The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the Sedin Hate

Goat James

At this rate, I'd be shocked if they don't come back for at least one more year. Daniel has 5 goals in his last 4 games and 7 goals in his last 7 games. Even if it's just a hot streak, the fact that they can have these kind of streaks speaks to their ability to still play in this league.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

At this rate, I'd be shocked if they don't come back for at least one more year. Daniel has 5 goals in his last 4 games and 7 goals in his last 7 games. Even if it's just a hot streak, the fact that they can have these kind of streaks speaks to their ability to still play in this league.

Another game or two and I think we'll start seeing bras on the ice.

Next season is our 50th. I think the team wants them back next season and are hoping they stay for the 50th celebrations. I also think that the entitlement crap is more contrived media garbage that people are buying into. Moreover, I think that if the team didn't want them back, they would let them know behind closed doors. We all know the Sedins character; if they weren't wanted, they would retire. It would be nice if more of our fans showed some similar character and quit bashing two of the best players we've had the privilege to call Canucks.

The whiners who've taken over the GDTs and watch for mistakes in certain players every single game come across like this.

39 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

I don't think anyone on this forum 'hates' the Sedins

They are the classiest players in the league, have given their hearts and soles to the Canuck organization and are guaranteed HOF players.

@The Big Luongo

hates them. And actively states it in GDT's. Calls them soft, lazy, and the reason why we didn't win a cup.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

3 conditions:

1) They want to keep playing.

2) They don't take away ice time from new players, and happily accept a more limited role (That includes no first unit pp, no overtime).

3) They sign affordable deals with reasonable term. 

why no first unit power play?

who is better at it then them?

you looking to gift spots?

why not let members of the 2nd unit show they are better first

and earn the first unit power play time

what is with this mindset that we remove quality players

from key positions and lines

before the young talent has earned those roles?
i mean really who else in life really does this

in a situation where business ethics guide decision making ?

i am pleased bo brock and whoever earned the 1st line role on this team

and took it away from the sedins

let's have others do the same for other roles

the 2nd line role and any power play role

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

3 conditions:

1) They want to keep playing.

2) They don't take away ice time from new players, and happily accept a more limited role (That includes no first unit pp, no overtime).

3) They sign affordable deals with reasonable term. 

I think thats probably all possible. I'd like to see 4) be split up occasionally. 

But if this was it too I'm fine with that as well. I do think Henrik is struggling more than Daniel though, not sure how that plays into things, maybe its some nagging issue? 

But I'm with @PhillipBlunt a person can want them to retire and it doesn't equate to "hate" just a different look for the team sooner than later. 

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

The twins are currently the number 2 & 3 point producers on the team, it is absolutely ludicrous that anyone would suggest that the number 2 & 3 point producers on any NHL team are still playing due to some form of entitlement, other than pure production. 

Yeah, there are some real reading comprehension issues and assumptions happening here...

:unsure:

37 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, there are some real reading comprehension issues and assumptions happening here...

:unsure:

I did say "anyone", don't really care who it is. There is no entitlement involved as long as they are leading point producers. 

We all know the Sedins aren't nearly the players they used to be.  And yes, they are defensive liabilities. 

But they provide good leadership and mentorship and they represent commitment to this team.  Oh yeah - and they are also 2-3 in scoring on the team and have a collective 86 points.  That's not at all insignificant.

If they want to come back next season for reasonable contracts, I absolutely want them back. 

Only thing that really scares me about re-signing them is their speed.

They can clearly still produce offence and their fitness/leadership etc value isn't really arguable. But they're SLOOOOWWWWWWW. In a game that keeps getting faster every year, it's tough to shelter that, particularly TWO guys (and is probably the main reason their d-ability and correspondingly +/- etc has eroded).

I'm still firmly on the fence. I'd be fine getting younger and faster and letting them ride off in to the sunset to a deserved jersey retirement, HOF etc. But I'd also not be terribly upset to have them back one more year as support players on lesser contracts so long as they're one of the last priorities this summer (AKA - we should make any trades, sign UFA's etc under the assumption they're not coming back).

If they are possibly coming back, I also love another user's suggestion (sorry I forget who) for having them 'Mike Fisher' in part way through the season. Sign a UFA or two, let kids who earn spots start on the big club and once we start running in to injuries and/or kids maybe falter, have them parachute in, in say December under lesser and now pro-rated contracts. Until that time they can stay in shape in a fitness/skills coach and team ambassador/mentor roles.

It's not hate to acknowledge that it's time to move on from them as an organization. This is a good stretch we've seen recently, yes. But there have been LONG stretches where they have just been plain AWFUL for stretches of time. Where was this Sedin play earlier in the season when we were still legitimately fighting for a playoff spot amongst injuries to Bo, Sven and others?

This is damn near classic Swedish contract year shenanigans, where they play lights out for a small stretch, just enough to make you think "Gee whiz these guys can still play!" and then their agent ravages you for a 2-3 year deal with full NMC at 4-5 million each, and then they play like crap, not because they want to play like crap, not because skill wise they are crap, just the realization that father time catches up to EVERYONE.

To everyone whining about how the Sedins are being disrespected, this is how you come across:

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who ever said that they hate the Sedins? I know that many would prefer that they retire, but to say that people hate them is a complete overstatement. I can't see how anyone would hate people like them.

I am ready for them to retire because it is simply time to move on. That isn't hate.

They are most likely my all time favourite Canucks.

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

I am ready for them to retire because it is simply time to move on. That isn't hate.

They are most likely my all time favourite Canucks.

It isn't hate at all, Shift. Merely seeing the situation for what it is. If there are capable young players (which I believe there are) in the system that can step into the NHL, then re-signing the Sedins becomes an exercise in nostalgia.

To state that it's time for them to move on is no more disrespectful than it was to move on from Burrows, Bieksa, or Hansen. All served the team well. All will be remembered fondly and with a sense of honor and reverence. None are hated.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It isn't hate at all, Shift. Merely seeing the situation for what it is. If there are capable young players (which I believe there are) in the system that can step into the NHL, than re-signing the Sedins becomes an exercise in nostalgia.

To state that it's time for them to move on is no more disrespectful than it was to move on from Burrows, Bieksa, or Hansen. All served the team well. All will be remembered fondly and with a sense of honor and reverence. None are hated.

I felt the same way about Linden when he returned. He was my all time favourite Canuck at the time. When he returned he was no more effective than a young Burrows. Time to move on. Out with the old, in with the new. 

Yet I still love them all.

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

I felt the same way about Linden when he returned. He was my all time favourite Canuck at the time. When he returned he was no more effective than a young Burrows. Time to move on. Out with the old, in with the new. 

Yet I still love them all.

Words of a fan. A clear-headed and realistic fan of the team, not just of certain players. I feel the same way.

Archived