The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Draft picks

scheif16

Just 6 picks in 7 rounds?  OMG!  It's a disaster!  :frantic:  

That one missing pick is Pouliot, who JB gave up a 4th round pick for.  Sounds like a rebuild supporting pick to me.  If the Canucks didn't have a 1st, 2nd or maybe even 3rd round pick, then that would be something.  But they do.  And since nobody was giving away free 1st round picks for Vanek, I say we're doing just fine.

46 minutes ago, scheif16 said:

JB and TL finally said the canucks are "rebuilding", but how can we have just 6 draft picks in 2018?! Doesn't really look like a rebuild in my opinion...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/teams-hold-draft-picks-2018-nhl-trade-deadline/

So, you understand that past first round, the chance of picks making the NHL is really low, right? Like less than 15% from 3rd round on.

Getting guys who are young and you know can play in the league is not a bad thing.

I think what the OP was saying is that the Canucks only have 6 picks this year (compared to NYR who have 6 picks in the first three rounds), when they could've had a lot more if Benning made some good trades. For some reason, Benning wants to hang on to Tanev and Baertschi etc, as he thinks they are foundational pieces. I hope he makes the best of those picks. He needs to knock each one out of the park. 

19 hours ago, scheif16 said:

So you build a team through free agency or how?

Im not even going to answer your question, your way to negative to engage with and I have better things to do with my time. People like you make Vancouver fans look stupid

On 2018-02-28 at 10:11 AM, Fanuck said:

I get it, the higher the number of pics the better the odds and so forth, but in the end.....

It's not about the NUMBER of players you draft - it's about WHO you draft. 

It’s actually both.  The draft is largely a crap shoot.  You can do your due diligence in scouting players. But the bottom line is a lot of highly drafted plates will bust while a few guys who go lower will surprise.  Having more irons in the fire isn’t a bad thing.  

We are in good hands. If we get a worthwhile offer, JB will add more picks. Holding out while getting lowball offers (e.g. 2nd & 4th for Gudbranson) means that when he finally does pull the trigger (draft?), it will be for maximum value.  He’s always been good at drafting, but he’s currently improving his trades and signings. 

... I think I just talked to myself into really liking JB‘s extension, haha

7 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

We are in good hands. If we get a worthwhile offer, JB will add more picks. Holding out while getting lowball offers (e.g. 2nd & 4th for Gudbranson) means that when he finally does pull the trigger (draft?), it will be for maximum value.  He’s always been good at drafting, but he’s currently improving his trades and signings. 

... I think I just talked to myself into really liking JB‘s extension, haha

Since the 2019 draft is here, I wonder if JB makes trades this summer, and before the 2019 TDL to collect picks for our home draft?  Tanev this summer, and Edler next TDL?  Others?  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Since the 2019 draft is here, I wonder if JB makes trades this summer, and before the 2019 TDL to collect picks for our home draft?  Tanev this summer, and Edler next TDL?  Others?  

Would make sense to me. And some of our forward depth will need to be traded. 

Not to be a stick in the mud, but based on how well the Canucks do when it comes to the lottery, I suspect it will be another4th/5th pick again. That being said, here is a proposal to chew on:

Canucks trade their 1st round pick (#4/5) to Detroit for their 1st (#29/30) + a 2nd (#40) and 6th (#164) 2018.

Rationale:

#29/30 according to ranking would be Dominik Bokk - who plays with Petterson (last year's #1 pick).

Use #40 (2nd) trade to Vegas for their 2nd round pick (#60) and 5th/6th 2019.

This gives the Canucks I think a better 1st + they pick up 2 extra picks this year and1 more next year.

Should be noted that the next pick is Thomas.

Archived