The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - NYI : Tanev for 1st 2018 (15*) and Ho-Sang

Tanev gives the Islanders the defensive presence they were missing this season and helps to incentivize Tavares to return.

In return, the Canucks get another top 15 pick. This could make for a draft with Dahlin/Boqvist/Hughes/Bouchard + Wilde/McIsaac/Woo/Dobson. Instantly, our future on defense looks much brighter with Hutton sputtering and Pouliot looking very much like a stop gap. Ho-Sang has continued to struggle with his attitude issues (?). Regardless, he is an offensive dynamo and would help out the Comets a lot next year. He's an expendable asset given the Islanders forward depth.

I'm not much of a proposal guy, so feel free to burn me at the stake if this is way off.

Just now, Mathew Barzal said:

Tanev gives the Islanders the defensive presence they were missing this season and helps to incentivize Tavares to return.

In return, the Canucks get another top 15 pick. This could make for a draft with Dahlin/Boqvist/Hughes/Bouchard + Wilde/McIsaac/Woo/Dobson. Instantly, our future on defense looks much brighter with Hutton sputtering and Pouliot looking very much like a stop gap. Ho-Sang has continued to struggle with his attitude issues (?). Regardless, he is an offensive dynamo and would help out the Comets a lot next year. He's an expendable asset given the Islanders forward depth.

I'm not much of a proposal guy, so feel free to burn me at the stake if this is way off.

How soon after the season are teams allowed to trade guys?  I wonder if the islanders would acquire Tanev to show Tavares they are trying to win now?  This could really work in our favour, right?  

16 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

no burns, I actually like this one a lot. Two top 15 D next draft, yes thank you. 

I don't know how much value Ho-Sang really has, he's not an upgrade on Jake e.g., but he could be an interesting future addition to the top 9 or maybe an energy guy. It would be interesting to see what Green can do with him. 

I like the proposal. But islanders say no just for the simple fact as to y would they. If they lose tavares then they lost a high draft pick and a forward who is a wild card. But they gain a good stay at home defenceman Who is 28 with a lot of miles on him to rebuild around. They still have no goalie

With the Islanders, it all depends on Tavares. If signs point to him leaving, then those picks aren't going anywhere. If it looks like he'll stay, then they would probably use one of those picks to upgrade their roster and Tanev would fit well. Maybe we could include Gagner since he's good friends with Tavares. We just get an extra late round pick. 

I would highly doubt that Snow would pay that for Tanev. I think we will all be sorely disappointed with the return on the inevitable Tanev trade. 

Tanev for Ho Sang and a second might be closer. 

Honestly I have made proposals to acquire Ho Sang in the past. Buuuuuut that was a past that didn't include Pettersson, Goldobin, Dahlen, Leipsic, Boucher. 

The position of smallish skilled fwd appears to have been filled. 

I want the Canucks to find room for Gaudette, Pettersson, and maybe Dahlen, Juolevi, Gadjo, Lind too for a cup of coffee next season. I don't see room for Ho Sang let alone Baertschi, Gagner, Goldy, Boucher and were stuck with Loui. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

How soon after the season are teams allowed to trade guys?  I wonder if the islanders would acquire Tanev to show Tavares they are trying to win now?  This could really work in our favour, right?  

I believe as far as the rules are concerned, you can trade immediately after the regular season is over but only teams not actively in the playoffs.

Considering that NYI could potentially have two lottery picks, as Calgary's I believe is not top 10 protected that they recieved in the trade for Travis Hamonic, and the possibility of losing JT.  I think NYI may decide to hold onto the pick.

Creative idea though, I was definitely thinking about this as well a few weeks ago at the deadline

19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering that NYI could potentially have two lottery picks, as Calgary's I believe is not top 10 protected that they recieved in the trade for Travis Hamonic, and the possibility of losing JT.  I think NYI may decide to hold onto the pick.

Creative idea though, I was definitely thinking about this as well a few weeks ago at the deadline

It's actually why they did not make a trade at the deadline.  Snow was expecting to use the Calgary pick to improve his roster at the deadline but with Calgary possibly missing the playoffs he decided to hold on to the pick.  It's not lottery protected and a top-15 has more value than a late 1st.  

30 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

6 minutes ago, mll said:

It's actually why they did not make a trade at the deadline.  Snow was expecting to use the Calgary pick to improve his roster at the deadline but with Calgary possibly missing the playoffs he decided to hold on to the pick.  It's not lottery protected and a top-15 has more value than a late 1st.  

I understand this, but assuming their picks withstand the draft lottery and Tavares shows interest in re-signing contingent on major moves to make the Islanders a contender I think sacrificing one of their two mid round picks would be an option. If you look at their roster it's not as if a giant youth movement is going on either where they should be stingy with futures. Most of their top producers are in their prime, Barzal and Beauvillier being the exceptions.

Maybe I should have put that hypothetical in the OP, oh well.

Archived