The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Signing a vet to help groom our youngsters

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

We don't necessarily need to acquire more veterans for leadership. This team has some young future leaders (Horvat, Gudbranson) that understand what it takes to win and how to face during a disappointing time.

Bo and Gud could both use another leader aside from the Sedins. It'll only build their character IMO 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks don't need more veterans. They currently have Henrik, Daniel, Loui, Dorsett and Edler. And you could argue, also Sutter, Gagner, Del Zotto, Wiercioch and Tanev. What they need is for the younger guys to start making a name for themselves. How much mentorship do these guys need? Is Jagr going to come in and do exactly what the Sedins can't? Doubt it. Let TOR sign all of the old guys. Canucks are still rebuilding.

I think especially Jagr of all the names I mentioned would bring in an angle that the Sedins don't already bring. His presence alone would be a positive factor for our youngsters. 

Edler is a very reserved guy... I don't see him as much of a "leader" or "role model" ... although I'm a big fan of his regardless. 

Dorsett... is a bottom 6 leader. Hasn't ever scored the big points, won the big games, etc... 

Loui is a guy making 6mill and producing almost nothing, not much of a leader there.

We have very limited leadership. As incredible as the Sedins are... having them as our only mentors is not a good thing IMO 

2 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Jagr: Yes

Doan: Yes

Iginla: Yes

Ribeiro: Absolutely not, no. That's bad, you should feel bad

Those other guys: Meh

This. And even then, definitely only a one-year deal. I also feel that Markstrom got enough mentoring from Miller already and Horvat has already learned boatloads from the twins. I'm not sure we need more veteran wisdom aside from the twins right now. 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This. And even then, definitely only a one-year deal. I also feel that Markstrom got enough mentoring from Miller already and Horvat has already learned boatloads from the twins. I'm not sure we need more veteran wisdom aside from the twins right now. 

You could say the same in 2008-09 though can't you? 

At 28, Hank and Danny had already got boat loads of mentorship from Naslund, Bert, Linden, Ohlund, ... Kesler and Burr had similar guys and learned from Jarkko and the Cooker too. I'm sure I'm leaving some names out. 

But bringing in Mats @ 38 years old did end up having a further impact and transformed them into stars. Perhaps they were going to be stars anyways, but both Hank & Danny have gone on record saying it helped. Ideally, you sign one of those guys to a 1 year deal, costs nothing but $$ that Aquaman has plenty of and it helps our guys develop.

I agree that Edler is a dud with the social skills lol, and Eriksson also seems like a pretty reserved guy. The Sedins lead by example and I'm not sure they're very vocal. So, basically, the Swedes aren't very good leaders lol. Maybe what they should consider is going after a Rick Nash type of player (just an example) in a few years, once the Sedins, Edler etc are gone. Bring in a former star UFA to help mentor Dahlen, Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind, etc. when that time comes. I'm not sure how Jagr would help the team these days. I loves me some Jagr, but I'm just not sure how that would benefit the team at this stage in the rebuild.  I also agree that Bo is progressing beautifully and at his age is already a leader on this team. Hutton could also become a leader on this team in a few years. He's outspoken and engaging, has a ton of fun and that's contagious.

16 minutes ago, apollo said:

You could say the same in 2008-09 though can't you? 

At 28, Hank and Danny had already got boat loads of mentorship from Naslund, Bert, Linden, Ohlund, ... Kesler and Burr had similar guys and learned from Jarkko and the Cooker too. I'm sure I'm leaving some names out. 

But bringing in Mats @ 38 years old did end up having a further impact and transformed them into stars. Perhaps they were going to be stars anyways, but both Hank & Danny have gone on record saying it helped. Ideally, you sign one of those guys to a 1 year deal, costs nothing but $$ that Aquaman has plenty of and it helps our guys develop.

it's not how much money the owners have. it is how much cap space the team has to spend. if bo is signed for 5 million and gaunce for i million, that leaves about 2 mil left to spend.  i say, let's pass on these guys. 

31 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

No, we signed enough vets already this offseason.  Team speed is already an issue and this season hasn't even started yet.

Also Jagr will never sign here.

You're probably right... and it likely will never happen, but I'm almost positive if the right $$ and fit came along that JJ would say yes to Van. If I was the GM, I could sell him on it, that's for sure. 

He's played for Pitts, Washington, NYR, Philly, Dallas, Boston, NJ... prior to Florida. All places have horrendous cold temperatures during the winter and are certainly inferior cities to Vancouver. The only one you could argue is a nicer city is NY... if you like over crowdedness and garbage on all the sidewalks at night. Way more stuff to do in NY though. 

Florida sure, nicer weather than Van in the winter but go have a look at their housing prices and you can certainly realize it's a dumpster. 

As for team speed, other than Hudler / Vanek, I don't think any of the guys I mentioned would help for that... so you're right in that sense. Doan, Iggy, JJ would only slow us down. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree that Edler is a dud with the social skills lol, and Eriksson also seems like a pretty reserved guy. The Sedins lead by example and I'm not sure they're very vocal. So, basically, the Swedes aren't very good leaders lol. Maybe what they should consider is going after a Rick Nash type of player (just an example) in a few years, once the Sedins, Edler etc are gone. Bring in a former star UFA to help mentor Dahlen, Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind, etc. when that time comes. I'm not sure how Jagr would help the team these days. I loves me some Jagr, but I'm just not sure how that would benefit the team at this stage in the rebuild.  I also agree that Bo is progressing beautifully and at his age is already a leader on this team. Hutton could also become a leader on this team in a few years. He's outspoken and engaging, has a ton of fun and that's contagious.

