund’s being part of our future core depends on how we define core?  In my view, even if Granlund is on our team, he is definitely not a core player.

Pettersson, whether wing or centre, is part of our future core.

I do not consider Granlund as a core player either but for the moment he has value as a contributor to the team. Until the progression in the development of our prospects makes him expendable; he will be part of the lineup heading in to the season. If one or more prospects have an exceptional camp, this expend-ability could very easily happen sooner rather than later IMO.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I might be one of the few people here that doesn't see Granlund being a part of the core going forward. He missed another 30 or so games last year, only managing 12 points. He's never played close to a full season yet in his career. His most was 69 games in 2016/17.

With prospects like Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen, Lind and Gadjovich, and young players like Leipsic and Goldobin close to making this team, where does that leave players like Gagner, Baertschi and Granlund? I think they're all gone by season's end or sooner.

Granlund can play good defensively and Baer may have another level....Gagner has to go though and if the other 2 are outplayed then they should go too...

...and then there is the Eriksson issue....

I do think one or 2 of those 4 guys will make enough of an improvement in there play to be worthwhile....at least until next year when we should get a few guys coming up if they don't make it up this year....

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree on Granlund and I actually have him getting waived on opening night if everyone's healthy:

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Gagner - Goldobin

Roussel - Sutter - Eriksson

Leipsic - Beagle - Virtanen

Schaller

I don't think that's the most likely scenario, but it's what I'd do at this point.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I agree on Granlund and I actually have him getting waived on opening night if everyone's healthy:

Schaller

I don't think that's the most likely scenario, but it's what I'd do at this point.

We'll waive Biega (among others) LONG before we waive Granlund. Granlund could actually fetch a half decent return at the TDL if he can stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Schaller

I understand Schaller had surgery & will be questionable to start the year. And someone will get injured in camp.

Maybe not?  But it’s highly unlikely we will have a 100% healthy team. 

So one, chances are two, and possibly three spots open up. Goldy and Gaunce for me. But I understand the debate. Leipsic, Granlund, Gaudette are all in the mix.  I also appreciate the concept of jettisoning Gagner.

And it will be similar on D

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Schaller

That 2nd line is defensively atrocious. Baer is the only responsible one. Not to mention soft as heck.

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Petersson Horvat Boeser

Rousell Sutter Eriksson

Baertscho Gagner Jake

Gaunce Beagle Granlund 

Goldobin

my projected opening line up

This assuming Schaller isn’t ready to go opening night? Who gets waived when he’s back?

I think for balancing sake I’d like to see Baer on the 2nd line and Roussel on the 3rd.

23 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This assuming Schaller isn’t ready to go opening night? Who gets waived when he’s back?

I think for balancing sake I’d like to see Baer on the 2nd line and Roussel on the 3rd.

That’s why they have camp.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

To be honest, I think the opening roster is going to be really hard to figure out. There are so many possibilities. Combine that with Benning clearly stating he's willing to bury contracts in the minors.

Outside of maybe the first line and a couple of spots here and there, it's essentially throwing meat into a pack of hyenas. lol

Pretty much.  I'm thinking that all these guys know that there's another player breathing down their neck to take their spot (and they've known all summer long.  I think we'll see all kinds of improvement from the current guys and the newbies fighting hard for a spot.  It's going to be a hell of a training camp and pre-season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

To be honest, I think the opening roster is going to be really hard to figure out. There are so many possibilities. Combine that with Benning clearly stating he's willing to bury contracts in the minors.

Outside of maybe the first line and a couple of spots here and there, it's essentially throwing meat into a pack of hyenas. lol

This. 

It's fun and all to project and pick our preferred lineups etc before camp has even started but chances are between injuries, surprises, chemistry, trades etc... we'll all be quite wrong :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1