The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

45 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Doesn't matter to me what Nashville did really.  It is upsetting because our team does not show the same response when our guys are targeted the same way.  I am upset with our players and the culture of this team that allows themselves to be pushed around and just turns the other cheek.  Like it or not, physical play does make a difference in how players perform.  It makes guys shy away from puck battles, makes them rush their passes or cough up the puck and it tires guys out and hurts.  No one likes to get hit. 

If you can't bring the physical side of the game, other teams feel free to up their own physical game.  Teams right now must be licking their lips at the opportunity to run roughshod over the Nucks.

Shoulda kept Prust around to teach the guys how to hug it out like  they do in @combovers leadership seminars.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Detroit had how many first round picks and ????? they were a power house for over 2 decades!

It all starts at the top. Right now the two management groups mirror each other, I mean the bad Edmonton group that you refer to.

BTW Edmonton is 4 pts behind with a game in hand and starting to play well again.

Yes, great first round picks like:

1990: Keith Primeau

1991: Martin LaPointe

1992: Curtis Bowen

1993: Anders Eriksson

1994: Yan Golubovsky

1995: Maxim Kuznetsov

1996: Jesse Wallin

1997: No 1st Pick

1998: Jiri Fischer

1999: No 1st Pick

2000: Nicklas Kronwall

2001: No 1st Pick

2002: No 1st Pick

2003: No 1st Pick

2004: No 1st Pick

2005: Jakub Kindl

Of those 15 years, they drafted several NHL quality players, but Primeau and Kronwall are the only two that stand out as solid long-time NHL veterans. Detroit built their roster through deep drafting, not prime 1st round picks. 

Take a look at their 2007-08 roster, one of the best teams in recent history. Their top players included:

Pavel Datsyuk (151st Overall)

Henrik Zetterberg (210th Overall)

Nicklas Lidstrom (53rd Overall)

Jiri Hudler (58th Overall)

Tomas Holmstrom (257th Overall)

Johan Franzen (97th Overall)

Chris Osgood (54th Overall)

Valteri Filpula (95th Overall)

All the above players were drafted by Detroit.

As for your trade claim, the only core player who was acquired with a 1st Round pick was Dominik Hasek (traded for a 30th overall pick), and he played a minor role in the 2008 Playoffs.

Two other core players in Brian Rafalski and Daniel Cleary were signings, not trades.

So all in all, the core of the great 2007-08 Red Wings team was made up of two 1st round picks, one for Nicklas Kronwall (29th Overall) and one in a trade for Hasek (30th OA pick)

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yes, great first round picks like:

1990: Keith Primeau

1991: Martin LaPointe

1992: Curtis Bowen

1993: Anders Eriksson

1994: Yan Golubovsky

1995: Maxim Kuznetsov

1996: Jesse Wallin

1997: No 1st Pick

1998: Jiri Fischer

1999: No 1st Pick

2000: Nicklas Kronwall

2001: No 1st Pick

2002: No 1st Pick

2003: No 1st Pick

2004: No 1st Pick

2005: Jakub Kindl

Of those 15 years, they drafted several NHL quality players, but Primeau and Kronwall are the only two that stand out as solid long-time NHL veterans. Detroit built their roster through deep drafting, not prime 1st round picks. 

Take a look at their 2007-08 roster, one of the best teams in recent history. Their top players included:

Pavel Datsyuk (151st Overall)

Henrik Zetterberg (210th Overall)

Nicklas Lidstrom (53rd Overall)

Jiri Hudler (58th Overall)

Tomas Holmstrom (257th Overall)

Johan Franzen (97th Overall)

Chris Osgood (54th Overall)

Valteri Filpula (95th Overall)

All the above players were drafted by Detroit.

As for your trade claim, the only core player who was acquired with a 1st Round pick was Dominik Hasek (traded for a 30th overall pick), and he played a minor role in the 2008 Playoffs.

