The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] James Van Riemsdyk possibly on trade block

48 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I love how he's answered the reporter's question without really saying anything.  Mike Babcock for Premier?  :lol:

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I don't think anything is an easy decision. We've talked about this a bunch, you always have this plan but your plan can always change.

It depends on what people want. There's lots of times you're going through and not planning on doing anything and you end up doing something. We don't really know, in the end, what's available and what we could pursue either.

The way I look at it is, instead of worrying about that stuff, you just keep playing good and give ourselves the best opportunity

I love it.

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Canucks have already said they want to keep Tanev to mentor Juolevi next season. I don't think he's going anywhere this season.

They just re-signed Gudbranson and really seem to like him, so I imagine he'll be staying for the immediate future.

The Canucks did say they were looking for a top 6 physical forward, which Van Riemsdyk is. I wonder if they'll make a trade offer for him. They did mention the possibility of trading a skilled player (Goldobin?)

TOR wants a r-shot D to help them in the playoffs. Tanev and Gudbranson would be the only two players they'd be interested in, I would think. Unless they have their eye on Stecher?

I've always found JVR to be a bit of a diver who has size.

3 minutes ago, richado said:

This is the type of guy Benning gets a chubby over, but not the guy we need right now. Scared he might give into the temptation and have his JVR fling. Though if he comes with Liljegren, I'll let Benning do as he pleases with James. 

That's kind of what I thought regarding Benning tbh and after hearing the team is looking at a top 6 forward player I could see Benning getting excited, but then again because of his stupid Eriksson signing he's limited himself going after these type of players anyways. If he was able to get ride of Eriksson I think he would be all over JVR but in the off season as a UFA, no way he trades assets for a player who could just sign somewhere else in the off season especially for a team that isn't even in the playoffs I don't think Jim is that stupid.

1 minute ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

I can see Benning trading Tanev for JVR with an extension.

Fits with what he want's to do, "hockey trades".

Wouldn't be surprised if that's what Lamoriello is pushing for with all the talk of Toronto linked to Tanev.

What?  Zero chance Tanev is traded for JVR, unless TO adds its first, and a grade A prospect.  

7 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

I can see Benning trading Tanev for JVR with an extension.

Fits with what he want's to do, "hockey trades".

Wouldn't be surprised if that's what Lamoriello is pushing for with all the talk of Toronto linked to Tanev.

Well then Lamarillo can pound sand.

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What?  Zero chance Tanev is traded for JVR, unless TO adds its first, and a grade A prospect.  

JVR almost has more points than Tanev has games played this year. JVR has 25 goals while averaging 14 minutes a game. And before you try name drop Matthews, JVR has not been on Matthews' line this season. JVR is a perennial 25+ goal scorer and is in his prime. Not saying I'd take the deal in our current situation but I'd say they are about equal value.

6 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Then you flip Jvr to a high hope playoff team for a couple picks

So when Toronto trades JvR, he's basically a throw in piece to sweeten the pot, but the minute he puts on a Canucks jersey, he's now worth a few draft picks just on his own.

Boy does his value suddenly rise fast in this scenario. 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't even know why canucks would ask for him. He's Ufa at end of year. Unless he signs extension but they can chase him in summer and also get a good package for Tanev.

Also if signing price is similar I think we should go after Kane as Ufa. Jvr is not physical enough and that is something we need. 

Also I don't think Leafs trade for a big asset and trade away jvr. If they are buying they go for it but aren't ready to make a run yet. I see them letting the rebuild ripen for another year before going for a run. 

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't even know why canucks would ask for him. He's Ufa at end of year. Unless he signs extension but they can chase him in summer and also get a good package for Tanev.

Also if signing price is similar I think we should go after Kane as Ufa. Jvr is not physical enough and that is something we need. 

Also I don't think Leafs trade for a big asset and trade away jvr. If they are buying they go for it but aren't ready to make a run yet. I see them letting the rebuild ripen for another year before going for a run. 

I heard on AM 650 that the Laughs are pushing hard to get Tanev. I could see them offering up JVR as the main piece of a trade. It makes sense for the Laughs. Take some from their strength and get some help for their defense for the playoffs and beyond. Being a UFA, JVR as the main piece doesn't make much sense for us. I am sure Benning would hold out for at least their 1st as the main piece for any Tanev trade with them.

3 hours ago, Alexandre said:

I heard on AM 650 that the Laughs are pushing hard to get Tanev. I could see them offering up JVR as the main piece of a trade. It makes sense for the Laughs. Take some from their strength and get some help for their defense for the playoffs and beyond. Being a UFA, JVR as the main piece doesn't make much sense for us. I am sure Benning would hold out for at least their 1st as the main piece for any Tanev trade with them.

That's the thing -- trades have to make sense for both sides.  We aren't here to do them any favours, undoubtedly they could find a contender to take JVR and put him to good use.  Indeed, trade him FIRST, then they may have some assets to flip that we want in return.  That way it also doesn't look like they're giving up a big portion of their own future assets (even though their "rebuild is done").

So are they giving any substance, like evidence of actual conversations taking place and what's being considered as on the table, or is it pure morning-talk conjecture and speculation?  Twitterverse appears silent.

Archived