The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Karlsson's son passes away

rekker

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

What GM will trade for Hoffman now, considering the troubles his gf will bring into the team?  The guy has zero value.  They tried to trade him earlier this season, and there were no takers.  There is more going on with him and his gf than we are privy to.  

I have a feeling that the franchises had suspicions about this all along.

I'm surprised it was kept relatively quiet this long if it's been going on for as long as indicated.  I have to believe that it's not the Hoffman family, they have been targeted by someone hacking their accounts.  If it truly is Hoffman's gf...what an incredible mess and how could he stand by her.  If it is her, she must have some significant mental health issues.   No surprise that the team had issues down the stretch, can't imagine how bad their locker room was.   One would think that a forensic audit of the Hoffman electronic devices could reasonably determine whether they were involved?   One has to be pretty sophisticated with technology to be able to ghost with zero trace.  Or so I'm told by our internal corporate security people who help with investigations in our company.  

On 2018-06-13 at 11:33 AM, Alflives said:

What GM will trade for Hoffman now, considering the troubles his gf will bring into the team?  The guy has zero value.  They tried to trade him earlier this season, and there were no takers.  There is more going on with him and his gf than we are privy to.  

Literally no one. Say he comes to Vancouver and the girlfriend is jealous of Horvat or Boesers partners. Switch that out for any star player on any team

Mike Hoffman, fiancée Monika Caryk deny harassing the Karlssons:

Mike Hoffman and Monika Caryk wanted to clear the air Friday.

They both categorically deny that either of them had anything to do with the cyberbullying of Melinda Karlsson, the wife of Ottawa Senators’ captain Erik Karlsson.

Speaking in an exclusive interview from their home in Kitchener Friday afternoon, Hoffman and Caryk, his fiancée, say they’re distraught over what happened to the Karlssons and they want to help them find the person responsible.

Caryk has hired Toronto lawyer Sheila Block of Torys LLP to reach out to the Karlssons’ representatives and the Senators to conduct a third-party investigation. They are adamant that they do not have anything to hide.

“It’s been a really hard week, to be honest,” Caryk said. “We both feel terrible for (the Karlssons) that they have go through something like this and for us because we’re the accused.”

As we first reported Tuesday, Melinda Karlsson filed an application for an order of protection against Caryk claiming that she was responsible for an online harassment campaign that lasted for most of the last hockey season.

The peace bond was sworn in an Ottawa court on May 4th. It alleged that Caryk repeatedly threatened Melinda over social media and stated that the harassment continued until the couple lost their son in March. This newspaper also reported the Ottawa Police are conducting an investigation into the matter.

No charges have been laid against Caryk and none of these allegations have been proven in court. Hoffman and Caryk say they haven’t been contacted by police.

“We feel compassion and awful for what Erik and Melinda have had to deal with,” Hoffman said. “I don’t really think it’s correct to be blamed for something without having proof.”

“It hasn’t been easy. You don’t wish this upon anyone. The comments were, and have been horrendous, and we haven’t had a chance to defend ourselves until this point.”

Caryk said she first heard she was being accused of the cyberbullying by Melinda on March 22nd — two days after the Karlsson’s son, Axel, was stillborn. Caryk received an email from Taylor Winnik, the wife of Minnesota Wild forward Daniel Winnik.

“I got a horrific email from a girl named Taylor Winnik, and I believe her husband plays in the NHL, saying that I’m a horrible and disgusting person, accusing me of writing negative stuff about the fact that Erik and Melinda lost their child,” Caryk said. “It’s all untrue. Just to state the facts. That was the first time that I was aware of any of this.”

Caryk said she’s never discussion the situation with Melinda Karlsson.

“Melinda has never come to me with any of this. Nothing,” Caryk said.

Hoffman said he only learned of the allegations against Caryk when he got home and he reached out to Karlsson by email immediately.

“I sent a message out to him saying, ‘I’m aware of the situation and I’d like to discuss it and go through it with you’,” Hoffman said.

“It wasn’t until four days later that he spoke with me. We ended up doing it after practice, walking out of the rink, and basically what was said was, ‘I’d like to see what your point of the story is’ and all he had to say was, ‘We know it was Monika’ and I asked whether it was on Instagram? Twitter? Just show something or prove something.