Two other core players in Brian Rafalski and Daniel Cleary were signings, not trades.

So all in all, the core of the great 2007-08 Red Wings team was made up of two 1st round picks, one for Nicklas Kronwall (29th Overall) and one in a trade for Hasek (30th OA pick)

I was thinking more about after the invention of the internet and after their mining of gems in Europe in late rounds. After that they traded away their 27, 28, 29 & 30th round picks for established NHLers that fit their needs. It cost them in prospects but gained them in cup finals.

I don't mind Canucks loss, but care of the team has no heart, soul, energy, speed, physical, emotion.

We have too many soft players in the line-up.

I missed Guddy, Dorset, Tree, even Kassian.

I suggest to play Biege in next game, bring up some physical kids like Labate, MacEwen and mixed with Jade.

Any kids you think are good to turn the soft team around at this moment.

7 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

I don't mind Canucks loss, but care of the team has no heart, soul, energy, speed, physical, emotion.

We have too many soft players in the line-up.

I missed Guddy, Dorset, Tree, even Kassian.

I suggest to play Biege in next game, bring up some physical kids like Labate, MacEwen and mixed with Jade.

Any kids you think are good to turn the soft team around at this moment.

The biggest problem with the team right now is that they have no confidence. Zero.

The young guys look to the veterans and see players on the downslope of their careers, and also see players who aren't going to push back or stand up for them. So it's a real no man's land for the youth right now, as it's time for the team to forge a new identity, but with the vets still on the roster, that change in identity is slowed considerably.

15 hours ago, b3. said:

Atleast Burm moved, the other canuck did there best Sedin & Marchand impression.

No composure from a moderator?

You should not be bagging on your team. And you bag on someone, pouting every time we lose. The other guy was Stecher who shows all kinds of jam. 

I recommend you quit!

15 hours ago, ftmN said:

here's jake's hit for anyone who missed it.

https://streamable.com/hrh3i

gif:

I've watched this hit numerous times.  Can't figure out why it was penalty.  Can someone help me out here?  Its not late.  I understand his stick was high, but did that actually do the damage? Hard to see if it even contacts him.

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

But this is hockey and standing up for yourself and teammates does have purpose.  If liberties are allowed, they will be taken...and they were.

I would never let myself get punked like that, you would bet id throw a hard slash at an ankle right there

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I agree that it's ridiculous that players have to answer the bell for delivering a big clean hit.  But that's not what happened last night. If Virtanen had kept his stick down it would have been fine.  But he didn't.  High stick to the face deserves a response from the opposing team. 

Think you answered my question.  Did the stick actually make contact with his face?  All the replays I watched made it too hard to tell.  Wasn't sure if he just hit his face against the glass.

18 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

I've watched this hit numerous times.  Can't figure out why it was penalty.  Can someone help me out here?  Its not late.  I understand his stick was high, but did that actually do the damage? Hard to see if it even contacts him.

PK needs to get beaten down. What a sucker-punching turd.

36 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The biggest problem with the team right now is that they have no confidence. Zero.

The young guys look to the veterans and see players on the downslope of their careers, and also see players who aren't going to push back or stand up for them. So it's a real no man's land for the youth right now, as it's time for the team to forge a new identity, but with the vets still on the roster, that change in identity is slowed considerably.

Having guddy back will help and then bring up labate and McEwan to beef up the lineup.  Guys like granny, burmy and gagner are not producing any offense and are like farts in a windstorm when it comes to physical play.  Add to that the twins who spend as much time sitting on the ice these days as skating on it and we need some serious grit.

26 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

No composure from a moderator?

You should not be bagging on your team. And you bag on someone, pouting every time we lose. The other guy was Stecher who shows all kinds of jam. 

I recommend you quit!

B3 has been trolling for years.

Edited the number 4 as I'm sure its been longer.

Biggest thing for me is he shuts down many threads that are actually interesting. Because the narrative isn't in line with his own.

Archived