The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Brock Boeser

kurtzfan

I might not like the decision, but i think i understand it. The NCAA has a 34(?) game schedule, and that's pretty different than playing a full 82 game season. Green says he looked slower in the last couple preseason games, and i tend to agree. He wasn't as explosive in the last couple games as he was earlier on in the preseason. Getting used to a longer season and learning to live the NHL lifestyle will take time. It's more of a developmental reason than a "who played best/he's not good enough" type of thing. I expect him to get in around 50-60 games (barring injuries), and then become a regular next year. I trust Green on this one, because he's the one with experience as an AHL developmental coach, and i'm at home on my laptop.

Let the tea steep a little, and it will be a lot stronger later.

From the article on Dorsett: 

Green has already acknowledged that in a tough division and conference and with a brutal travel schedule, Virtanen and Boeser may only play between 50-60 games. They need to get acclimated to the grind of the NHL season, something Dorsett knows all about.

He is more likely to play a 60-65 games schedule upping from 35 college games.  He is not used to play preseason games with 5 games in 2 weeks and intense practices just to make the team.   He is more likely getting in on Thursday/Saturday because the coach does not want any match-up nightmare on the road.  Green might have a preplanned games off for him months in advance unless injury forces hands to have him playing more games than Green wants to.  He is not likely to play both set of back to back games.   If his fitness improves then he might get a change of coach's plan later in the season.    You do not want fatigue causing injury especially on his first year and an important development time.  Any time missed is costly for Boeser in term of gaining NHL experience.  

Jake has an edge having played pro before, and the CHL schedule, albeit they play a lot on weekends. Not to mention Jake is a far superior skater to Brock all around. Quicker. Jake didn't seem to tire out like Brock did either, Jake was consistent throughout pre season. Keep in mind Brock also did the Young Stars tourney. He's played a lot of hockey this summer and early in September. Lets not burn him out.

Seems like Brock and Jake will be alternating in and out until injuries. Which is kind of disheartening but also makes sense. Tempers expectations. Green takes the hits from the media so they don't have to.

I don't understand all the fuss. 

The coach has to pick the team he thinks will be successful, he did that and they were. 

If Green is saying Brock didn't look sharp enough, I would have to agree based on what I saw. Lets face it, that game was played at twice the speed and twice the intensity of the pre season games.

For me, Brock has to get quicker and more dynamic, that can come as he is used sparingly or if he is sent down to Utica, time will tell what Green thinks is best for him.

As I have said before, many times, the fans don't see what the coaches see away from the games and that is often what makes all the difference.

Many on here including me lauded Boeser's intentions to go away at the end of the season and work on his strength and speed but when I saw him play with the rookies and in the young stars game I was not impressed by either considering the opposition. Of course we got the usual "king's new clothes" bollocks from some saying how he was a standout - really? what games were these people looking at? 

Lastly I am disappointed that one game in, the media and their disciples on here have managed to raise yet another "sore" for this fanbase to pick at and worry at. Will we never learn?

1 hour ago, Fidds said:

Let the kid play until he proves other wise he can't handle the grind. Butcher just put up 3 points with jersey in his first game straight from college.

How is that relevant.

Have you seen Butcher? Is he the same type of player, he is a D is he not? What will he do in his next 10 games?

These kind of comparisons are worthless.

5 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Id rather have brock over virt ...and see what happens in game 2, but i know what ya mean canuckistani :)

Did you not watch the game against Edmonton? Virt was one of our best players on the ice while playing in a bottom six role. Don't get me wrong Brock should get a shot to play but it should be in a top 6 role on the wing with the Sedins or Bo. Let Vanek or Burmy sit

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

Frankly after the final cuts I was looking at the 13 forwards and thinking there isn't one I want to sit out. Quite a change from last season.

Chaput, Megna, Larsen, and Boucher who?

Such a nice change in depth this year.

I was happy to see Virt in the line-up.

I agree with someone above. Swap Burm for Boess.

Green was correct though, Brock did fade a bit as camp went on.

39 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

Chaput, Megna, Larsen, and Boucher who?

Such a nice change in depth this year.

I was happy to see Virt in the line-up.

I agree with someone above. Swap Burm for Boess.

Green was correct though, Brock did fade a bit as camp went on.

He was also right when he said Burmistrov had a good game. Burmistrov is a player how plays physical and that is what we need and what Green likes.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Lastly I am disappointed that one game in, the media and their disciples on here have managed to raise yet another "sore" for this fanbase to pick at and worry at. Will we never learn?

The point is, he's a kid and still developing, the best thing for him right now is to be playing as much hockey as possible, the longer he sits out the harder it is for him to adjust.  If he's not regularly playing in the NHL, then send him to the AHL where he will play.  It's early and only been one game but we have 7 games in the next 13 days, he's going to need to get in over half of those games to justify keeping him in the show.   

The worry comes from what we saw last year and we don't want to make that same mistake this year.  Last year with Jake, we toyed around with him for a whole month before making the call to send him to the AHL and it ended up being a write off year for him.  If he wasn't in shape, we should have sent him to the AHL day 1.  If the kid belongs make room for him, if he doesn't send him down. 

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The point is, he's a kid and still developing, the best thing for him right now is to be playing as much hockey as possible, the longer he sits out the harder it is for him to adjust.  If he's not regularly playing in the NHL, then send him to the AHL where he will play.  It's early and only been one game but we have 7 games in the next 13 days, he's going to need to get in over half of those games to justify keeping him in the show.   

The worry comes from what we saw last year and we don't want to make that same mistake this year.  Last year with Jake, we toyed around with him for a whole month before making the call to send him to the AHL and it ended up being a write off year for him.  If he wasn't in shape, we should have sent him to the AHL day 1.  If the kid belongs make room for him, if he doesn't send him down. 

I agree on some level but I think with Boeser it might be a bit different. 

Maybe he has been doing too much in the off season, it may be that he just needs to be used sparingly to start with, in order to loosen up and keep his confidence.

I had a feeling he might be sent down to Utica though and said as much but that was based purely on his pre season displays, however it is not unusual for some players to raise their game AFTER the pre season. (see Dorsett)

Anyway, I'm not worried as I think Boeser will take any decision in his stride, he's that kind of boy. I am more concerned about the habitual inclination to find something to find fault with the coach. 

My view on Jake was he would have played on seamlessly but for the "crossed wires" (giving him the benefit of the doubt) over his fitness. The reason I say that was because as I have said before I thought he did well from the time he came back from the WJC till the end of the season. If he had maintained that weight and fitness level I doubt he would have needed to go to Utica.

By the way I see McCann is now 6'-1" and nearly 200lbs. He has started well with Florida 2 pts in 2 games and +2. I think I will miss him.

https://www.nhl.com/video/mccanns-top-shelf-goal/t-290848110/c-53272903

Archived