Lidstrom was a Swede who wasn't very vocal but lead by example. I would argue he was a great leader. I see the Sedins in a similar fashion. 

I cant really see any of Doan, Jagr or Iginla having much interest in signing here. We are bottom feeders currently and the travel time in Vancouver is hard on old players. 

Jagr has enough production that he will have numerous suitors for him.

Iginla is from Edmonton. With the rise of Edmonton and Calgary, I'd imagine they'd be near the top of his list. If he can't get signed on to a contender, I see the Canucks as a potential possibility. I think he'd want to get one last chance at a cup but if he can't, I think he might take an opportunity to play one more year close to home

Doan is from what I've heard pretty dedicated to his family. Travel time I'm thinking be a bit much for him. If he doesn't get signed close to home I think he'll retire

4 hours ago, crobar said:

Does anybody actually believe  signing Sundin turned us into a dominant team. I believe all that did was waste 10 million dollars. In my opinion Sundin added zero value to Vancouver maybe less than Messier.

Sundin had a positive impact on the team for his 1/2 season. Messier, ripped the teams heart out, and had the team wandering in the wilderness. At least Sundin didn't insist on bringing a bunch of ex-Leafs in, and take over the leadership of the team. He was just one of the guys. Points for Messier don't matter, his disaster of leadership, and coaches giving him monster minutes when he was past his prime was a dark time in Canucks history. 

Let's just be thankful that Sundin didn't accept the second year of the contact because I'm not sure how that would have worked out. 

28 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sundin had a positive impact on the team for his 1/2 season. Messier, ripped the teams heart out, and had the team wandering in the wilderness. At least Sundin didn't insist on bringing a bunch of ex-Leafs in, and take over the leadership of the team. He was just one of the guys. Points for Messier don't matter, his disaster of leadership, and coaches giving him monster minutes when he was past his prime was a dark time in Canucks history. 

Let's just be thankful that Sundin didn't accept the second year of the contact because I'm not sure how that would have worked out. 

Yup... it really worked out perfectly that he only played half the year. I think MG was just trying to get his attention with the 2 years 10 AAV... bold move but it paid off. 

1 hour ago, HockeydownUnder said:

Lidstrom was a Swede who wasn't very vocal but lead by example. I would argue he was a great leader. I see the Sedins in a similar fashion. 

Which is exactly why we need another vet IMO... Sedins are both quiet leaders... they definitely speak up in the room more so than they did in their 20's but they're the same type of leader and mentor. 

Iggy, Doan or JJ shouldn't be looked at just for their on ice assets, it's in hopes of them having a ripple down affect on our young guys for years to come

I've heard it multiple times but both Sedins and Linden said having Sundin with come in, helped the Sedins game. A guy like Iggy, Doan, JJ, surely would have similar impacts on the likes of Brock, Bo, Jake... etc... even Sutter perhaps.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/calgary-herald/20100414/284945311218583 

I think we've got enough veterans on this roster, as well as guys close to or in their prime, to complement the kids well. They're not the best veterans in the league but they'll do.

Veterans: Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Eriksson, Dorsett, Edler

Prime: Sutter (close to a veteran now), Gudbranson, Del Zotto, Tanev

Those veterans are slowly going to drop down the depth chart and probably retire in the next few seasons, while the guys in their prime now will slowly become our veteran leaders. In the meanwhile, the rookies and sophmores from last season will take bigger roles and bigger steps forward. Seems like a nice progression plan to me. I like the split we have at the moment.

Nucks don't need more "vets" 

college players coming in seem more mature and then the gems like Horvat don't need even more  vets taking  ice time.

guys that need to have these vets showing them what it takes should be in the farm learning that lesson the NHL is for big boys.

the team had lots of vets and good leaders  when McCann and virtanen showed up it didn't help either one of them figure out how or what it takes to be a pro. This notion of veteran leadership and mentoring is overvalued. Pro's young or old are hungry to push them selves and be better and learn from their mistakes as well as other coaches and a couple respected vets is more than enough,

guys that continually need guidance either figure it out or hodgson no amount of "mentoring" can fix attitude and dedication. 

22 hours ago, apollo said:

Ribeiro was a joke :P

All those younger guys... can be mentors but not the same affect a character like Jagr, Doan or Iggy would have. It's easier for a Virtanen, Bo, Brock, Hutt, look up to one of those 3 guys rather than who you mentioned who are all in their 20's 

Too late to buy out, two more years of DD... he's a good character guy and solid when healthy. I think he'll be an asset. Worst comes to worse... we waive him and save 900k on the cap. 

You could say the same about the 2008-09 team that Sundin joined... almost identical # of vets. Bringing in Mats had a trickling down affect on the organization... both the Sedins and even Linden have acknowledged this. It's possible a guy like JJ, Doan or Iggy would have the same affect IMO 

I think the only two true vets we have are the Sedins... who are similar characters. It would be beneficial if we got another veteran voice that's different than Hanks & Danny's

Edler? Dorsett> Erikson? We have many vets and I don't think we need more

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Edler? Dorsett> Erikson? We have many vets and I don't think we need more

I mentioned regarding Edler already... he's one of my favourite players on the team but he's less vocal than a snail and far less than the Sedins. I don't consider him one as much as I like him. 

Loui is not a great example.. 6mill and plays as if he's worth 1.5mill... doesn't seem vocal either

Dorsett is 30 and he is a pretty decent vet to have. I still think we need more.

I doubt JB does though so he's probably with you.

Archived