The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kristoffer Gunnarsson | D

Adarsh Sant

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I remember watching the 2017 Draft, where Benning was mic'd up, and when he traded the #112 to CHI for the #135 (Gunnarsson) and #181 (Palmu), Benning seemed very excited about the prospect of Gunnarsson, saying he's already playing against men in Sweden, and he could be a player. But I looked at his stats, and in 3 season with Frolunda (69 games), he has zero goals and zero assists. He seems like a solid player (205), but not overly tall (6'1"). Is Gunnarsson a player that could eventually make the team, for his defensive game? Canucks are lacking big, physical D that could help them in the playoffs one day. Does Gunnarsson ever get a shot?

As BM noted, seems to play a very N.A. style game and could potentially develop in to a solid, physical 6/7 D IMO.

It's too bad the CBA doesn't allow for shorter term ELCs for players selected in the 5th round and above.  You hate to tie up a NHL contract for three years on another Anton Cederholm and convincing a player to first come over to North America and sign a prove it to me AHL contract isn't easy.  

27 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Probably not a bad thing right now, this is probably a better place for him to develop for the next couple of years.

Yeah, no harm leaving him there for a while, which I think was always the plan (JB says as much in one of the draft videos).

Plus Gunnarsson’s not exactly locked in. As far as I know, the Canucks just need to sign him to an ELC and pay the SHL a predetermined transfer fee and they can bring Gunnarsson over whenever they want, regardless of the length of his SHL contract.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

As BM noted, seems to play a very N.A. style game and could potentially develop in to a solid, physical 6/7 D IMO.

\we need more 6/7 D IMO.  Can never have too many, oh wait.........   

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

Scoff if you want but you need guys like that, good solid, dependable and affordable depth to win. 

KG could become the best 7th defenceman in league history! ;) 

really don’t think he will ever score a goal on a actual goalie in pro hockey, but he does hit like a Mack truck and plays good defence. 

Anytime we talk about a late rounder it is a positive, so credit to this pick. Would like to see him in NA.  He might do better on the smaller ice surface. Who knows, he could actually get an assist or two. :)  

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The problem isn't having 6-7 D men, it is when you play them in top 4 roles consistently.

I don't think the problem is that they play them in top 4 roles as much as we have no one else to play those top 4 roles...

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

On 4/16/2018 at 7:25 PM, aGENT said:

Scoff if you want but you need guys like that, good solid, dependable and affordable depth to win. 

We have too many 6, 7, 8, 9 D.  And yes you can have too many especially when you are trying to draft and develop players with more upside.    

Edited by Borvat

11 minutes ago, Borvat said:

We have too many 6, 7, 8, 9 D.  And yes you can have too many especially when you are trying to draft and develop players with more upside.    

Are we still going to have 'too many' in a couple years when he likely heads over? This isn't about today. Besides, we can always move those depth guys for players like Leipsic, or picks etc.

Players with more upside quickly pass 6-8 D. 

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Are we still going to have 'too many' in a couple years when he likely heads over? This isn't about today. Besides, we can always move those depth guys for players like Leipsic, or picks etc.

Players with more upside quickly pass 6-8 D. 

If the current trend continues we will always have an abundance of bottom tier borderline defensemen, like all the other teams in the NHL.  If he is the best of the bottom then bring him on. 

Edited by Borvat

• 3 weeks later...

At the draft table, Benning and Brackett talked about leaving him "for a year" then bringing him over, considering the D depth in Utica.   They already had Chatfield signed and probably figured Juolevi would be coming back.  Will be interesting to see if they follow through with that this summer.  No word on how they viewed his season, but considering they way he plays it would appear to have been similar to his previous ones.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

im actually excited to see what kind of player he can be in North America.  I'd imagine Emelin type guy.

I know the league is transitioning to speed and skill on the backend, but I still have a soft spot for the old school/throwback dman like Gunnarsson.  Too bad Anton Cederholm hasn't really seem to work out, hopefully Gunnarsson can.