The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposals) Multiple Moves for the Future

Noble 6

These are some ideas I have to bolster our drafts for 2018 and 2019. With Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Tanev, Gudbranson, Sutter, etc. all injured, this season looks like it's going to go downhill fast. Might as well work towards the future. Realistically, maybe 1-2 of these types of trades will happen. I'll keep my explanations short so that this doesn't become too long. These trades can happen anytime before the deadline or at the deadline depending on injuries. 

Trade 1:

To TOR:

Gudbranson

5th Round Pick 2019

To VAN:

2nd Round Pick 2018

3rd Round Pick 2019

Polak

For TOR:

- Upgrade their defense on the right side with a younger, more effective version of Polak for the Playoffs without sacrificing anything else from their roster. 

- They could make an offer to him in terms of re-signing him if they choose to.

- Add another defenseman who can effectively kill penalties, which is a big need for them.

For VAN:

- Acquire another pick in the top-62 in a deep draft this year where we can potentially pick up a defenseman.

- Allows for more flexibility on Draft day (if Benning wants to move up or down, etc.).

- Bring in some pick depth for next year's draft, which also appears to be strong. 

- Polak, who is a UFA at the end of the year, simply replaces Gudbranson on the depth chart so we aren't scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel.

Trade 2:

To NJD:

Edler (1.5 million retained)

Baertschi

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2018

4th Round Pick 2018

3rd Round Pick 2019 (ANA)

Moore

For NJD:

- Upgrade their defense on the left side to help keep them in the Metro race for this year and let their young guys experience the Playoffs.

- Edler can mentor guys like Butcher and Severson.

- Baertschi improves their winger depth in the top-9.

- Zacha could benefit from another skilled winger to play with while he's at center. 

For VAN:

- Bolster our high-end picks for this year, where we could potentially walk away with some very good players (potentially defensemen).

- Add to our pick depth for this year and next year. 

- Clear a decent chunk of cap space. 

- Moore is a roster replacement for Edler, similar to Polak/Gudbranson, and is a UFA at the end of the year. 

Trade 3:

To CGY:

Vanek

4th Round Pick 2019

To VAN:

Klimchuk

Lazar

For CGY:

- Add an offensive, right-handed RW to balance out their forward core. 

- Fills the void created by Versteeg's injury.

- Recoup a late pick, which helps given how many picks they've traded away. 

For VAN:

- Klimchuk is a decent young winger that can play in our bottom-6 in the future (18 points in 25 games in the AHL). 

- Lazar is a reclamation project (and a long shot), but we take him back to open a roster spot for Vanek in Calgary. 

- Klimchuk and potentially Lazar could help Utica if we want to send him down (Klimchuk is currently in the AHL).

Trade 4:

To TBL:

Granlund

To VAN:

Callahan (1 million retained)

Hajek

1st Round Pick 2018

5th Round Pick 2019

For TBL:

- Shed Callahan's cap hit to make a run this year and next year while Kucherov is on his bridge deal.

- Replace him with a versatile, cost-controlled forward.

- Long term, this would come up huge when re-signing guys like Namestnikov, Point, etc. 

For VAN:

- Receive a solid injection of youthful pieces for our future. 

- Hajek is a young defenseman who impressed at training camp and is in the WHL.

- Add another 1st this year in a deep and talented 1st round. 

- Increase overall flexibility at the next two drafts. 

Summary:

Players Out: Edler, Gudbranson, Beartschi, Granlund, Vanek

Players In: Polak, Moore, Klimchuk, Lazar, Callahan, Hajek

Draft Picks Out: 5th 2018, 4th 2019

Draft Picks In: 1st 2018 (TBL), 1st 2018 (NJD), 2nd 2018 (TOR), 4th 2018 (NJD), 3rd 2019 (TOR), 3rd 2019 (ANA), 5th 2019 (TBL)

Post Trade Deadline Lineup:

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Eriksson

Gagner - Sutter - Virtanen

Gaunce - Lazar - Callahan

--------------------------------------------------------------

Burmistrov, Dowd, Chaput, Boucher, Klimchuk

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Stetcher

Pouliot - Biega

Moore, Polak

------------------------

Wiercioch, Holm

Markstrom

Nillsson

--------------

Bachman

Demko

Cap Space: 4,873,269

What do you guys think about some of or all of these deals?

could we keep it simple and maybe do Burmistrov for Lazar?

