The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is there an appetite to try and get back Cory Schneider at a reduced, competitive salary?

Price

Schneids

Holtby

Allen

Crawford

Darling

Elliott

Bishop

Mike Smith

Anderson & Condon

Talbot

Lehner

Gibson

Vharlamov...

Due to injuries, or other consistency problems, a number of teams had troubles this yr with their(certain, or supposed) main guys. At least Markstrom was rather durable this year.

So I'd demand a pretty good pick to mess with what we have.

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I want him back as I think he is an upgrade over Markstrom. Markstrom is a bit too tightly-wounded for my taste of goaltenders, and I think Schneider would be a better mentor for Demko as they play similar styles. I think Schneider just had an off-year because he tried too hard to come back from injuries. I'll be willing to do one of the following:

• Louie Eriksson + Nilsson + our third round pick for Schneider (assuming Louie agrees of course; we trade Markstrom at some point)
  • Ben Hutton + Nilsson + our second round pick for Schneider + their first-rounder (we trade Markstrom at some point)
  • Markstrom + our second round pick for Schneider + their first rounder

4 years at 6 million for a goalie who is 32 and is coming off a terrible year? If we are looking at this route, I'd rather look at Holtby if they are going with Grubauer. Holtby is younger and only 2 years left on his contract, which suits Demko's timeline better. We could potentially get a similar deal if not better because Washington might want to dump his cap if they would like to re-sign Carlson. They could be interested in taking back Markstrom as insurance to Grubauer. Of course this is only if the Canucks are not one of the 7 teams on his no trade list.

4 hours ago, Baer. said:

Kikaid has been playing well. Schneider can't stay healthy. Schneider makes 6M. NJD Fans reacting saying move Schneider. Nothing new.

Who knows?  Nothing against Keith but maybe the coach decides to try Schneider in Game 3 if Game 2 doesn't go well either (can't really fault Keith for the goals he gave up in Game 1), and if Cory steals the show then all the fans will come crawling back and this would all be moot.

Then again, if he does need a fresh start I would be down to try and get him, offer one of our Swedes in net as part of a package for a potential #1.  

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I want him back as I think he is an upgrade over Markstrom. Markstrom is a bit too tightly-wounded for my taste of goaltenders, and I think Schneider would be a better mentor for Demko as they play similar styles. I think Schneider just had an off-year because he tried too hard to come back from injuries. I'll be willing to do one of the following:

• Louie Eriksson + Nilsson + our third round pick for Schneider (assuming Louie agrees of course; we trade Markstrom at some point)
  • Ben Hutton + Nilsson + our second round pick for Schneider + their first-rounder (we trade Markstrom at some point)
  • Markstrom + our second round pick for Schneider + their first rounder

Your 2nd and 3rd trade seems to make Schenider have NEGATIVE value. Does he have negative value???

There is no way the devils are trading Schneider back the Canucks. Horvat has become a solid 2nd C. Even though it wasn't this management that made that deal, it would still reflect badly on them.

Devils should hold onto Schneider. They have a ton of cap space, and the sample size of Kinkaid is simply too small to know if he's simply on a hot streak.

9 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

So Cory Schneider has fallen out of favour in Jersey. We know what he IS capable of but I'm sure no one would take a chance on his salary. If Jersey would eat 2-3 mil per season of it, would he be welcomed back here? I think one of the goalies has to go, here. They were never good enough to keep the team in games often enough. Personally, I don't wanna see Demko make the team yet. Goalies take alot of time to develop and become stellar. How long did it take Schneids to make the jump. 7 years AFTER being drafted. Maybe Demko is better, but even Markstrom was stellar in the AHL and he still can't completely seem to find his footing. Maybe Jersey would be interested in a goalie swap, here? 

Markstrom is not a good example,he just plain sucks. He sucked in Florida as well, it is well they traded him. There are tons of young starters out there, and they usually start their NHL careers by the age of 23-24. Demko is 22, so... 

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

4 years at 6 million for a goalie who is 32 and is coming off a terrible year? If we are looking at this route, I'd rather look at Holtby if they are going with Grubauer. Holtby is younger and only 2 years left on his contract, which suits Demko's timeline better. We could potentially get a similar deal if not better because Washington might want to dump his cap if they would like to re-sign Carlson. They could be interested in taking back Markstrom as insurance to Grubauer. Of course this is only if the Canucks are not one of the 7 teams on his no trade list.

Exactly.

