The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Dale Tallon (Florida) still interested in Gudbranson {from The Province Provies}

7 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Except Gudbranson is a UFA and he specifically signed a one year deal so he would be a UFA at the end of the year and I would rather get something than have him walk away which is why I say trade him if the offer is right or he isn't signed by the trade deadline.

Not getting the relevance of your response to my post.  I stated that I wouldn't mind a trade if Foote was part of it; I just don't want another small C in the exchange.

I saw the 1yr deal for Guddy as a 'show me' contract.  Yes, he will be a UFA, but I see no reason why he wouldn't want to return to Vancouver.  UFA's re-sign to their current team all the time.

Just now, higgyfan said:

Not getting the relevance of your response to my post.  I stated that I wouldn't mind a trade if Foote was part of it; I just don't want another small C in the exchange.

I saw the 1yr deal for Guddy as a 'show me' contract.  Yes, he will be a UFA, but I see no reason why he wouldn't want to return to Vancouver.  UFA's re-sign to their current team all the time.

There is a lot of relevance. We are in no position to let UFA's walk. Florida would be able to pay him way more money on a contending team. Goodluck resigning him. 

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

There is a lot of relevance. We are in no position to let UFA's walk. Florida would be able to pay him way more money on a contending team. Goodluck resigning him. 

Again, you are ignoring the fact that I said that I wouldn't mind the trade if it was for Foote.  I just don't want another smallish C.

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I dont know about you, but i dont see the Panthers as a contending team. Not enough depth and wtf Ekblad youre killing me in fantasy. I see our future as something thats building a lot of momentum. One more solid draft, a couple key additions and this team could be playoff bound in a couple years. 

45 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I have never understood the rationalization of getting rid of a young proven NHLer for a prospect who has never played an NHL game. Especially when that player is a key piece of the puzzle like Guddy is to the Canucks. That's like saying lets trade Bo for a top prospect. What a ridiculous idea!

No it's not, you're not considering the whole situation.  Guddy is a UFA this summer, he holds the cards on whether he's going to be a canucks this time next year.  If it doesn't look like we are going to be able to sign him, the best thing for us to do would be to move him so that we retain an asset for him.  Would you not agree? In my opinion if we are moving him i want future replacement (we've already lost Tryamkin and Pedan for size on the back end) so a young Foote would make the loss hurt less. We can argue about what you think the return value should be (future vs proven) but a ridiculous idea would be thinking it's smart to let him walk for nothing.

8 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

It's a bit early for it, but I would ask for Luongo back to bury his contract on LTIR. Plus every season we have the contract now, the penalty if he retires will decrease.

Are you planning to "Nancy Kerrigan" Luongo? You need a long term injury to bury him in LTIR 

47 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

Can you imagine Tryamkin playing Greens system?

Hopefully Larionov is paying attention, because THIS is how Tryamkin was playing last year .... but under Willie, that was a big no-no.

He would absolutely turn into a stud playing this style. How the hell are you gonna stop a guy who's 6'7" 265 lbs rushing the puck from his own end and has tunnel vision for the other net?

McDavid and his "40mph" pffffttt...... imagine that speed, now add 6" and 70 lbs

BOOM 

If I were Benning I would be doing everything under Heaven to get that kid back here. Right now. Buy his contact out over there if you have to. He is exactly the type of Dman this team needs to really take it to the next level. SIZE, lots of speed, can skate amazingly well, and can knock heads with the biggest nastiest guys in the league - and win.

I was out of plus 1's. I don't think Tryamkin was as fast as you remember but I agree with your sentiment. Imagine if Tryamkin wasn't a doofus at the beginning of last year and accepted a short stint in the AHL and just got to know Travis Green? If BFG wasn't so thickheaded he might have given Green a chance then and been inspired to stick around now. But I am just spitballin.

11 hours ago, Jaku said:

Don't get me wrong, I like how Gudbranson plays the game. Any player that puts Lucic on his rear-end is okay with me. But, unfortunately he is an expendable asset. While we may enjoy hits and plays like this, Erik's skill set isn't exactly screaming elite and if Benning believes that he can get a player that will be a better return in the end then I don't think he'll pass up on it.

I don't think Gudbranson is an expendable asset. We don't have a player of his skill set; big, mobile right-handed defenseman who can log a lot of minutes in a shutdown role while playing a physical game and keeping other teams' goons in check. If anything, we should Tanev is the expendable asset as we have Chatfield in the minors who plays a similar role as Tanev (although certainly not at his level yet).

20 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No it's not, you're not considering the whole situation.  Guddy is a UFA this summer, he holds the cards on whether he's going to be a canucks this time next year.  If it doesn't look like we are going to be able to sign him, the best thing for us to do would be to move him so that we retain an asset for him.  Would you not agree? In my opinion if we are moving him i want future replacement (we've already lost Tryamkin and Pedan for size on the back end) so a young Foote would make the loss hurt less. We can argue about what you think the return value should be (future vs proven) but a ridiculous idea would be thinking it's smart to let him walk for nothing.

I guess what I don't get is the assumption that he does not want to resign here. I think he signed a 1 year contract mainly because he was injured last year and could not therefore be assessed correctly. Obviously he is an important part of this team going forward and the team will pay him accordingly. I agree if it comes down to losing him for nothing then we discuss what we can get for him but I don't think we are at that juncture yet.

