The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

13 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Got out tanked by a playoff team tonight what the heck is going on lol

Yeah costly win as we didn't take advantage of the rare Buffalo win the night before. Also bringing us closer to the pack. I want to stay in 3rd last with the outside hope of Buffalo passing us guaranteeing us 5th overall at worst. I'd be happy with any of the projected top 5 right now. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Yeah costly win as we didn't take advantage of the rare Buffalo win the night before. Also bringing us closer to the pack. I want to stay in 3rd last with the outside hope of Buffalo passing us guaranteeing us 5th overall at worst. I'd be happy with any of the projected top 5 right now. 

I see us needing two more elite guys: one dman, and one forward.  

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Would be great but I think once Bo Scorvat come back out win loss ratio is gonna get a little better. I see us finishing about 5th or 6th last. Gonna have to have some lottery luck this year as I’m a huge fan of the top 4.

On 14/01/2018 at 6:51 AM, Alflives said:

I see us needing two more elite guys: one dman, and one forward.  

yeah, you mean like dahlin and jack hughes? the odds are reasonably with us over other teams. we're looking pretty good in the next few years and if a few of these guys pan out we could have one of our most exciting teams. but then when else have we drafted top 6, 3 years in a row with a likely-hood of a 4th year high pick. to mind it seems to me, when times were tough, the best we usually picked was 10th or 11th most times. no wonder, other than a few bright spots we have been an unspectacular franchise. it looks like jb sort of backed his way into drafting this now brighter future for the team and it seems like everything has just about worked out perfect to this point

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, granpappy said:

yeah, you mean like dahlin and jack hughes? the odds are reasonably with us over other teams. we're looking pretty good in the next few years and if a few of these guys pan out we could have one of our most exciting teams. but then when else have we drafted top 6, 3 years in a row with a likely-hood of a 4th year high pick. to mind it seems to me, when times were tough, the best we usually picked was 10th or 11th most times. no wonder, other than a few bright spots we have been an unspectacular franchise. it looks like jb sort of backed his way into drafting this now brighter future for the team and it seems like everything has just about worked out perfect to this point

Totally agree.  Picking in the middle, year after year, is a sure recipe for a mediocre (at best) team.  I don't think JB and management (owners too) intended to tank, but I'm glad the team played poorly enough to collect those top picks.  Just hitting on two of the high ones,  and lucking out on a couple later picks, should result in a much better team, when the rebuild is complete.  If we get Dhalin, that would make our rebuilt team all the better.  Or, JB could get lucky with a later pick of a dman, like the Hawks did with Keith.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  Picking in the middle, year after year, is a sure recipe for a mediocre (at best) team.  I don't think JB and management (owners too) intended to tank, but I'm glad the team played poorly enough to collect those top picks.  Just hitting on two of the high ones,  and lucking out on a couple later picks, should result in a much better team, when the rebuild is complete.  If we get Dhalin, that would make our rebuilt team all the better.  Or, JB could get lucky with a later pick of a dman, like the Hawks did with Keith.  

With Canuck luck I don't even contemplate Dhalin unless there are some very odd trades. I do look at the top 5 players and hope there is a hidden gem. Look at what other teams have been drafting, players that make a dent now or are at least playing.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With Horvat coming back I would not be surprised to see the team make a late surge. It would be just like the Twins to finish strong into retirement. It might come down to who Benning moves into the TDL a to how the team finishes. My ideal scenario is that he moves Vanek and Tanev at a minimum. Hopefully whoever he deals will yield another 

1st & 2nd Rounders. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, granpappy said:

if the oilers (very skilled tanking machine) were to out-manoeuvre us and pick up dahlin, a distinct possibility at this point, i wonder if bettman and the govs would pick up on the fact that the new lottery system is f*******  

No. The Brinks truck being driven by Darryl Katz pulling into Bettman's front gate says otherwise.

On 2018-01-14 at 10:10 PM, granpappy said:

if the oilers (very skilled tanking machine) were to out-manoeuvre us and pick up dahlin, a distinct possibility at this point, i wonder if bettman and the govs would pick up on the fact that the new lottery system is f*******  

That tweaking should be tweaked even more. Any team that luck's out as much as the Coilers should be progressively given higher odds to land in the top three. Or at the very least picking # 1.

25 minutes ago, kilgore said:

That tweaking should be tweaked even more. Any team that luck's out as much as the Coilers should be progressively given higher odds to land in the top three. Or at the very least picking # 1.

They normally have to create a new scale for this year.  Last year 3rd and Vegas had the same number of combinations allocated to them and that no longer makes sense to have 3rd and 4th with the same odds.  The earlier the better - setting the odds once the standings are pretty much set is probably not a good idea.

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

With Horvat coming back I would not be surprised to see the team make a late surge. It would be just like the Twins to finish strong into retirement. It might come down to who Benning moves into the TDL a to how the team finishes. My ideal scenario is that he moves Vanek and Tanev at a minimum. Hopefully whoever he deals will yield another 

1st & 2nd Rounders. 

Moving Tanev would almost guarantee a bottom five finish, wouldn't it?  Would that be openly tanking if JB did that?

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Moving Tanev would almost guarantee a bottom five finish, wouldn't it?  Would that be openly tanking if JB did that?

Moving Tanev would be asset optimization. I am not denigrating Tanev as a player in fact complimenting his potential return. When I say move Tanev it is relying on Benning to optimize the deal. Moving Tanev for less than a 1st Rounder and a quality prospect is no deal IMHO. Why do I pick Tanev rather than other more popular CDC options? It is about transition and where the roster will be in 3 years. I consider Tanev one of the more injury prone options. His contract has value. A 2018 1st Round pick should yield a player who could make the Canuck roster within the 3 years. 

I was a fan of moving Edler at one point but have cooled on the idea thinking that Gudbranson might be gone. Gone not because of the negative marks he gets on CDC but more because his market value as a UFA will probably price him out of Vancouver. He is enough of a free spirit that he could resign at a discount to be part of a Canadian team rebuild. If he does I can see him and Edler providing the d-side framework for another 3 years. A big question might be MDZ. I doubt he would bring more than a 3rd Rounder but is that worth it in a strong draft? Even tho he gets caught a lot I like his battle and he has another year which makes sense considering the depth issues and his potential worth at next years TDL. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Moving Tanev would be asset optimization. I am not denigrating Tanev as a player in fact complimenting his potential return. When I say move Tanev it is relying on Benning to optimize the deal. Moving Tanev for less than a 1st Rounder and a quality prospect is no deal IMHO. Why do I pick Tanev rather than other more popular CDC options? It is about transition and where the roster will be in 3 years. I consider Tanev one of the more injury prone options. His contract has value. A 2018 1st Round pick should yield a player who could make the Canuck roster within the 3 years. 

I was a fan of moving Edler at one point but have cooled on the idea thinking that Gudbranson might be gone. Gone not because of the negative marks he gets on CDC but more because his market value as a UFA will probably price him out of Vancouver. He is enough of a free spirit that he could resign at a discount to be part of a Canadian team rebuild. If he does I can see him and Edler providing the d-side framework for another 3 years. A big question might be MDZ. I doubt he would bring more than a 3rd Rounder but is that worth it in a strong draft? Even tho he gets caught a lot I like his battle and he has another year which makes sense considering the depth issues and his potential worth at next years TDL. 

Excellent post @Boudrias.

I agree with you, and I'm not adverse (personally) to trading Tanev, I am still of the mind that trading Tanev could be considered openly tanking though.

• Thanks 2