The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Bennings Sportsnet 650 Interview Jan 26th, 2018 (Trade deadline, twins, and extension talk)

Rush17

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

Change is hard for many.  I'm gonna say they pull the plug on this sooner rather than later, using Benning's words.

Agreed.

JB has hit a few homeruns in the draft but  he has missed out on just as many of his first round picks.  JB's trades and UFA signings have pretty weak.

It is always risky to go with a inexperienced GM.  The Canucks made the poor decision to go with a rookie President of hockey , Coach and GM all at the same time.

Pretty naive strategy. 

Time for the team to bring in a more experienced leadership team starting with a  veteran GM 

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Problem with this and next years UFA crop is the impending lockout. 

Yes. No. Maybe. 

Good point though, worthy of a thread on projecting roster support for an emerging core.

However, this is not a team looking for anything more than a few DD’s and Vaneks.

They won’t cost much, being a common player available via UFA and that will be reflected in what kind of contracts they might command. 

Different story for impact players and players of a certain age group looking for long-term. So, I think you’re fear mongering a bit, but I will give you this one just because I didn’t put any thought into that Batman-lockout routine. Cheers. 

7 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Change is hard for many.  I'm gonna say they pull the plug on this sooner rather than later, using Benning's words.

Was'nt it shortly after that Gillis interview when they pulled the plug on him?

Hear that?

That's the future of the team swirling down the drain after "pulling the plug"

5 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Was'nt it shortly after that Gillis interview when they pulled the plug on him?

as long as Jim doesn't write an apology letter to the fan base he should be fine...

lucky for the Aquilini's Jims being very professional and will do the best job he can, but this kind of limbo thing is just needless pressure on an otherwise very tough job. Ownership is making it needlessly harder to do imo. 

I'm all for change if results are poor but thats not the case here. Perfection, no, but certainly not without a lot of positive moves. I don't see how bringing in Ken Holland e.g., is going to raise the bar any higher (he's made a number of worse moves imo than Jim). 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agreed.

JB has hit a few homeruns in the draft but  he has missed out on just as many of his first round picks.  JB's trades and UFA signings have pretty weak.

It is always risky to go with a inexperienced GM.  The Canucks made the poor decision to go with a rookie President of hockey , Coach and GM all at the same time.

Pretty naive strategy. 

Time for the team to bring in a more experienced leadership team starting with a  veteran GM 

Really?  Missed?

2014:  Virtanen, McCaan.  Virtanen arguably was rumoured to be demanded via a higher power in the organization as Gillis wanted Larkin.  McCaan has done not a whole lot and was traded for arguably one of the most sought after stay at home defensemen to a team that was literally bleeding goals from the goal line.  Both are currently NHL players

2015:  Boeser.  Playoffs and 7th best team in the league, nailed this one

2016:  Juolevi.  Arguably the top defenseman in the draft.  7 other GMs passed over Sergachev, 13 passed over McAvoy.  We needed defensemen for the future.  You know, after failing so miserably on every other move he made.  #1 defensemen don't just fall in to your lap, they're drafted and developed.  Currently having a record breaking U20 year in Finland.

2017:  Petterson.  Potentially breaking Forsbergs modern day record.   

So...aside from Virtanen who is still an NHL player and McCaan who...is still an NHL player.  who did he miss on again?

As the OWNERS went with a rookie pres and GM.  You think they're smart in firing one or both to hire someone new 2 years in to a rebuild....

k

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Jim Benning 

Here are just a sample of bad trades / signings / drafts

Linden Vey - trade 

Dorset trade and contract 

Forsling trade

Gudbranson trade 

Kassian give away

Sutter trade and contract

Philip Larsen trade 

Vrbata  signing 

Loui E   signing 

Gagner signing

Del Zotto signing

Bartkowski signing

Tryamkin  -  mishandled and lost for nothing 

Hamhuis - non trade  / loss to UFA 

Virtanen Draft

McCaan Draft

Willie Desjardin  -  hiring 

Henning and Gillman asst gm  -  firings  

Joulevi Draft

hefty list of players, coaches, and management.

