The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Karlsson's son passes away

rekker

Been on a similar boat, it's soul crushing.  

I believe the news was announced around November, meaning they were pregnant for about 1-2 month, so the baby probably came before 23 weeks.  The chances of survival at that amount of weeks is only like 25% (with like 75% chance of developmental issues).  

Chances are the Karlsson family will be doing a lot of wondering.  Wondering what went wrong, wondering what they could have done differently, wondering about the life they thought they will be having.  All questions they (and no one) will never ever have the answers for :(

Horrible news, must be tough to be an athlete and have to carry on (leave for road games, etc.) afterward.  Can't imagine the will to do anything, let alone play hockey, after experiencing the loss of your child.

My sincere condolences go out to the family.  My heart aches for them....

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Been on a similar boat, it's soul crushing.  

I believe the news was announced around November, meaning they were pregnant for about 1-2 month, so the baby probably came before 23 weeks.  The chances of survival at that amount of weeks is only like 25% (with like 75% chance of developmental issues).  

Chances are the Karlsson family will be doing a lot of wondering.  Wondering what went wrong, wondering what they could have done differently, wondering about the life they thought they will be having.  All questions they (and no one) will never ever have the answers for :(

A friend of mine gave birth like 2 months premature. Thank god the baby is doing pretty well... though hate to say it he looks awfully skinny for a baby.

I have heard similar stories as well. Why is everyone giving birth pre-maturely?? I wonder if there are epidemiological studies about this.

I have a close older friend who went through something similar. She's spent most of her life wondering what could have been if she hadn't lost the baby. It's something absolutely brutal on people, to lose a child you've already welcomed into your life before you get to meet them. What a crushing situation.

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

A friend of mine gave birth like 2 months premature. Thank god the baby is doing pretty well... though hate to say it he looks awfully skinny for a baby.

I have heard similar stories as well. Why is everyone giving birth pre-maturely?? I wonder if there are epidemiological studies about this.

Apparently in the US, 1 in 10 babies are now being born prematurely.  

When I'm looking at the list of babies in the same NICU pod as my son, there are/were lots of babies born in the 25-27 weeks range.  Probably just confirmation bias as babies born earlier usually don't make it and those born much later don't usually stay in the NICU long.  

35 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Apparently in the US, 1 in 10 babies are now being born prematurely.  

When I'm looking at the list of babies in the same NICU pod as my son, there are/were lots of babies born in the 25-27 weeks range.  Probably just confirmation bias as babies born earlier usually don't make it and those born much later don't usually stay in the NICU long.  

Thanks. That's ridiculous! I blame pollution!

A person in a middle management position from a Canadian environmental protection firm told me that chemicals from birth control pills actually get urinated and flushed out into the sea... and they find them back in our drinking supply... Scary.

Archived