The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Alex Kerfoot to sign with Colorado Avalanche

6 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

This reeks of self entitlement to me.  I understand the logic behind wanting an opportunity, but it's not like it's not there with VAN as well.  You play well and earn your way into the line up- that's how it should be.  Stetcher proved it.

Agree! At 23 Kerfoot should know what he is as a player and whether he could compete for a spot with the Canucks. If he thinks the Av's are an easier route so be it. I want a player who wants to be here and is willing to battle for it. Stecher is that type of player. 

36 minutes ago, sedinery55 said:

We would have had a log jam at centre. Obviously, the kid wants to play, and I don't think the Canucks were going to guarantee him anything

31 minutes ago, Jaku said:

FRIG. I definitely wanted to see Alex come to Vancouver. He's a good skater, and has offensive upside, would have added to the Canucks lineup. 

28 minutes ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

That's fair - as a bottom-feeding team, guaranteeing a rookie college FA playing time is the total opposite of what we should be doing.  Now, onto signing Bo so we can start the year with a Killer B's line (Baer, Bo, Brock) ::D

Like @Jaku, I am disappointed that Kerfoot did not sign with Vancouver. Basically, the more good prospects you have, the better. And it is always nice to see a local kid who grew up rooting for the Canucks play on the team.

I am pretty sure that no GM would guarantee NHL playing time to a college FA at Kerfoot's level. No doubt the Canucks said that he would have an opportunity to compete for a spot on the team in preseason and Colorado said the same thing. But it is more likely that he would make the team in Colorado given the Canucks' depth at center.

Financially it is a big deal for Kerfoot. I assume that his contract will be something like 800K in the NHL and 70K in the AHL -- a difference of maybe 700K or more in salary. (And he gets the signing bonus either way.)

Sakic may also have been a better salesman. I appreciate that both both Benning and Green are straight shooters. But I don't think either one could make much of a living selling used cars. And the Canucks may have been restrained given the way things worked out with Tryamkin after promising him that he would not have to go to Utica and (probably) after committing to Larssen that he would get a long look on the big team instead of being sent to Utica.

It is kind of ironic that despite finishing second to last in 2016-17, the Canucks have enough depth to scare off a college FA. But it is true. The problem is that the Canucks have a lot of actual and potential bottom 6 forwards, and not enough (if any) legitimate first liners. Obviously we have high hopes for Boeser, Pettersson and maybe Dahlen, but it is a big step from hopes to performance.

The same on D -- lots of actual and potential bottom pairing guys, maybe second pairing guys, but no legitimate top pairing guys on a good team.

But contending for a Cup is all about the top few players on a team. Other guys matter, of course, but you can't contend for a Cup without elite players, as shown in http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/star-power-in-the-nhl-which-teams-have-it-and-how-much-does-it-take-to-win-the-cup.

9 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

This reeks of self entitlement to me.  I understand the logic behind wanting an opportunity, but it's not like it's not there with VAN as well.  You play well and earn your way into the line up- that's how it should be.  Stetcher proved it.

Im not sure if thats completely fair to the guy ..   You get one life .. he's trying to take a path that gives him the best chance to have an N.H.L career ..  would anyone else make a different decision ?  does he owe our franchise something ? our city ? 

I would have like it if he chose us but I dont think he's self entitled just because he chose the Ads

7 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

He wants money along with opportunity.  You can't fault him too much for that. 

I just question his judgement in choosing the Avs.  That situation is going to get frustrating for him quick.  Joe must be one heck of a snake oil salesman.  Sakic is doing a very poor job with that team.  Had he gone to a more stable franchise, like the Canucks, he may have had to pay his dues, but it would be better for him in the long run.

Young and dumb...

Kerfoot is a C, and probably looked at the Canucks depth chart (prospects) and realized "I'll never make this team". With the Avs he may get a shot in the bottom 6, depending what they do with Duchene and if the future top 2 Cs will be MacKinnon and Jost.

Not a bad decision for him with  the depth at centre on the Canucks in comparison to the Avs. It would have been nice to land another prospect for the pool but time to move on. 

... GMJB refocus on Horvat now please. Getting a little too close to preseason puck for all us Horvat fans. 

23 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I agree with you. He went with what he wanted to hear from the avs organization. I remember Stetcher mentioned that he didnt want to go to an organization where they were pretty much telling him a spot would be given to him. He wanted to earn it and he did.

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Just waiting to see when the rumours of his father buying the Avs will start to surface... :lol:

Is his dad rich? 

Assuming they live in West Van... and owned property here 20 years ago, their values have sky rocketed but enough to buy a hockey team? 

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

Is his dad rich? 

Assuming they live in West Van... and owned property here 20 years ago, their values have sky rocketed but enough to buy a hockey team? 

Pretty sure his Dad is a majority owner of the Whitecaps.

Yup.. Per Wikipedia

Vancouver Whitecaps FC is owned by a group of four investors; Greg Kerfoot, Steve Luczo, Jeff Mallett, and Steve Nash.[66] The group has a collective net worth over $2 billion.[67] Kerfoot has been the majority owner of the Whitecaps since 2002, when he saved the club from contraction after previous owner David Stadnyk left the club, selling it to United Soccer Leagues.[66][67][68] He was previously the chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) of Crystal Decisions.[69]

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

He will still have to earn his spot on the team as I don't think he's being guaranteed an NHL roster spot (MacKinnon, Duchene, Soderberg, Wilson, Compher and maybe even Jost, plus recently signed NCAA free agent Toninato as center depth). He found a team that has the least depth and may possibly give him that opportunity. He's 23 years old, so his window to make the NHL is not that big. He could've chosen a better team, but he may not ever get a shot on a team with good depth.

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

Is his dad rich? 

His dad is part owner of the Whitecaps, so I think he has some funds. Maybe not to buy the team on his own.

1 hour ago, Lulover88 said:

Im not sure if thats completely fair to the guy ..   You get one life .. he's trying to take a path that gives him the best chance to have an N.H.L career ..  would anyone else make a different decision ?  does he owe our franchise something ? our city ? 

I would have like it if he chose us but I dont think he's self entitled just because he chose the Ads

I agree... it is patently unfair to say the guy has to possibly tank his career in order to come here.

He is 23, and I believe will have a two year ELC that takes him to 25.  At that time he needs to have proven himself to the point he can get himself a further contract and at more than league minimum.  Players are peaking at 28 now, so he really only has three or four peak earning years available to him.  No one is expecting him to blow the doors off the league and be in line for a long term big money deal, he will at best be a bottom of middle of the roster guy who lives in 1-3 year contracts until he falls out of the NHL.

With us he almost certainly goes to Utica for this season and there are enough guys above him on the depth chart that he likely doesn't see a call up (we have wingers who are natural centres that will get shuffled over in case of a glut of injuries).  That cuts his ability to prove himself an NHLer down significantly and then he has to hope to get on the roster out of camp next year when he has an expiring contract looming.

I probably would have picked the Rangers if I were him because they are a good team that happens to be thin at that position and can't afford to sign more expensive guys.  In Colorado he could end up with prime minutes and increase his value more, or he could fall victim to a team that is in shambles where even star players are unable to put up points.

Archived