Vey - was a risk worth taking, since it didn't work out that sucks and will be used against JB, but you should also make mention the same type of deal was done and very successful in Baertschi so you win some you lose some. Welcome to GM'ing.

Dorsett - cost the Canucks a 3rd rounder and was a solid contributor, maybe some didn't like the contract he earned but he played his role, provided what the team needed and his contract never hurt the team.

Forsling - trade was an attempt to utilize a prospect to add one of similar potential but further along in development to speed up the " re-tool " at the time. Didn't work out. Ouch, I hear he is one of the better Chicago defense now. That one sucks but again hindsight right ?

Gudbranson - everything we heard was he was the reason Florida was in the position they were ( Playoffs ) because of guys like him, provided physical " push back " which is always screamed about on here. Costing McCann + seemed steep, the guy get's the Dana Murzyn treatment here and I was not a fan of the trade but understand the purpose. I haven't seen the physical element in his game how it was advertised so although the Canucks added size and strength on the back end it did cost a smaller offensive forward prospect.

Kassian - not in any way a give away, he burned his bridges here and the whole situation was unfortunate, was not going to rehabilitate in Vancouver. This move was an addition by subtraction and he had to leave, getting a tough bottom six was worth while.

Sutter - last I checked he hit 20 goals in Pittsburgh as a 3rd line center. Still young and effective cap on his contract seemed higher than most would like but if ever could stay healthy be a nice add. 

Larsen - team took a chance on a defenseman who had potential to be an offensive piece for the Canucks. Theme here is utilizing picks to try and add further developed players or unfulfilled youth expectation. No problem sacrificing the pick he did. should anyone have problem with that ?

Vrabata - needed a right handed winger, someone who can score, last I checked he did and the $ 5m per never hurt the team. Player seemed under-utilized by coaching afterwards but not GMs role there.

Eriksson - so much hope after everyone saw this signing unfold, term too long, cap maybe 1m over was the consensus but then again he was UFA could have gone anywhere and we'd all be justified in expecting 20+ goals 50+ points with the Canucks. Attempt made to address top six scoring on this one.

Gagner - not sure what the issue is with this signing, NHL veteran who can play up and down the lineup at the center position and provide offense, was the term the issue ?

Del Zotto - again not sure why this is an issue, other than  not wanting to see Benning make a move if only to have to belittle it ? providing reliable play, veteran who can help the young guys and has potential to produce, fine with this signing. Much needed throughout the year for depth alone.

Bartkowksi - yes the Canucks signed Bartkowski to a one year deal, he provided depth on the blueline a good pass out of the zone at times if not carrying the puck and again solid depth. Best season in the NHL for Matt was in Vancouver.

Tryamkin - was unable to adapt off the ice to Vancouver, to being professional and as a young guy it smells of wanting it all too fast. Was developing nicely on the ice but the player wasn't a fit at that time. His decision to leave, was given opportunity. Also don't think his story in Vancouver is over......

Hamhuis - was unable to fetch value for him as an expiring contract which can be asset mismanagement but do we know the Canucks weren't looking at re-signing the player ? and we as fans can speculate all we want but we don't know how the trade waive request went down, we don't. We can speculate. As a fan you'd hope a GM can grab assets on an expiring contract, would it not be poor management otherwise but we dont know.

Virtanen - some were vocal on draft day, questioning the pick ( as is done ever year on every team ). Most fans thought local kid, big, strong, producing big points, should be solid. Again hindsight.

McCann - seemed like someone who could develop as an offensive player, only now getting a bigger chance in the NHL but the jury is still out.

Desjardins - if you remember he was the most sought after coach in some time and his resume led anyone to believe he'd allow a longer leash and develop youth at the NHL level more so. This city was very thrilled to have landed Desjardins, especially knowing other clubs coveted him so highly.

