The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Bennings Sportsnet 650 Interview Jan 26th, 2018 (Trade deadline, twins, and extension talk)

Rush17

Usually he doesn’t give any indication on future plans. However from the sounds of it Benning wants to find out the twins’ plans for next year before he trades Vanek. If the twins are good to go then Vanek gets moved at the deadline and if they plan to retire then Benning keeps Vanek and signs him to an extension.

Nice to have interviewers ask fair questions, and have a good discussion with Benning, instead of the tripe that TSN 1040 was asking. 

I think folks forget the anxiety that is going forward with the renewal process is affecting his family, more than Benning himself. 

35 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

http://pmd.sportsnet650.ca/audio_on_demand/Jim-Benning-Andrew-Walker-Dan-Riccio-20180126-Interview.mp3

more info discussed.  injuries. history etc.  if someone can write notes if possible be helpful. currently on mobile.

nice one, I like listening to 650 while i'm reading ,posting . no note's required.

36 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

OMG poor guy.    A word of advice to Jim Benning.  Do not play poker lol

Is he going for the sympathy vote?   Revealing your cards is not an attribute. Someone tell this guy where your supposed to hold your cards

I'm sorry but strong character is needed here, ie GILLIS, BURKE, QUINN.

I clearly see Linden and Aquilini rolling their eyes.

That tell's me he isn't getting resigned.

Who knows if Benning even wants to re-up in a GMs position. He might enjoy scouting more. Comes with less scrutiny, less stress, less publicity and better job security. We know he’s good at it and says he enjoys that process. Maybe Linden and Aqualini are using the extension as motivation for him to put everything he’s got into this trade deadline. Well I’m hoping in whichever way Benning wants to be back I’m hoping he remains with the club he’s earned it in my eyes.

It sounds like he already knows he is done, Linden will not like to bother his family too much longer.

Chatted about how he and his scouting dad would sit around and NOT talk about the job they both had, hmmmm? Really, his dad has been the true scouting guru even when Benning was a scout for Buffalo, Jim's scout prowess declined a bit when he went to Boston though, his dad's rival team.

Talks about planning for the summer.

What if the Sedins' agent hold his feet to the fire now before the TDL?

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Who knows if Benning even wants to re-up in a GMs position. He might enjoy scouting more. Comes with less scrutiny, less stress, less publicity and better job security. We know he’s good at it and says he enjoys that process. Maybe Linden and Aqualini are using the extension as motivation for him to put everything he’s got into this trade deadline. Well I’m hoping in whichever way Benning wants to be back I’m hoping he remains with the club he’s earned it in my eyes.

Or even Assistant GM.

So many changes coming to our club for next year.

JB  - gone

Hank and Danny -  gone

Will Tryamkin make a return ? 

Club will look very different next year.   Fans want change.... well we are certainly going to get a lot next year...

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

JB  - gone

Hank and Danny -  gone

Club will look very different next year.   Fans want change.... well we are certainly going to get a lot next year...

Club will look very different with Gaudette, Pettersson and Juolevi on it ;)! I do think that JB and the twins are back next year though.

Not sure what he has done since signing some UFAs for house money and making the trades for fringe NHLers to deserve an extension, let alone praise for the season, but whatever. 

The Sedins, I can sense he will resign them just to placate the nostalgic, empathetic fanbase. The thought of which is most unappealing to me. 

18 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

JB  - gone

Hank and Danny -  gone

We say that every single year 

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

OMG poor guy.    A word of advice to Jim Benning.  Do not play poker lol

Is he going for the sympathy vote?   Revealing your cards is not an attribute. Someone tell this guy where your supposed to hold your cards

I'm sorry but strong character is needed here, ie GILLIS, BURKE, QUINN.

I clearly see Linden and Aquilini rolling their eyes.

That tell's me he isn't getting resigned.

You can add at least another shmill to each of the Sedin's contracts after that interview

how exactly did he reveal all his cards ? I mean he was asked about his situation, candid he explained he understands the media and fans are all talking about it, he just continues working his busy schedule. Explained it's harder on his family then for him, which what any person in between renewals would say. Any player would say right ?

Will wait to hear what the Sedins are doing, they are on the verge of retiring or signing another year or so. They can take all the time they want and at this stage in their careers and where the Canucks are there is no " leverage " or drawn out negotiations to add a million or drop a million for the twins. The twins don't play that way.

Vanek, he essentially is exploring his options and will make a decision, is actively talking to the GMs around the League one month before the trade deadline.

It really would be a shame to the Canucks current stage in their development to suddenly change direction at the GM level, if someone was brought in and was on the same page then by all means add another executive or flip flop the GM/Assistant GM role if need be. But unless we are going to dwell on 1st rounders not panning out vs the one's that do, hey we should of grabbed Jagr remember ? lol...then what exactly has Benning done that does NOT deserve a re-signing ?

Point to Eriksson ? majority loved that signing and were excited it was going to happen say for a year or two of term but the fans saw a potential 50 point guy to play in the top six, Virtanen ? who was mad they took a potential power forward from Vancouver who was lighting it up everywhere he played up to that point. Not trading Hamhuis at the deadline ? why trade a player for a garbage return ? Tryamkin ? rookie who needed to develop off the ice and went the easier route to go back home when he couldn't establish himself.

Hopefully if Jim Benning wants to return as GM then it does happen. You don't want to lose this asset.

3 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

how exactly did he reveal all his cards ? I mean he was asked about his situation, candid he explained he understands the media and fans are all talking about it, he just continues working his busy schedule. Explained it's harder on his family then for him, which what any person in between renewals would say. Any player would say right ?

Will wait to hear what the Sedins are doing, they are on the verge of retiring or signing another year or so. They can take all the time they want and at this stage in their careers and where the Canucks are there is no " leverage " or drawn out negotiations to add a million or drop a million for the twins. The twins don't play that way.

Vanek, he essentially is exploring his options and will make a decision, is actively talking to the GMs around the League one month before the trade deadline.

It really would be a shame to the Canucks current stage in their development to suddenly change direction at the GM level, if someone was brought in and was on the same page then by all means add another executive or flip flop the GM/Assistant GM role if need be. But unless we are going to dwell on 1st rounders not panning out vs the one's that do, hey we should of grabbed Jagr remember ? lol...then what exactly has Benning done that does NOT deserve a re-signing ?

Point to Eriksson ? majority loved that signing and were excited it was going to happen say for a year or two of term but the fans saw a potential 50 point guy to play in the top six, Virtanen ? who was mad they took a potential power forward from Vancouver who was lighting it up everywhere he played up to that point. Not trading Hamhuis at the deadline ? why trade a player for a garbage return ? Tryamkin ? rookie who needed to develop off the ice and went the easier route to go back home when he couldn't establish himself.

Hopefully if Jim Benning wants to return as GM then it does happen. You don't want to lose this asset.

You forgot to add the laugh emojis. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Is this Jim Benning himself posting here now.. ?  or are you joking.... ????

Wrong on so many levels.....

I think JB should get an extension here.  He’s built the best looking group of prospects in team history.  I don’t have any issue with allowing him to continue building this group.

Sedins will be back.  

Vanek and Gudbranson will be sent packing.  May see a lateral move or two to address team grit, especially if they move Guddy.  

Wonder if if there’s a surprise trade alla Tanev or Sutter that comes around.  

Team will go fishing for an established offensive D, but fail in acquisition.

Archived