The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] STL Blues Interested in Senators Mike Hoffman and Derick Brassard

Rush17

The St. Louis Blues are “engaged in serious discussions” with the Ottawa Senators on a trade that could involve forwards Mike Hoffman or Derick Brassard, according to a new report from Blues beat writer Lou Korac.

Citing a source, Korac reports if the two teams complete a trade, it will be for one of Hoffman or Brassard but not both. A potential package going back to Ottawa could include forwards Vladimir Sobotka, Patrik Berglund and Robby Fabbri according to Korac.

The Blues have already been active on the trade market, acquiring forward Nikita Soshnikov from the Toronto Maple Leafs on Thursday

Hoffman’s name has been in trade rumours most of the season. Back in December, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported the Blues were interested in trading for the sniper, who has two more years left on his contract.

In 56 games this season, Hoffman has 16 goals and 39 points. He’s scored at least 26 goals in each of the past three seasons. Brassard, who will be an unrestricted free agent in 2019, has 16 goals and 32 points this season. Both Hoffman and Brassard have modified no-trade clauses.

Blues GM Doug Armstrong suggested Friday that his team could be busy ahead of the Feb. 26 trade deadline.

“I think we’re going to be active on hockey trades more than rental trades,” Armstrong said on Hockey Central at Noon. “The reality is if you’re trading an unrestricted free agent at that time you’re going to get what you can get and sometimes that won’t come until the last second.

“I think it’s actually going to be a really busy time though.”

If they're truly going after Brassard, you know Stastny is going back the other way.  And then it becomes what you're going to take from St. Louis to deal with that cap hit.  If Ottawa nails this trade, they could prove to be a real winner in 3 years time.

14 minutes ago, richado said:

The Duchene trade looks so dumb now. They trade futures for a big name and are sellers only months later. I bet they'd be looking to trade Duchene if they hadn't only just got him. 

that trade appeared to kill the team's drive this season

that says a lot about duchene.. look how well avs played after he was dumped

and look how well kyle turris has played for the predators

the clearest thing about that trade is how badly ottawa undervalued turris (and of course, the corollary, how badly they overvalued duchene) - turns out turris for duchene would have been an overpayment by ottawa

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

that trade appeared to kill the team's drive this season

that says a lot about duchene.. look how well avs played after he was dumped

and look how well kyle turris has played for the predators

the clearest thing about that trade is how badly ottawa undervalued turris (and of course, the corollary, how badly they overvalued duchene) - turns out turris for duchene would have been an overpayment by ottawa

The sad part is that in complete denial they will sign Duchesne to an extension with big $ and term to try and justify the whole mistake. 

18 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

If we get lucky and win the lottery I would trade Juolevi Gaudette our 2019 first and retain salary on Loui Eriksson for Erik Karlsson

Karlsson Tanev

Edler Dahlin

Gudbranson Stecher

depends on who you are getting.. . karlsson?

the 2017 version, pre injury - then sure

the 2018 version, post injury - i'd want a longer window to assess this player, he appears he may be damaged goods, and a lessor player moving forward

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

depends on who you are getting.. . karlsson?

the 2017 version, pre injury - then sure

the 2018 version, post injury - i'd want a longer window to assess this player, he appears he may be damaged goods, and a lessor player moving forward

He's still got lots in the tank. He's going to have a long off season this year and will come back strong, similar to stamkos.  No way Karlsson is done, just an off year.

51 minutes ago, richado said:

The Duchene trade looks so dumb now. They trade futures for a big name and are sellers only months later. I bet they'd be looking to trade Duchene if they hadn't only just got him. 

Yup. Trade gas not worked out yet. I doubt he even re-signs there. Their only hope may be getting something for him at the deadline next year.

Archived