Would like to see us get him, local kid. Probably a bottom 6 guy but could work out. Not sure if Burmi is enough to get it done. Even Vanek for him at the deadline isnt the worst offer. I know we would likely prefer draft picks though if we sell any rentals off

Just now, zzbottom said:

I don't think anyone in the league views Edler as a top 2 D. 

no but paired with the right guy and used accordingly he is a top 4 D. Would really like to see us move him and get something half a** decent in return for him. Hopefully GMJB can get him to waive his ntc at latest at the draft.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

These are some ideas I have to bolster our drafts for 2018 and 2019. With Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Tanev, Gudbranson, Sutter, etc. all injured, this season looks like it's going to go downhill fast. Might as well work towards the future. Realistically, maybe 1-2 of these types of trades will happen. I'll keep my explanations short so that this doesn't become too long. These trades can happen anytime before the deadline or at the deadline depending on injuries. 

I like your ideas.....I am in a little bit more of a pessimistic mood tonight so, I would change things up a little....first off, I would title this post "Enough is enough", and would make some other changes....personally, I think yours are more popular, but I would go like this........................

Trade 1:

To TOR:

Gudbranson                                                       Tanev

5th Round Pick 2019

To VAN:

2nd Round Pick 2018                                  #1.  Liljegren                         or                   #2. Liljegren

3rd Round Pick 2019                                          2018 - 1st                                                   2018 2nd SJ

Polak                                                                   Polak                                                          2018 2nd Toronto

Polak

#1. If Toronto makes the final 4

#2. Trade if anything else happens.

Trade 2:

To NJD:

Edler (1.5 million retained)                                   Edler 

Baertschi

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2018                                       #1.  2018 1st                      or                    #2. 2018 2nd

4th Round Pick 2018                                                                                                              2019 2nd

Moore

#1. If NJ makes the final 8

#2. Anything else

Trade 3:   Just No more Trading with Calgary, Plz ...................It's OK to trade Vanek. let's see if we can get a late 2nd

Trade 4:    No just keep Granlund.......

Now, I know that I am going to be shat on for agreeing to trade Tanev and Edler, but they are always injured and can not be counted on, and Edler is faultering, and needs to be moved now/soon

31 minutes ago, Yotes said:

could we keep it simple and maybe do Burmistrov for Lazar?

Would like to see us get him, local kid. Probably a bottom 6 guy but could work out. Not sure if Burmi is enough to get it done. Even Vanek for him at the deadline isnt the worst offer. I know we would likely prefer draft picks though if we sell any rentals off

Lazar was someone i would've targeted last year as a buy low option, but probably not anymore. I only have him in the deal as the roster equivalent of a cap dump from Calgary. I don't really see him improving enough to be an effective bottom-6 center. 

11 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Lazar was someone i would've targeted last year as a buy low option, but probably not anymore. I only have him in the deal as the roster equivalent of a cap dump from Calgary. I don't really see him improving enough to be an effective bottom-6 center. 

He may not be, but he could be a younger similar to hopefully better option than Burmi. I think he has really lost his confidence. He had a good finish last year with the flames, short sample size I know.

6 hours ago, zzbottom said:

I don't think anyone in the league views Edler as a top 2 D. 

There are players playing 1st line/top pair on other teams that no one would consider top line material. It really comes down to synergy. Tanev I wouldn't consider a top 2 D-man but with Reilly that'd be pretty wicked top pairing. Burrows wasn't a top line guy but with the Sedins he was very effective and fit there perfectly well.

Gudbranson is only moving if they can't work out a deal.  Benning wants to keep him.  Talks can't begin until Jan 1.

Edler won't waive his no trade.  This is well known.  I wonder if he would waive at the trade deadline next year (the final year of his contract).  I know a lot of people aren't in love with Edler but the reality is that he is a cornerstone of our corps.  Players aren't given the most minutes for no reason and Edler averages the most by more than a minute.

Vanek is a possible move.

Baertschi, Granlund and Gudbranson are players that are ear marked for the new Canucks.  In 3 or 4 years, they will be the veterans on a young team.  They won't be willingly traded.

One thing is certain. We need to be sellers and not buyers. Tanev and Edler are the standouts on D the several recent games I`ve watched. Tanev is the guy to move since Edler has a NTC. He could be huge help to a contender and possibly bring in a key piece in exchange. Who knows, Edler might bite if a good club comes calling now that the future of the twins is up in the air. Pouliot has been next best IMO, followed by MDZ/Hutton, Biega/Stecher. I hope he continues to gain confidence. Move any of those bottom 4 if you can. I have not been able to see enough of Guddy to assess his value. Vanek is getting chances but needs to bury more of them. His defensive numbers are concerning, but he`s playing for a contract so has reason to hustle. They should try to build up his stats to get a decent return if (hopefully) traded. Could be another Vrbata though. Does he have any playoff success? Gagner has not impressed. Value low. Great to suggest trading partners and deals but ultimately it comes down to specific needs via injury and depth at position which trigger deals. Teams who are in the win-now phase may be forced to pay the premium while others stick to their guns and hope to get hot. I hope a couple of extra picks or prospects can be acquired as the club is approaching the depth of youth to get them soon back into contention for the long haul. A little lottery luck would also be welcomed.