“They wouldn’t do so at the time. All he said was that they knew it was her and it was the only thing mentioned.”

Caryk and Hoffman said they’re willing to work with Karlssons to prove that they weren’t involved.

“We reached out to Erik at the end of May to try and figure this out together and privately before something like this happened,” Hoffman said. “We got nothing back.

“All of a sudden a few days later, we see this article all over social media and all over the world. There’s a few times we’ve tried to go to them to get to the bottom of it and discuss it and see what they had to say and let us defend ourselves but there’s been no option to do that.”

So, why does Caryk think she’s been accused of harassing the Karlssons?

“I’m asking the same question you are,” she said. “I have no idea. Melinda and I weren’t best friends, but we weren’t enemies. We were civil. I honestly have no idea. I’m asking the same question you are.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senators-extra/exclusive-hoffman-fiancee-deny-harassing-the-karlssons

27 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is getting better and better each day. Just wait until The Fifth Estate gets a sit down interview with the Hoffman/Caryk combo. 

Here's the thing - Karlsson is a multi-millionaire. He would have had the resources to have this investigated fully. And he wouldn't have risked the legal ramifications of his wife pressing charges without any proof.

Then add to that the ex-Senators wives (such as Kyle Turris and Andrew Hammond's wives) publicly saying they are not surprised at all.

All I can say is this Monika Caryk must be some piece of work.

16 hours ago, D-Money said:

Here's the thing - Karlsson is a multi-millionaire. He would have had the resources to have this investigated fully. And he wouldn't have risked the legal ramifications of his wife pressing charges without any proof.

Then add to that the ex-Senators wives (such as Kyle Turris and Andrew Hammond's wives) publicly saying they are not surprised at all.

All I can say is this Monika Caryk must be some piece of work.

I actually believe the 'Hoffmans' more than the Karlssons.

Firstly, they didn't press charges. She only filed a type of restraining order. The police (and others) is currently investigating.

Secondly, the Hoffmans are doing absolutely everything they can to clear their names. When you hire a lawyer to coordinate with the Karlssons' lawyers to hire a 3rd party investigator to investigate, you are going pretty far to dig up the truth and leaving yourself out there.

Thirdly, logically speaking, it is far more likely that the digesting tweets and other social media harassments had been coming from other jealous people. Erik Karlsson is a super star and his wife is beyond gorgeous even for hockey wife standards. They must attract plenty of haters. Who is to say the tweets didn't just come from random Leafs/Habs fans? 

Fourth, if the Karlssons have actual proof, the Hoffmans would've probably received a lot more than just a tame restraining order.

My theory: the Missus's probably don't look eye to eye to begin with for whatever reason. Then came the hate tweets and other social media contacts and the Karlssons' just assume that it was Monica Caryk (because it is much harder to blame the faceless masses). Melinda tells the now ex-Sens' wives about her suspicions and the belief cements in their minds over time as the hate tweets continue, even after the unfortunate miscarriage. 

Of course, I can be totally wrong. If law enforcements and other investigators can trace the digital foot prints to Caryk's digital devices, then she is in trouble. 

• 1 month later...

Mike Hoffman’s fiancé, Monika Caryk, has filed an application with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice to force Melinda Karlsson to release any information she has against her pertaining to the alleged harassment.

Karlsson’s lawyer has been instructed by the Karlssons not to hand over any information to Ms. Caryk.

Can Karlsson still compete at a high level and stay focused on hockey when all of this drama is happening in his life?  We put these players on such a high pedestal its easy to forget that they're human beings susceptible to the stresses of regular life.

As talented a player that he is, a crazed Canadian market does not seem like the best place for Karlsson to play.  The constant media focus on this personal issue would be too much of a distraction for not only him but his team mates and management as well.

This situation needs to be resolved before he steps on the ice, for everyone's sake.

22 minutes ago, The Beagle had landed said:

Can Karlsson still compete at a high level and stay focused on hockey when all of this drama is happening in his life?  We put these players on such a high pedestal its easy to forget that they're human beings susceptible to the stresses of regular life.

