The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Report/Speculation] The Official Erik Karlsson Thread (Keep it all here please)

On 5/16/2018 at 5:41 AM, qwijibo said:

How are Vancouver trading for 2 of the top D in the league without giving up Horvat, Boeser ,and Pettersson? Lol   I know you said date to dream. But you really went all out with that one. 

It wouldn't be that hard between

OJ

7th overall

36th overall

Gaudette

Demko

Di Pietro

Dahlen

Gadjovich

Goldobin

Tanev

I'm not saying we should...but we have more assets to offer than just the big 3. I'm sure the aforementioned could be bundled in such a way to get a deal done.

Edit: lol, I didn't realize he was suggesting both PK and Karl....yea, that seems a bit suspect.

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nope, we can sign him for free because Ottawa is screwing themselves.

The Tavares sweepstakes might be good cover for a team trying to get Karlsson. Curious if he goes at the draft.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:42 AM, canuckleface77 said:

@dellowhockey on how: http://bit.ly/2DSfJOq

Botch also discusses it in the Provies: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-provies-gaunce-v-jpat-a-guddy-warning-a-hawks-warning-and-the-karlsson-case

So Canuck Nation...a Karlsson, Petersson, Boeser PP does kinda have a nice ring to it. ;) 

THOUGHTS?

Not at this point in time. We need support pieces while our young guys continue to develop. Karlsson is better off on a Cup contender.

Great player, wrong timing.  In no place to be giving up young assets.

Bid as UFA great but what it would take to trade for him would set back this rebuild considerably.  EP will have been in the league for a year, if his legend continues to grow than maybe that will be of some help in attracting him.

• 3 weeks later...

Could Chris Tanev + 7th overall + rights to Tryamkin be a starting point?  I feel I'm gonna get lite up for that offering be to soft. I personally don't want to use Tryamkin either lol. 

If they had concerns of re-signing him I hope they move him for an Elite guy like Karlsson so it hurts less.

On 25/05/2018 at 3:09 AM, EoH said:

Maybe we can pull a wild and sign both Tavares and Karlsson. That be the fun dream. 

But it I also wonder who would be the poster boy if Karlsson left Ottawa..? 

I believe we could be in the playoff conversation if we traded for him.  Not Tavares but Karlsson. If his ankle holds up after that new type of procedure I see him playing well until he's 40-41 if he wants too.

I don't know how I feel on it. If Jim wants it I'm all in.

The only way we get Karlsson is if he comes out publicly and says he wants a trade and will only go to Vancouver... even then it would be iffy.

Otherwise the cost in assets is just too much and doesn’t get us ahead.

Juolevi and a conditional 2019 1st round pick (top 3 protected) is the most I would offer.  The pick being conditional on him re-signing with us and reverting to a lower pick if we didn’t.

Probably a dozen teams would happily beat that offer.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

The only way we get Karlsson is if he comes out publicly and says he wants a trade and will only go to Vancouver... even then it would be iffy.

Otherwise the cost in assets is just too much and doesn’t get us ahead.

Juolevi and a conditional 2019 1st round pick (top 3 protected) is the most I would offer.  The pick being conditional on him re-signing with us and reverting to a lower pick if we didn’t.

Probably a dozen teams would happily beat that offer.

I think JB phones to find out the price for EK, but he will not give up what Ottawa will want.  Plus, it’s not like EK is young anymore.  If we really want him, why not just wait the year, and sign him as a UFA?  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think JB phones to find out the price for EK, but he will not give up what Ottawa will want.  Plus, it’s not like EK is young anymore.  If we really want him, why not just wait the year, and sign him as a UFA?  

I bet he already has :)

I still can't believe people aren't up for getting Karlsson. I honestly can't name one Norris calibur defenseman who wasn't worth the trade cost or money paid? Can anybody honestly name one where it actually hurt the team to acquire one of them?! Seriously. I wanna know!!

Reason being is they think the game too well and every single one of them are extremely hard to acquire. EK is in his prime, has many years left and I honestly don't care what it costs. Even if we had to overpay for him, I think it's something we gotta be in on. Aside from Boeser, Horvat, or Petterson, nothing else should be off the table.

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

I still can't believe people aren't up for getting Karlsson. I honestly can't name one Norris calibur defenseman who wasn't worth the trade cost or money paid? Can anybody honestly name one where it actually hurt the team to acquire one of them?! Seriously. I wanna know!!

Reason being is they think the game too well and every single one of them are extremely hard to acquire. EK is in his prime, has many years left and I honestly don't care what it costs. Even if we had to overpay for him, I think it's something we gotta be in on. Aside from Boeser, Horvat, or Petterson, nothing else should be off the table.

Umm, we don't have the depth of assets to make a trade like that. Ottawa would want one of Boeser, Horvat or Pettersson plus a 7th just to start. Karlsson will not make us contenders. We'd still need to finish our rebuild. Trading for him now is beyond stupid.

Trading for Karlsson would be so so stupid at this point..You would have to offer a big package

Boser, 1st rounder, Gaudette, 2nd rounder in 2019..

I would her make a trade for Karlsson as we are 2 years away from being a playoff team..

Keep on this path and make a few trade but players have to be under 25 years old to keep this group together..

2019-2020 Playoffs for sure..

On 2/2/2018 at 6:42 AM, scheif16 said:

hey how about NO NO NO

ARE we RELATED?   I said:   NO NO and NO . . . Thank you for totally agreeing with me!   I would lose my deposit and give up my seats.   Don't get me wrong I like EK, but to give up on OUR Prince Charming who can score and Petterson - are you kidding me . . .

1 minute ago, The Great Canucks said:

Umm, we don't have the depth of assets to make a trade like that. Ottawa would want one of Boeser, Horvat or Pettersson plus a 7th just to start. Karlsson will not make us contenders. We'd still need to finish our rebuild. Trading for him now is beyond stupid.

Yeah. We do. Pretty sure they were listed at the top of page 22, here. That doesn't even include any of the roster players Ottawa may want in the deal. Also you have to consider what Ottawa values most. Guys like Tanev and Olli Juolevi. Cheap contracts, good players, lots of years of control. Overpaying is worth it because these guys don't make it to free agency. They're too valuable. A trade with a contract extension is not out of the question, IMO. Could Olli be as good as Karlsson. Maybe, but doubtful. That's the only situation where I see the value of the trade evening out. No matter what, Ottawa is losing the best player in the deal and that's likely how history would grade the trade. And they have to trade him. They have no choice now. He wants out!!!

Archived