The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ryan Miller could possibly sign with Anaheim

-AJ-

39 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Only speculation that the Canucks made a similar offer to what the Ducks have.  That is $1M + performance bonuses.

The Ducks aren't allowed to talk contract yet. Only talk to him to gauge interest. So they haven't made an offer yet. 

If he gets bought out, bring back Lack.  After reading and listening to reports, the consensus is that Carolina tried to change the way Lack played, and they believe that is why he did not find success in Carolina.  He could be had cheap, is still young, is a wonderful teammate, and was pretty darn good for us when he played in Vancouver.

Perhaps Bernier or Johnson are the better choices, but it would still be cool to see Lack come back and get back on track.

45 minutes ago, kloubek said:

If he gets bought out, bring back Lack.  After reading and listening to reports, the consensus is that Carolina tried to change the way Lack played, and they believe that is why he did not find success in Carolina.  He could be had cheap, is still young, is a wonderful teammate, and was pretty darn good for us when he played in Vancouver.

Perhaps Bernier or Johnson are the better choices, but it would still be cool to see Lack come back and get back on track.

+'d you for your neg someone gave you.

I listened to the same interview Woodley from In Goal and couldn't agree more. If the 'Canes buy him out, I'd happily sign him for $1-$1.5 and get him back to where he was when he left Van. Him and Markstrom had a great relationship to boot.

Now that's not to say I think he can be a starter in this league but I think if our goalie coaches can undo all the garbage they tried to get him to change in Carolina, he'd still be an excellent backup. And cheap at that.

Zero problems with a Markstrom/Lack combo for around $5m combined if they think they can get him back to where he was.

I'd also be pretty happy to get him back and still keep Briebois ::D @Hutton Wink

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I listened to the same interview Woodley from In Goal and couldn't agree more. If the 'Canes buy him out, I'd happily sign him for $1-$1.5 and get him back to where he was when he left Van. Him and Markstrom had a great relationship to boot.

Which was not all that great to begin with, and he's regressed.  Do we really need to bring yet another reclamation project, just because he's so cute?  It's going to be a huge jump as it is to make Markstrom the #1, only to have someone rather flakey backing him up.  Would rather just keep up Bachman if that's the case and sign an AHL goalie to backup Demko and let him run as starter in Utica.

Lots more options out there.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Which was not all that great to begin with, and he's regressed.  Do we really need to bring yet another reclamation project, just because he's so cute?  It's going to be a huge jump as it is to make Markstrom the #1, only to have someone rather flakey backing him up.  Would rather just keep up Bachman if that's the case and sign an AHL goalie to backup Demko and let him run as starter in Utica.

He was always a decent backup. Was he a good starter? Nope.

I'm not sure I'd agree with regressed. I think he was taken off track and asked to play outside his comfort zone and away from his strengths. Like asking Goldobin to take over Sutter's role :lol: I think he'd be just fine again as a backup if we can get him playing back in his comfort zone and to his strengths again. Nobody's expecting him to turn in to Brodeur.

As for those 'options', as those tweets you posted mentioned, when the music stops, we might be left without a chair in the game of musical goalies. I'm not sure he'd be a worse option than anyone else who might still be available after most of the 'better' guys go to other teams. 

I'd rather keep Bachman in Utica to mentor/tandem with Demko and as available depth thanks.

And stay away from the 'cute' stuff Hutty, it's petty and beneath you :P

Was hoping Miller would be the bridge to Markstrom/Demko whether it was one or two years. Especially since we're in at least a two season limbo before more of our youth emerge. That just seemed organic since we're waiting on youth. Can't see Miller playing beyond a couple more seasons anyway.

The key for me was wondering when Miller will accept his own career transition to a backup and how he wants to finish his time in the NHL. Does he want to finish his career as a mentor with the guy who brought him into the league? Or does he want to slide into the backup role on a team that can take a run at the Cup while being closer to his family?

