The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner | C/W

-AJ-

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

As the other gentlemen already pointed out, Benning's 'track record' is just fine and gets highly overblown by some.

Eriksson's the only real signing of consequence with an overly unpleasant odor lingering around it. Even Gagner's is basically a non-issue given the short term and relatively low salary. He was brought in as expendable insurance/depth, performed that function and is now elsewhere :bored:

And even then, Eriksson still has something to offer, albeit at a high cap hit. Sam, unfortunately, is a victim of our prospect progression.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else think that the ruthlessness with which gagner and del zotto have been buried by the canucks is indicative of the fact that they were probably linden signings? and if that's the case, how big a role did those signings play in the schism forming between linden and the rest of management and ownership?

2 hours ago, tas said:

anyone else think that the ruthlessness with which gagner and del zotto have been buried by the canucks is indicative of the fact that they were probably linden signings? and if that's the case, how big a role did those signings play in the schism forming between linden and the rest of management and ownership?

Interesting thought, but I don’t see it. It might just be a feeling I have but Benning has always seemed to me to have a bit of ‘shoot from the hip’ on acquiring players (I recall when they had a video of acquiring Bonino and everyone was on the fence except Benning pushing the issue cause ‘how good he can dish’).

Lots of signings since then have felt the same as that trade - it’s available so jump on it!

At least he deals properly with his (assumed) signings when better options become available.

4 hours ago, tas said:

Benning has told the press and fans multiple times that he would make room for players who were better. Gagner and MDZ simply are not what the Canucks need right now. A necessary move by Benning. 

4 hours ago, tas said:

They were brought in to fill spots until better options came along. Insurance against development time. Warm bodies and nothing more.

Literally nobody should be surprised by this.

On 12/12/2018 at 5:51 PM, J-P said:

Isn't his record something like 50/50? No stats to back it up, but I'd think that's at least as good as most GM records. Free agency is really overrated outside the top names (and often among them as well).

I like the Beagle and Roussel signings, I understand the thinking regarding Louie although the timing for that deal seemed off, Gagner and Schaller I don't understand at all.

Happy to some FA research in a future thread :)

On 12/24/2018 at 9:07 AM, The 5th Line said:

Stop gaps should be one year contracts, played to build value and moved at the deadline.  Not signed 3 years then buried in the minors after 1.  

Pretty sure Gaudette would be okay in Utica right now as well.

Was Gagner really a stop gap though? When he was brought in, he was coming off a pretty decent season in Columbus and looked to be on the bounce back. He would have signed here when he was turning 28 which is really where a lot of players are at their prime. Therefore, I don't think he was signed intentionally as a stop gap but rather a long term player for us. If you think about it, this was before we knew how good Boeser or Pettersson was. We basically had Horvat and Sutter outside of Henrik in center position and was likely going to need someone starting this year. Obviously, that didn't work out for us, and we've been fortunate having Boeser and Pettersson as well, but that's hindsight for you.

That being said, perhaps that very fact that his contract was based on 1 previous season (at least after having multiple poor seasons) was the problem in itself. The payment was pretty high and long based off of what really was that one season and maybe what he had done what seems like long ago in Edmonton.

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

Was Gagner really a stop gap though? When he was brought in, he was coming off a pretty decent season in Columbus and looked to be on the bounce back. He would have signed here when he was turning 28 which is really where a lot of players are at their prime. Therefore, I don't think he was signed intentionally as a stop gap but rather a long term player for us. If you think about it, this was before we knew how good Boeser or Pettersson was. We basically had Horvat and Sutter outside of Henrik in center position and was likely going to need someone starting this year. Obviously, that didn't work out for us, and we've been fortunate having Boeser and Pettersson as well, but that's hindsight for you.

That being said, perhaps that very fact that his contract was based on 1 previous season (at least after having multiple poor seasons) was the problem in itself. The payment was pretty high and long based off of what really was that one season and maybe what he had done what seems like long ago in Edmonton.

Benning was asked about that after free agency.  He answered no and that Gagner, DelZotto were players looking to take the next step in their careers and that if they do well he hopes to extend them.  Gagner and DelZotto also talked about how that was the motivation to sign in Vancouver.   

