The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks talking to Montreal? - *warning - Eklund*

Podz92

So didn't see this here yet. But this morning Eklund has posted that the Canucks are talking to Montreal, apparently about Galchenyuk. He mentions Ben Hutton as someone the Canucks might move...but it is Eklund so take it for what it's worth...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Canucks-talking-to-Montreal-Buffalo-and-NYR-Are-they-Buyers/1/88936

too early in the morning almost forgot the link 

3 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

>Eklund

yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh nah. Makes for a fun read/hypothetical but I put literally 0 stock into this mans rumours

Me either, but it's early in the year and it's nice to see rumours about the Canucks being buyers not sellers...

MTL's holes are too big to talk about moving Galchenyuk. I mean I could see us moving an excess D, but can MTL afford to lose a scorer? Can we afford to pick another up, given we have so many forwards. 

I think the only trades that make sense for the Canucks right now are those in which we package depth for a single player. Is there a trade to be had for that?

5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

MTL's holes are too big to talk about moving Galchenyuk. I mean I could see us moving an excess D, but can MTL afford to lose a scorer? Can we afford to pick another up, given we have so many forwards. 

I think the only trades that make sense for the Canucks right now are those in which we package depth for a single player. Is there a trade to be had for that?

Well, Galchenyuk makes sense considering that we're pretty short on young, high end left wingers. After Bear Cheese we're either talking about guys playing on their off wing or prospects like Gadjovich, so inquiring does actually make a lot of sense to me, especially considering that the likelihood of Buffalo resigning Kane (making him unavailable to us) seems to be going up with each passing day.

Right.....we are looking at scoring help in Montreal....a team with the same amount of goals as us but with 1 more game played.

Anyway, I'm really not a fan of Galchenyuk, however, I listen to a Montreal radio station every day and Galchenyuk is in Julien's doghouse despite having some of the best offensive statistics since Julien was hired.   If there ever was a time to pry out Galchenyuk at a really low cost, it would be now.  Bergevin is also taking some heat and is in panic mode right now, by evidence of his claim on Niemi.  If he doesnt make the playoff he's as good as gone IMO, therefore he might sacrifice the future for immediate help.

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Right.....we are looking at scoring help in Montreal....a team with the same amount of goals as us but with 1 more game played.

Anyway, I'm really not a fan of Galchenyuk, however, I listen to a Montreal radio station every day and Galchenyuk is in Julien's doghouse despite having some of the best offensive statistics since Julien was hired.   If there ever was a time to pry out Galchenyuk at a really low cost, it would be now.  Bergevin is also taking some heat and is in panic mode right now, by evidence of his claim on Niemi.  If he doesnt make the playoff he's as good as gone IMO, therefore he might sacrifice the future for immediate help.

Was just going to say the same.  Bergevin has been in butt saving mode since basically November of last year after deal after deal didn't pan out.

Galchenyuk could possibly be his last ditch effort and if it cost us Hutton and a + I'd seriously consider it.  But then this is something we've discussed in 37 threads so far so I am sure that Eklund is just ripping us off for ideas

Not a huge Galchenyuk fan myself but he does have some skill. That said, I dont think Hutton alone comes close and we would have to probably add a prospect or pick which would be the wrong move imo.. Just too many teams interested in snagging him from Montreal that could beat our offers without hurting their team depth as we would probably have to. 

Archived