5 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I don't think Gudbranson is an expendable asset. We don't have a player of his skill set; big, mobile right-handed defenseman who can log a lot of minutes in a shutdown role while playing a physical game and keeping other teams' goons in check. If anything, we should Tanev is the expendable asset as we have Chatfield in the minors who plays a similar role as Tanev (although certainly not at his level yet).

Very true. Infact, Gudbranson may get an overpayment in Vancouver, precisely because he is the ONLY guy with his skill-set that we have : a big, tough crease-clearing defensive defenceman. Even though players like Hutton, Stecher, Tanev, Edler etc. are more multi-faceted than Guddy, we have multiple of them in our club. 

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I guess what I don't get is the assumption that he does not want to resign here. I think he signed a 1 year contract mainly because he was injured last year and could not therefore be assessed correctly. Obviously he is an important part of this team going forward and the team will pay him accordingly. I agree if it comes down to losing him for nothing then we discuss what we can get for him but I don't think we are at that juncture yet.

I'm not assuming it's a giving that he won't be back, the only people that would know that is Guddy and mgmt.  But as the year goes on, and we get closer to approaching TD without an extension, it's going to be something we need to consider.  All i said is, If we do get to that point, i want a young replacement to be our main target and Foote is right up that alley.    

22 minutes ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

I was out of plus 1's. I don't think Tryamkin was as fast as you remember but I agree with your sentiment. Imagine if Tryamkin wasn't a doofus at the beginning of last year and accepted a short stint in the AHL and just got to know Travis Green? If BFG wasn't so thickheaded he might have given Green a chance then and been inspired to stick around now. But I am just spitballin.

I think his speed was deceptive (form a fans point of view) because he's just so big.
The whole "i'm not going to the minors" thing was overblown IMO. Honestly, i think it was more of a cultural issue. It takes a lot to get adjusted to a brand new culture, language, lifestyle etc. And getting bounced back and forth between two teams thousands of miles apart... yeah I probably wouldn't have wanted to do that either. 
Having said that, by the end of the year he was our best defenceman. Once he got into shape he really took off. There were games were he made some mistakes, but at his age you expect that.
There were others where he was utterly dominant. 
I do agree getting to know Green may have been beneficial, but hindsight's always 20/20. 
Regardless of that, he does play the style Green wants: up tempo - in your phace hockey. He's exactly the kind of player Benning has been tying to acquire for the team this year. The ironically painful this is, we already own the rights to our best option - Tryamkin.
If we would have brought him over here this year instead of a couple years ago, we'd all be singing a different tune. 

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm not assuming it's a giving that he won't be back, the only people that would know that is Guddy and mgmt.  But as the year goes on, and we get closer to approaching TD without an extension, it's going to be something we need to consider.  All i said is, If we do get to that point, i want a young replacement to be our main target and Foote is right up that alley.    

Yes if we get to that point then I agree we would need a player such as Foote.

40 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I agree with you, and a lot of other people re: Guddy.

My issue with him is it seems he's a bit of a lug head. For a guy his size, he has trouble boxing guys out. Even last night he got dinged on both goals. Reaching out with that stupid poke check move instead of, you know, using that "size and snarl" everyone says he's here for. 
I don't have a problem using your stick to break up plays, but if you miss the majority of the time you need to change how you play. 

Also last year when Markstrom was dressed up like a dinosaur in the hallway and surprising guys walking around the corner to the dressing room... everyone took it lightly. Except for Guddy. He just kind of looked at him and then said "this is what you do when you come to the rink early??" ... I thought he was kidding at first but really, i think he was straight up just being a ^^^^

If Benning does decide to keep him, I hope he learns the system here and is able to pick up the pace a bit, because at this point he's the guy back there that lacks mobility the most. He doesn't have to be fast, but does have to be positionally sound. I guess I'm on the fence right now. He's got the size and ability to clear guys out, but is he worth more than $3.5 Million a year? $5M ? Not to me. Not right now. By Christmas we'll all know I think. 

5 minutes ago, ArkDepot said:

I agree with you, and a lot of other people re: Guddy.

My issue with him is it seems he's a bit of a lug head. For a guy his size, he has trouble boxing guys out. Even last night he got dinged on both goals. Reaching out with that stupid poke check move instead of, you know, using that "size and snarl" everyone says he's here for. 
I don't have a problem using your stick to break up plays, but if you miss the majority of the time you need to change how you play. 

Also last year when Markstrom was dressed up like a dinosaur in the hallway and surprising guys walking around the corner to the dressing room... everyone took it lightly. Except for Guddy. He just kind of looked at him and then said "this is what you do when you come to the rink early??" ... I thought he was kidding at first but really, i think he was straight up just being a ^^^^

If Benning does decide to keep him, I hope he learns the system here and is able to pick up the pace a bit, because at this point he's the guy back there that lacks mobility the most. He doesn't have to be fast, but does have to be positionally sound. I guess I'm on the fence right now. He's got the size and ability to clear guys out, but is he worth more than $3.5 Million a year? $5M ? Not to me. Not right now. By Christmas we'll all know I think. 

A lot to read into based off an off comment right after being startled. Maybe he was just having a bad day. Maybe he really hates dinosaurs. Who knows.

Archived