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

We had possibly retiring Sedins and prospects most thought were a good couple years away (Pettersson and Gaudette in particular). He was brought in as short term insurance against those things. To fill out a roster with 'not Megnas' with some bonafide, 'good pro' NHL talent.

Ie: stop gap.

I honestly don't know why this is even a discussion.

14 hours ago, The Lock said:

With Gagner's history in the NHL how could you view his signing other than a depth deal as the Canucks waited for their youth to develop? You can question the $'s and term but he could likely demand that coming off his year in Columbus. That year does not change the slide in his career but provided a blip. In reality his signing in Columbus was a last gasp IMHO. Not saying he does not have talent but his reactions seem a 1/2 second slow. I still hope Benning can get something for him in a TDL deal. 

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

We had possibly retiring Sedins and prospects most thought were a good couple years away (Pettersson and Gaudette in particular). He was brought in as short term insurance against those things. To fill out a roster with 'not Megnas' with some bonafide, 'good pro' NHL talent.

Ie: stop gap.

I honestly don't know why this is even a discussion.

The contract says he's a 'good pro' NHL player but he's in the AHL. That's the problem. 

It doesn't matter what type of player he is or what role the player has, you can't give someone a three year contract and then have them out of the league after 1. 

20 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

JB is much better at the draft table than he is a signing FA's.

Eriksson and Gags are the only really negative FAs. Other than that everyone else is fine.

MDZ despite his poor play hasn't been a terrible signing imo. He's being asked to do more than he's capable of, as are pretty much all our D-men except maybe Tanev. Beagle, Schaller and Roussel have all been okay, Beagle and Roussel I'd argue were great pickups so far. Schaller is struggling, but 2 years 1.9mil is peanuts for a team that has tons of players still on ELCs/Bridge contracts. Stecher was a great FA signing. Miller was a good signing, just sucked he wanted to be in Cali cause he'd still be here if he didn't. Vrbata was an okay signing, what was that a 2/3 year deal? It's not Benning's fault Vrbata forgot how to score. There are a few more I can't really think of, but overall Benning's FA signings are over exaggerated by the negative nancies.

50 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Shoulda slapped another year on Del Zotto and Schallers contract as well.  Stop gaps should be getting 3 years 9 mil minimum.  

If Delzaster, Gagme, and Schaller are there worst UFA signings during our rebuild, that’s no worries.  (I think Loui E was bad too btw) these guys all come off the books when we’re rebuilt, and JB is looking to tinker around the edges.  

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Eriksson and Gags are the only really negative FAs. Other than that everyone else is fine.

MDZ despite his poor play hasn't been a terrible signing imo. He's being asked to do more than he's capable of, as are pretty much all our D-men except maybe Tanev. Beagle, Schaller and Roussel have all been okay, Beagle and Roussel I'd argue were great pickups so far. Schaller is struggling, but 2 years 1.9mil is peanuts for a team that has tons of players still on ELCs/Bridge contracts. Stecher was a great FA signing. Miller was a good signing, just sucked he wanted to be in Cali cause he'd still be here if he didn't. Vrbata was an okay signing, what was that a 2/3 year deal? It's not Benning's fault Vrbata forgot how to score. There are a few more I can't really think of, but overall Benning's FA signings are over exaggerated by the negative nancies.

I was not implying that JB was really bad with FA signings more so that he was very good in drafting. He has been reasonably decent signing FA's such as Roussel and Beagle not to mention MacEwen, Sautner, McEneny and Chatfield in Utica.

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I was not implying that JB was really bad with FA signings more so that he was very good in drafting. He has been reasonably decent signing FA's such as Roussel and Beagle not to mention MacEwen, Sautner, McEneny and Chatfield in Utica.

Yeah I picked up on it a bit late that it was more of a compliment to his drafting than an indictment of his FA prowess. Still felt it was needed to say that his work in Free Agency isn't nearly as bad as some around here make it out to be. Benning overall has done a very good job with this team. His early work wasn't great, but he was a rookie GM and was learning on the job. For growing pains he did really well.

Archived