Henning, Gillman both under-rated in my opinion, but when changing managers you tend to re-evaluate your team top to bottom and make your moves, add your people, players, coaches as you determine.

Joulevi - 19 year old projecting as top four allround solid defenseman who has yet to play an NHL game, so the issue is ? no NHL games played while others in that draft have or ? seems like he is on path to get to Vancouver, not sure why this is an issue  ?

Has Benning made mistakes ? Yes.

I think that the good has out weighed the bad and between him and Linden they have got our drafting moving in the right direction. 

My worry about a change at this point could mean an impatient ownership who is looking to  accelerate the rebuild. 

If they use the acquired depth and more draft picks to obtain a quick short term fix. I think I would pack up my Canuck bags and move on to Vegus. If they Don't allow the rebuild to be completed properly then I will have had enough. I Don't care who leads the way just finish what has been started. The true core fans have invested years in this team and several into this rebuild. To see it just pissed away would be too much for me.

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Meh, I assumed you knew what “future” I was referring to when discussing the “rebuild”. 

Making no trades and watching UFAs walk is something Canucks fans a very accustomed to witnessing. 

Undervalue is better than no value. No matter how you slice it, it’s a failure in any business strategy. The reputation for being an easy touch is understandable in the early stage of a rebuild and I doubt it would carry over into when a guy could play hardball. The Hammer non-trade, was not that time. 

Wasn't the hamhuis non trade at a time the canucks were still trying to be competitive?

either way I don't agree with you on just trading picks for anything just to get something 

we are are allowed to disagree 

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes. No. Maybe. 

Good point though, worthy of a thread on projecting roster support for an emerging core.

However, this is not a team looking for anything more than a few DD’s and Vaneks.

They won’t cost much, being a common player available via UFA and that will be reflected in what kind of contracts they might command. 

Different story for impact players and players of a certain age group looking for long-term. So, I think you’re fear mongering a bit, but I will give you this one just because I didn’t put any thought into that Batman-lockout routine. Cheers. 

Well, for our needs in this years UFA crop.

Tavares is the prize

But almost everyone otherwise is older, slower and looking for that retirement contract.  We have Eriksson (who I am hoping if there's a lockout a compliance buyout could be used on)

JVR

Neal

Green

Carlson

Eller

Bailey

Nash

Maroon

Honestly, there's some guys about to get fn paid...but most likely over paid.  I cannot see the need for guys 30+ getting $5+ million a year out of this years big name free agents on this team sadly.  Aside from Tavares and Carlson I am not even remotely interested in it

But like every year we're going to see a lot of those guys get more money or term than they'll produce for.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Really?  Missed?

2014:  Virtanen, McCaan.  Virtanen arguably was rumoured to be demanded via a higher power in the organization as Gillis wanted Larkin.  McCaan has done not a whole lot and was traded for arguably one of the most sought after stay at home defensemen to a team that was literally bleeding goals from the goal line.  Both are currently NHL players

2015:  Boeser.  Playoffs and 7th best team in the league, nailed this one

2016:  Juolevi.  Arguably the top defenseman in the draft.  7 other GMs passed over Sergachev, 13 passed over McAvoy.  We needed defensemen for the future.  You know, after failing so miserably on every other move he made.  #1 defensemen don't just fall in to your lap, they're drafted and developed.  Currently having a record breaking U20 year in Finland.

2017:  Petterson.  Potentially breaking Forsbergs modern day record.   

So...aside from Virtanen who is still an NHL player and McCaan who...is still an NHL player.  who did he miss on again?

As the OWNERS went with a rookie pres and GM.  You think they're smart in firing one or both to hire someone new 2 years in to a rebuild....

k

To be fair, while other GMs have been enjoying their draft choices, actually playing in the NHL, JB has a bunch of top prospects. 

