The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Consensus Prospect Rankings - #1

Brad Marchand

CDC Consensus Prospect Rankings - #1  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Going to try and pilot a new CDC project: make 20 polls to try and rank the top 20 Canucks prospects according to you fine people (yeah, I stole it from HFBoards; if SonicY happens to read this, thanks for compiling the prospects list). A new thread will be made every few days or so once the most recent open poll has collected enough votes.

For your reference, here's a list of Canucks prospects who have yet to complete a full NHL season. If I've left any out, let me know and I will add to it:

Rodrigo Abols
Brock Boeser
Matthew Brassard
Guillaume Brisebois
Cole Candella
Michael Carcone
Cole Cassels
Anton Cederholm
Jalen Chatfield
Jonathan Dahlen
Thatcher Demko
Michael DiPietro
Jonah Gadjovich
Adam Gaudette
Nikolay Goldobin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Philip Holm
Lukas Jasek
Olli Juolevi
Joseph LaBate
Yan-Pavel Laplante
Kole Lind
William Lockwood
Zack MacEwen
Evan McEneny
Brett McKenzie
Griffen Molino
Petrus Palmu
Andrey Pedan
Elias Pettersson
Jack Rathbone
Ashton Sautner
Mackenzie Stewart
Jakub Stukel
Jordan Subban
Jake Virtanen
Dmitri Zhukenov

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Just want to clarify, is this based on 'which prospect has the highest potential' (future) or 'which prospect is the most NHL-ready' (current)?

Long-term potential. The most NHL-ready prospect the Canucks have is almost undoubtedly Boeser.

Elias Pettersson, Olli Juolevi, Brock Boeser, and Thatcher Demko are all so close Imo but I gave number one to Pettersson just because he is the youngest and has the most development time to become incredible

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Just want to clarify, is this based on 'which prospect has the highest potential' (future) or 'which prospect is the most NHL-ready' (current)?

Have to go with Pettersson or Demko. 

If all goes well, they could be future all stars. 

Boeser is in the mix as well, but I think the relative importance of a franchise center or goaltender pushes Pettersson and Demko ahead of Boeser.

Close call, but I think that the couple games Boeser got at the end of last year solidified him as our best prospect. He proved his game can translate his game into the NHL which is something none of the other prospects can claim. Sure its a small sample size, but I'd argue that alone gives him the best long-term potential since we don't know if any of the others will translate.

Pettersson might have the highest boom chance out of our prospects, but he could also bust. Out of sheer potential he'd win. But actual long-term potential, Boeser has proven his value more than anyone else.

3 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Long-term potential. The most NHL-ready prospect the Canucks have is almost undoubtedly Boeser.

With that, I think it's Elias Pettersson at the top. Boeser may be a safer pick for what he showed in the NHL in those nine games, but I feel Pettersson has some serious potential to become an elite number one centerman. It's close, but there's no doubt Pettersson and Boeser are our top two prospects.

Regardless of who is the best prospect, I'm just happy with our prospect pool now.

We have Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi, Demko who have potential to be top 3 forwards, top 2 d, and elite level goalie. And Goldobin, Dahlen, and Viranen are highly likely to be top 6, top 9 wingers. With Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund still young enough to round out the forward group, I think we will be able to build a strong team that can beat the other teams with depth. 

If few of the other prospects like Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood also reach their potential, I think we will be able to build a championship caliber team in few years. If we can get one more top level defence prospect, then I think our chances of winning a cup with this generation of the players will greatly improve. I'm hoping we get that top end defence prospect in the next year's draft.

I think most of us can agree that Pettersson/Boeser/Demko/Juolevi/Dahlen (in no particular order) are our top five prospects. I see things getting interesting after number five, and that's where we will see a bigger range of votes being spread out. Or maybe after number seven, with Goldobin/Virtanen. ;)

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I think most of us can agree that Pettersson/Boeser/Demko/Juolevi/Dahlen (in no particular order) are our top five prospects. I see things getting interesting after number five, and that's where we will see a bigger range of votes being spread out. Or maybe after number six, with Virtanen. ;)

dahlen has not shown enough to be obviously in the top 5

i think we have more of a top 4

if you think his link to petersson somehow elevates him

i'm not yet convinced

we can readdress this after preseason is complete

edit; my initial impression is i am pretty stoked by the 2nd rounders drafted this year

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

dahlin has not shown enough to be obviously in the top 5

i think we have more of a top 4

if you think his link to petersson somehow elevates him

i'm not yet convinced

we can readdress this after preseason is complete

Well, the same argument could be applied to Pettersson as well. But Dahlen does have upside and looks to be a very promising player.

36 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Most overall, long term potential, based on what I've seen, its hands down, Pettersson.

Now, all he has to do is live up to that potential.

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

OJ,  Demko,  Petersson - in that order.  Coincidentally those positions imo are the most critical to this franchise right now. 

Would have to agree that an elite PMD,  franchise #1 goalie and top point producing centerman are,  in order,  the most important positions - remains to be seen however if our prospects fit those descriptors. 

I don't necessarily think Juolevi is among the top 3 in this regard.

While he obviously has significant upside, I don't think he quite has the toolbox to be an elite no 1 dman....but rather a great, complimentary top pairing dman, while I do think that Pettersson, Demko, and Boeser have the potential to be elite in their respective positions.

Archived