As talented a player that he is, a crazed Canadian market does not seem like the best place for Karlsson to play.  The constant media focus on this personal issue would be too much of a distraction for not only him but his team mates and management as well.

This situation needs to be resolved before he steps on the ice, for everyone's sake.

I doubt it (to your question).   Same thing, but on different scale of player, when Canucks had Linden Vey here and almost the day he arrived he is contacted by RCMP telling him his father is about to be arrested for conspiring to kill his mother.    If you can even tie up  your skates after that let alone play elite hockey.....

38 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I doubt it (to your question).   Same thing, but on different scale of player, when Canucks had Linden Vey here and almost the day he arrived he is contacted by RCMP telling him his father is about to be arrested for conspiring to kill his mother.    If you can even tie up  your skates after that let alone play elite hockey.....

remember mike danton, when he was playing and he hired some one to kill his coach

On 6/16/2018 at 7:43 AM, Hugor Hill said:

I actually believe the 'Hoffmans' more than the Karlssons.

Firstly, they didn't press charges. She only filed a type of restraining order. The police (and others) is currently investigating.

Secondly, the Hoffmans are doing absolutely everything they can to clear their names. When you hire a lawyer to coordinate with the Karlssons' lawyers to hire a 3rd party investigator to investigate, you are going pretty far to dig up the truth and leaving yourself out there.

Thirdly, logically speaking, it is far more likely that the digesting tweets and other social media harassments had been coming from other jealous people. Erik Karlsson is a super star and his wife is beyond gorgeous even for hockey wife standards. They must attract plenty of haters. Who is to say the tweets didn't just come from random Leafs/Habs fans? 

Fourth, if the Karlssons have actual proof, the Hoffmans would've probably received a lot more than just a tame restraining order.

My theory: the Missus's probably don't look eye to eye to begin with for whatever reason. Then came the hate tweets and other social media contacts and the Karlssons' just assume that it was Monica Caryk (because it is much harder to blame the faceless masses). Melinda tells the now ex-Sens' wives about her suspicions and the belief cements in their minds over time as the hate tweets continue, even after the unfortunate miscarriage. 

Of course, I can be totally wrong. If law enforcements and other investigators can trace the digital foot prints to Caryk's digital devices, then she is in trouble. 

wow you are a real legal beagle i see

so they can just get a :"tame" restraining order

without any evidence and just by filing?

who do i write to for one ?  just curious cuz there are people

i kinda sorta wanna restrain

cuz i had a rough day ..

would make me feel better

52 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

remember mike danton, when he was playing and he hired some one to kill his coach

Yup, just because people choose to play hockey for a living doesn't mean their lives cannot be a total mess.

Bad PR for the sport.

Hope the messed up party involved can sort their s out.....    Really sick to harass others or to make  false accusations....

Just hope they can sort this s out  and move on. Lifes to short to  harass other people.

Move on and enjoy your life.

Life goes by way to quickly as it is. Enjoy each day. Respect others. 

This is just ugly, regardless of the details.

Drama can quickly unfold and cross lines.  Best not to engage in it (at all) whenever possible.  When a child dies, that's the worst exploitation of things. 

I hope they all recover and the truth sorts this out.   And when it does, important to remember that beauty on the outside can be ugly on the inside.  What would drive someone to reach this low?....mind boggling.   Leave people alone when they lose a child....

On a personal note, I'm just glad my Burr's out of that hellhole of an organization.  Seems like a tangled web over there and I wonder if that factored into his decision making.  Integrity....

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is just ugly, regardless of the details.

Drama can quickly unfold and cross lines.  Best not to engage in it (at all) whenever possible.  When a child dies, that's the worst exploitation of things. 

I hope they all recover and the truth sorts this out.   And when it does, important to remember that beauty on the outside can be ugly on the inside.  What would drive someone to reach this low?....mind boggling.   Leave people alone when they lose a child....

On a personal note, I'm just glad my Burr's out of that hellhole of an organization.  Seems like a tangled web over there and I wonder if that factored into his decision making.  Integrity....

the sens are a tire fire. To think four stars players left that team makes you question  whats the real issue with them? Heathly, Speeza, Alferson, Karlson

Archived