It it will take a whole lot to make OJ a better pick than MT over a 5 or even 10 year span, for instance. Petterson is a rail who might break on his first shift against Perry or Kassian. I’d rather not count chicks before they catch, this way. 

I’d also rather have NHL impact players than prospects, this far into a rebuild with a record setting collection of top-6 picks. 

i think if ownership wants to be more involved maybe they can contribute in other ways. ie talk to league on how they can optimize the schedule so the teams like van out west can stay healthier.  they try to do it fair now but i think they need to actually catter to vancouver and some of the other teams out west.   we have to travel the most typically so why not optimize the schedule for the teams out east. sure it may increase travel of eastern teams but hey the distance van has to travel even for divisional or conference games is more then teams like ny buffalo and tor who can drive to the next city in under 2 hours.  a Seattle expansion will help a little but come on.  aquaman also could make improvements on the team facilities ie add in a spa, swimming pool, games room if we dont got 1. maybe add in a mini soccer field for warmup games.  perhaps do weekly fan giveaways where u upgrade parties and they join aquaman in the box.  let him talk to fans show hes a nice guy.  aquaman has skills.  he just has to compliment his gm not trying to be an  a-gm. 

lots he could do. but let your gm do the gm related tasks.   thats my 2 cents. if i was the owner id invite fans up to the booth. maybe season ticket holders get pizzza and beer with franceso!

god i wish i could do that with him lol 

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Has Benning made mistakes ? Yes.

I think that the good has out weighed the bad and between him and Linden they have got our drafting moving in the right direction. 

My worry about a change at this point could mean an impatient ownership who is looking to  accelerate the rebuild. 

If they use the acquired depth and more draft picks to obtain a quick short term fix. I think I would pack up my Canuck bags and move on to Vegus. If they Don't allow the rebuild to be completed properly then I will have had enough. I Don't care who leads the way just finish what has been started. The true core fans have invested years in this team and several into this rebuild. To see it just pissed away would be too much for me.

This so much

I think Benning deserves two more years based on his drafting alone

i think he should at least have the opportunity to show that his vision is worth the wait, which I believe it is

i see that Benning is focusing on hard nosed two way players that have a scoring touch (Lind, gadjovich, gaudette) to properly fill the bottom 6.

he has his star forwards in Brock Bo and Pettersson to make up the core of the top 6 and Lind gadjovich gaudette and virtanen to be the core of the bottom 6

The d I see sticking are juolevi, gudbranson stetcher tanev(or what comes of his trade) and a dman from this draft

projected to have to fill holes on the fly in 2 years but that's how teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh stay relevant 

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

I'm in a court room, on the stand.

I was a paying customer on a sinking ship

The Judge asks me, " did you explicitly here the captain ask for the childs life jacket before the ship capsized?"

I say yes.

He asks me, " Is this the kind of captain that should be leading this ship?"

No your honor I would expect someone with a strong character and voice to command a ship of this size.

what are you trying to say

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

To be fair, while other GMs have been enjoying their draft choices, actually playing in the NHL, JB has a bunch of top prospects. 

It it will take a whole lot to make OJ a better pick than MT over a 5 or even 10 year span, for instance. Petterson is a rail who might break on his first shift against Perry or Kassian. I’d rather not count chicks before they catch, this way. 

I’d also rather have NHL impact players than prospects, this far into a rebuild with a record setting collection of top-6 picks. 

I won't argue that we're seeing other teams playing their rookies.

But they have space, or they've been stockpiling youth for a long time after 3-4-5 bad seasons.

We don't/didn't have room.  We saw what rushing them in did to Virtanen and McCaan

This is the first time this organization has done the following

Drafted consecutively and well without trading picks or youth immediately

Developed their kids instead of rushing them in during their D+1

We are in year 2 of our actual rebuild.  Benning inherited a 6th overall pick then immediately saw the team end up 7th best in the league the following year.