Gudbranson for a couple mid round picks?

Why should we do it and how does it help us?

Am I the only one who thinks Gudbranson is a very important piece

of our team? Without him we are the softest team ever..

Also we gave up McCann plus a pick I think so there is no way

I'm shopping Guddy for anything less than a first+ B prospect..

I really dont get all the Guddy trade talk and proposals, I know

he's UFA but Benning needs to lock him up and he will!

15 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Trade 1:

To TOR:

Gudbranson

5th Round Pick 2019

To VAN:

2nd Round Pick 2018

3rd Round Pick 2019

Polak

For TOR:

- Upgrade their defense on the right side with a younger, more effective version of Polak for the Playoffs without sacrificing anything else from their roster. 

- They could make an offer to him in terms of re-signing him if they choose to.

- Add another defenseman who can effectively kill penalties, which is a big need for them.

For VAN:

- Acquire another pick in the top-62 in a deep draft this year where we can potentially pick up a defenseman.

- Allows for more flexibility on Draft day (if Benning wants to move up or down, etc.).

- Bring in some pick depth for next year's draft, which also appears to be strong. 

- Polak, who is a UFA at the end of the year, simply replaces Gudbranson on the depth chart so we aren't scraping the absolute bottom of the barrel.

Trade 2:

To NJD:

Edler (1.5 million retained)

Baertschi

To VAN:

1st Round Pick 2018

4th Round Pick 2018

Moore

For NJD:

- Upgrade their defense on the left side to help keep them in the Metro race for this year and let their young guys experience the Playoffs.

- Edler can mentor guys like Butcher and Severson.

- Baertschi improves their winger depth in the top-9.

- Zacha could benefit from another skilled winger to play with while he's at center. 

For VAN:

- Bolster our high-end picks for this year, where we could potentially walk away with some very good players (potentially defensemen).

- Add to our pick depth for this year and next year. 

- Clear a decent chunk of cap space. 

- Moore is a roster replacement for Edler, similar to Polak/Gudbranson, and is a UFA at the end of the year. 

Trade 3:

To CGY:

Vanek

4th Round Pick 2019

To VAN:

Klimchuk

Lazar

For CGY:

- Add an offensive, right-handed RW to balance out their forward core. 

- Fills the void created by Versteeg's injury.

- Recoup a late pick, which helps given how many picks they've traded away. 

For VAN:

- Klimchuk is a decent young winger that can play in our bottom-6 in the future (18 points in 25 games in the AHL). 

- Lazar is a reclamation project (and a long shot), but we take him back to open a roster spot for Vanek in Calgary. 

- Klimchuk and potentially Lazar could help Utica if we want to send him down (Klimchuk is currently in the AHL).

Trade 4:

To TBL:

Granlund

To VAN:

Callahan (1 million retained)

Hajek

1st Round Pick 2018

5th Round Pick 2019

For TBL:

- Shed Callahan's cap hit to make a run this year and next year while Kucherov is on his bridge deal.

- Replace him with a versatile, cost-controlled forward.

- Long term, this would come up huge when re-signing guys like Namestnikov, Point, etc. 

For VAN:

- Receive a solid injection of youthful pieces for our future. 

- Hajek is a young defenseman who impressed at training camp and is in the WHL.

- Add another 1st this year in a deep and talented 1st round. 

- Increase overall flexibility at the next two drafts. 

Summary:

Players Out: Edler, Gudbranson, Beartschi, Granlund, Vanek

Players In: Polak, Moore, Klimchuk, Lazar, Callahan, Hajek

Draft Picks Out: 5th 2018, 4th 2019

Draft Picks In: 1st 2018 (TBL), 1st 2018 (NJD), 2nd 2018 (TOR), 4th 2018 (NJD), 3rd 2019 (TOR), 3rd 2019 (ANA), 5th 2019 (TBL)

Post Trade Deadline Lineup:

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Eriksson

Gagner - Sutter - Virtanen

Gaunce - Lazar - Callahan

--------------------------------------------------------------

Burmistrov, Dowd, Chaput, Boucher, Klimchuk

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Stetcher

Pouliot - Biega

Moore, Polak

------------------------

Wiercioch, Holm

Markstrom

Nillsson

--------------

Bachman

Demko

Cap Space: 4,873,269

No way someone pays that much for Granlund

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Did the Pouliot trade feeling lopsided? The Goldy trade? Dahlen Trade? Trades are rarely fair

In retrospect, they rarely are, but at the time, they often look fairly even.

I think Guddy plus a 5th maybe gets a 2nd round pick alone, but a 3rd and Polak on top of that is a bit much.

Granlund for a 1st alone is ridiculous. Taking Callahan isn't enough to balance the deal when you add in more.

Archived