The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Leon Draisaitl may be traded this summer

4 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Yea, heavy price.

On the other hand, we may have the pieces to get, at least two of those back, making the penalty more acceptable and would make trading veterans like Edler and Tanev to contenders, more realistic, as we wouldn't be as hard pressed to get top 15 picks in return. 

Benning's gift of finding the talent after the first round is, also, very comforting.

To have Draisitl and Horvat 1, 2 would be awesome. 

I would love to see Benning give it a shot. Force Edmonton's hand. 

Yes @Tre Mac pointed out what later first round picks (even Hodgson at #10) can turn out like - marginal players at best.  And who knows?  Maybe the Oilers, instead of getting the four - likely to be later in the round - first round picks, decide to make a trade instead?  Tanev + + +:  Tanev + Goldobin + 2018 first + 2019 first?  

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes @Tre Mac pointed out what later first round picks (even Hodgson at #10) can turn out like - marginal players at best.  And who knows?  Maybe the Oilers, instead of getting the four - likely to be later in the round - first round picks, decide to make a trade instead?  Tanev + + +:  Tanev + Goldobin + 2018 first + 2019 first?  

Regarding Tanev, much has been said about where he might go and what the return is.  My bet is if he does it will be to TO, back comes  Kapanen and depending on how desperate TO is to win right now ( which they appear to considering) either 2018 first or second.

As far as getting Draisaitl I'm pretty sure we'd lose Horvat and one for our cherished prospects.  Building around Drasaitl instead of Horvat and probably Juolevi seems like one step forward, one step back.

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Regarding Tanev, much has been said about where he might go and what the return is.  My bet is if he does it will be to TO, back comes  Kapanen and depending on how desperate TO is to win right now ( which they appear to considering) either 2018 first or second.

As far as getting Draisaitl I'm pretty sure we'd lose Horvat and one for our cherished prospects.  Building around Drasaitl instead of Horvat and probably Juolevi seems like one step forward, one step back.

On two counts we disagree.  First I doubt JB wants Kappanen; he'd likely prefer a 2018 first and second instead.  Second, we don't offer Bo.  It's either the four firsts, or Tanev + + +.  

12 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Every team that played them had the same strategy, shut down mcdavid. Which also opened up the ice for players like Leon, Kassian etc.

Ducks tried like heck to shut down Draisaitl. He was just too dominant. LD is a power forward with lots of skill, already one of the best passers in the entire NHL at a very young age. His game is suited for the playoffs. 

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

On two counts we disagree.  First I doubt JB wants Kappanen; he'd likely prefer a 2018 first and second instead.  Second, we don't offer Bo.  It's either the four firsts, or Tanev + + +.  

You're not getting LD. He's not getting traded, no point in wasting your time and energy with these silly proposals. 

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

You're not getting LD. He's not getting traded, no point in wasting your time and energy with these silly proposals. 

Of course we all know LD is not getting traded, and Edmonton will match any offer sheet.  IT IS SUMMER and WE ARE BORED!  :lol:

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ducks tried like heck to shut down Draisaitl. He was just too dominant. LD is a power forward with lots of skill, already one of the best passers in the entire NHL at a very young age. His game is suited for the playoffs. 

Is his ceiling about that of Joe Thorton?

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is his ceiling about that of Joe Thorton?

Better, I think he will be a dominant playoff performer and win the Conn Smythe. Joe Thornton took years to hit his stride, there was a reason BOS gave up on him. Draisaitl is a different player. Much more power in his game and he can fight thru the heavy playoff style game and dominate. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I agree we should offer Tanev,  I doubt Edmonton would take that offer and only be interested in Horvat...

TO is interested exactly what Tanev has to offer....good article on NHL.com right now laying out what the team needs and is looking for going forward and it fits Tanev to a tee.  Kapanen is a PPG AHler, not sure if Benning would be interested in him, suggesting it might not be enough and they throw in a late first rounder in 2018. ....

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Better, I think he will be a dominant playoff performer and win the Conn Smythe. Joe Thornton took years to hit his stride, there was a reason BOS gave up on him. Draisaitl is a different player. Much more power in his game and he can fight thru the heavy playoff style game and dominate. 

Have to agree. In this guy, can see the combined best attributes that Getzlaf & Thornton have, between them.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup, I would, definitely be more for the trade route myself, but, as Duchene is one of the rumored players going the other way, I think we'd have to step it up as far as a roster player is concerned. It, also, looks like they're looking for a replacement, veteran, center, which is one area we lack in. Sutter would be the best, expendable, option we have. I don't think he gets it done.

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

Making this trade would be like when Toronto traded their first round picks for Kessel and it cost them Seguin & Hamilton.  Ooops.  

28 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Making this trade would be like when Toronto traded their first round picks for Kessel and it cost them Seguin & Hamilton.  Ooops.  

My point is Draisatl, although looking like becoming a great player, is too expensive for us.  Unless JB could work this deal, and acquire in other deals two late first round picks in 2018 and 2019.

Edmonton will do whatever it takes to keep LD, he's pretty crucial.  That being said if there was a deal it would include Bo and as others have said it would not be a straight trade.  Would we want to trade our future captain and potentially one of our best prospects for LD and a plug or late round pick?  LD is awesome, but I can't fathom trading someone with the work ethic and leadership qualities in Horvat this close to the reigns being passed over.  

But it is summer and as Alf said. We are bored.  Maybe Chia takes a bowl full of drugs and wants LD for Dorsett straight trade! 

On 2017-07-27 at 0:42 PM, WHL rocks said:

Joe Thornton took years to hit his stride, there was a reason BOS gave up on him. 

If A few 30+ goal seasons accompanied by a 100+ point season is taking a while to hit his stride.......

Archived