For a guy who drafted high, then low then high again he has arguably built this prospect pool for the organization to the deepest and most skilled it has ever been.  We've also never been patient with our kids and developed them which we're doing now.  We're not in a rush and that's awesome honestly because the true change doesn't occur until the twins are gone or step back.  Something everyone has agreed on.

I still think next year we're a top 15 pick before truly contending for regular playoff berths in 2020-2021 and that's ok

Next year could see us introduce Dahlen/Juolevi/Petterson/Gaudette.  The following Lind/Gadjovich/Chatfield/Gaudette/Petterson

All depending on what management and coaching thinks is their readiness and I for one couldn't be happier.  Because even IF all of them make it somehow, completely screwing with the overall odds of that happening.  We would have no depth afterwards.  We still need this and next years drafts to have any kind of quality depth or to ensure that we have bona fide nhl ready prospects and prospect depth

I am worried about any kind of switch at this point.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m running out of years Hippy.  Our team can’t go back to making its goal to be mediocre.  JB has some really good young players coming.  Switching Horses Mid Stream is not a wise move.  

Alf, That is hitting close to home. It would be my Canuck luck to have them win the CUP while I sit there drooling into my cup of warm milk! Stay the course win Jim Benning! I have confidence in him and Trevor Linden. They are quality people as I think the Acqualinis are as well. 

Go back and see what the young guys coming up have to say about Benning and Linden. Gaudette just recently said that he wasn't even thinking about not signing with the Canucks. Said Benning had treated him in a real quality way. Benning has to get at least another 2 more years. By that time his draft picks should start arriving in force. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Bottom line is whoever replaces him will HAVE to make an immediate impact.

The ONLY way to do that will be via trading our youth or signing high priced UFAs

Nothing says success like shuttering the rebuild after year 2 and doing exactly what this club has done every decade since inception.

Even not considering hockey operations and success, It would make zero business sense, at all.  The only way it would is if Benning had in 4 years completely destroyed the team and mortgaged away or given it no hope for the future.  Everyone knew the team was on a steep decline and that it wasn't going to turn around in a few off-seasons.  The fruits of his labours are going to be seen in the next couple of years; makes no sense to ditch him now unless there is nothing positive on the horizon but if anyone has been following the prospects they know how promising things are looking at this point.

Sure he’s made mistakes but behind the scenes we don’t know what was going on and what may have been influenced moves. When Benning was hired he was told to retool on the fly and be a playoff team. Forced his hands trying and find buried talent with all those near waiver eligible players where he missed more than he hit. Also people that complain about Eriksson like who saw that coming? He had 33 goals and 63 points the year before. The market had been set at 6x6 with the Okposo and Lucic deals. Who could have foreseen no slow decline in Eriksson. At the time it seemed like the perfect target 60+ point player who had previous chemistry with the twins.

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

-Hammer, same again except Hamhuis worked with the team, we had a deal in place with Dallas, then Dallas lowered their initial offer (think it was reduced to a 4th round pick) Jim turned away from the deal because it was just way too low for the calibre of Dman that Hamhuis was. Which I actually support, at some point you have to make a stand and say this is not a fair deal whatsoever, he did and he walked away and unfortunately we got nothing for him.

I agree with almost everything in your post. I just wanted to add to your Hamhuis point that, imo, I'm glad he backed off that trade. He may have gotten nothing at the end of it for Hamhuis, but it set up the next trade deadline to be a home run because GMs knew JB wasn't going to be lowballed. He ends up getting top end prospects and picks the following deadline, which he may not have gotten if he had dumped Hamhuis for whatever Dallas GM wanted to lowball us with after agreeing to a deal initially.

For those saying that we should change the GM as long as whoever it is continues with the rebuild, what's the point of changing GMs then instead of re-signing JB? If upper management wants to change GMs, the objectives of the team will be changing most likely whether it is to want to start winning now or something different than what Benning's vision is.

Archived