After playing in Buffalo, St. Louis, and Vancouver, not winning, and now making less money, the latter makes way more sense for Miller. There's way more upside personally and professionally.

We can't avoid the next two to three seasons of waiting for youth, so we might as well give Markstrom the opportunity now. If we can land a decent goalie for stability with Markstrom, great!

If not, I'm curious about Markstrom/Bachman. If that's how we roll next season, I'm fine with that. Give Demko starting duties in Utica and sign a backup. 

For me it's more about getting through the next season or two to arrive at Markstrom/Demko. 

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I've never seen Miller let in 8 like Roberto did in Boston. 

Schneider can go from looking all world to looking like a deer in the headlights. 

Miller made some outrageous saves that were all talent, zero chance. And he stood up for Stecher. He was a leader here. 

I, for one, truly appreciate Ryan's time here because of all he brought. He made a great impression on Markstrom. 

This is the best possible outcome. Benning's probably kinda choked but sees it for what it is. 

I think I've seen Luongo and Schneider make many outrageous saves....And pretty sure I saw Miller get lit up a few times not too long ago.

Luongo never let in 8 goals in Boston, he was pulled before that.  We got 8 goals scored on us though.  Know your facts first.

6 minutes ago, JV77 said:

I think I've seen Luongo and Schneider make many outrageous saves....And pretty sure I saw Miller get lit up a few times not too long ago.

Luongo never let in 8 goals in Boston, he was pulled before that.  We got 8 goals scored on us though.  Know your facts first.

When did "don't even think about pulling me" happen then? I can't remember... was it round 1 against the hawks when he allowed 8? 

There may be no good options for a 1b left on the market for us after more attractive teams have signed their guys.

Doesn't particularly bother me as the year is unlikely to yield any success regardless.  At Markstrom's age and number of years in the league, we should be giving him 50-60 starts.  I worry if we get a veteran back up, the team defaults away from Markstrom after a bad start rather than letting him work through bad spells.

It is a good year for letting him sink or swim as expectations are low.  We find out if we have an actual starter, or if we have to go find a guy for 2-3 years while Demko is a back up.

2 hours ago, DJSkingz said:

Is DiPietro able to go to Utica or does he have to be NHL or CHL next year? Would be a good backup to Demko to allow Bachman to backup Markstrom.

He played in the CHL, so I believe he can't play in the AHL next year. It's NHL or CHL, so he'll obviously play in the CHL.

12 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Sorry mate but the players in California State are among the most heavily taxed in the NHL. The top US personal tax rate is almost as high as Canada and California State taxes are close to the highest in the US

I respectfully disagree....the top marginal tax rate in California is 41.95 % vs BC at 47.70%. 

On a $1,000,000 USD contract this would leave $77,625 CAD extra when taking foreign exchange into account.

This does not take into account any taxes Miller would potentially pay on world income.

If you don't want $77,625 more CAD I'll take it off your hands.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

As for those 'options', as those tweets you posted mentioned, when the music stops, we might be left without a chair in the game of musical goalies. I'm not sure he'd be a worse option than anyone else who might still be available after most of the 'better' guys go to other teams. 

Another one bites the dust...

a2373866964_10.jpg

2 hours ago, JV77 said:

Luongo let in 8 in Boston in game 3, he never got pulled. Know your facts first -_-

2 hours ago, JV77 said:

What time is it???

12 passed Luongo 

21 hours ago, DeNiro said:

This needed to happen for his own good.

Sometimes Benning makes some short sighted decisions like this. Miller is the only reason why we weren't dead last in the league last season and will likely be the reason why we wouldn't finish dead last this upcoming season.

Until Demko/Diepetro (or some other young stud goalie) are ready to take the reigns this team isn't and shouldn't be in a position to sign goalies like Miller.

so you prefer the rancid oiler model then

be ugly bad .. horrible team

and only be salvaged by the salvation lottery luck of a generational player

that is a fine business plan

realistic as buying lottery tickets to fund one's retirement

Archived