The thing about it is, Schneider and Holtby have ntcs. You have to think of a deal or a place they ould waive too. Even if we ofer Boeser, Horvat, and Juolevi for Holtby, he doesn't waive to come here. Schenider however, would likely waive to go anywhere he can be a starter next season, like the Canucks. Eriksson would also waive to get away from a bottom feeding team and go to a Playoff calibre team. New Jersey is in a special spot. They have a young stuf goalie they can go with next season and need to shift Scheiders cap to a team need, like having NHL calibre middle 6 forwards. However, the thing is, they're in a unique spot where they need to add pieces to get better, but top free agents will likely go elsewhere, so their only option is trade. Bringing in Eriksson, and still having their cap space makes them a little more attractive to free agents. Both players get what they want so they waive, both teams simply shift cap to a needed position. 

We're not getting any top teir goalie to waive to come here. The best we will get is a former all star who got benched for a younger stud. And New Jersey isn't going to make some huge splash likely, so they get a former impact player who can actually be of use, rather than Scheids on the bench.

Scheider for Eriksson is such a fair trade in so many ways. Maybe we had a small piece on top to make it more appealing, but with the risk we are taking, with goaltending being a much more volitile position for 4 years, we're the one really taking a risk. Eriksson will be a 30 point player + with them at worst. At worst, sncheids doesn't bounce back and we're stuck. It's just sooooo fair

11 hours ago, Pears said:

When do you guys think DiPietro will be ready?

Assuming he ends up an NHL goaltender. Best case scenario? Another 3 years before getting a game or two. That’s the best case scenario. Realistically though, another 5 years.

12 minutes ago, Xbox said:

The goalie I regret trading is Roberto Luongo. To this day I don't understand why we traded him.

We had to.  The environment Gillis had created was far too toxic for him to want to be here and he wanted out.

Before everything turned sour, I would have been fine with riding out his contract.  The cap hit was reasonable then, and it's a great price by today's standards. 

If you consider the recapture penalty and everything, Gillis couldn't have built a worse scenario for this team if he tried.

Anyway, as far as this scenario goes, I would be happy to have Schneider back on this team, but there are two risks:
1) Is he damaged goods now?  His first seasons in New Jersey were very, very good, but the last couple have been very average at best.  Did an injury he sustain limit his ability/mobility?

2) We can absolutely take on his salary for a couple of years at least, but at some point we are going to have to re-up the expiring elc's and we WILL need the cap room.  Schneider's contract runs well into this time frame, so if we did acquire him, it makes it far more difficult to keep our now-developed team intact.  We might be better off focused on Demko, who might still be making a reasonable salary even after his current contract expires.  (Depends how lights-out he plays I guess in the coming couple of years)

On the plus side of getting Schneider, Demko would be a pretty strong trading piece if we so chose.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Assuming he ends up an NHL goaltender. Best case scenario? Another 3 years before getting a game or two. That’s the best case scenario. Realistically though, another 5 years.

Hmmm. I’d consider packaging him for Schneider then. Schneider’s contract runs until about the time Demko will be ready to take over so it could work out perfectly. 

28 minutes ago, Xbox said:

The goalie I regret trading is Roberto Luongo. To this day I don't understand why we traded him.

He was traded because John Tortorella made a monumental error in starting the Taco Lover in the Heritage Classic. Luongo was amped about playing the game, and could have won it for the team, but Tortorella stupidly went with Lack instead, slapping Luongo in the face across the NHL and Canada. He demanded to get the hell out of Tort's carnival of whimsy and despair.

That was the final straw. Before that had occurred Luongo had resigned himself to staying in Vancouver. His wife had moved herself and their children to Vancouver after staying in Florida for the majority of his time here.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

We had to.  The environment Gillis had created was far too toxic for him to want to be here and he wanted out.

Before everything turned sour, I would have been fine with riding out his contract.  The cap hit was reasonable then, and it's a great price by today's standards. 

If you consider the recapture penalty and everything, Gillis couldn't have built a worse scenario for this team if he tried.

Anyway, as far as this scenario goes, I would be happy to have Schneider back on this team, but there are two risks:
1) Is he damaged goods now?  His first seasons in New Jersey were very, very good, but the last couple have been very average at best.  Did an injury he sustain limit his ability/mobility?

2) We can absolutely take on his salary for a couple of years at least, but at some point we are going to have to re-up the expiring elc's and we WILL need the cap room.  Schneider's contract runs well into this time frame, so if we did acquire him, it makes it far more difficult to keep our now-developed team intact.  We might be better off focused on Demko, who might still be making a reasonable salary even after his current contract expires.  (Depends how lights-out he plays I guess in the coming couple of years)

On the plus side of getting Schneider, Demko would be a pretty strong trading piece if we so chose.

53 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He was traded because John Tortorella made a monumental error in starting the Taco Lover in the Heritage Classic. Luongo was amped about playing the game, and could have won it for the team, but Tortorella stupidly went with Lack instead, slapping Luongo in the face across the NHL and Canada. He demanded to get the hell out of Tort's carnival of whimsy and despair.

That was the final straw. Before that had occurred Luongo had resigned himself to staying in Vancouver. His wife had moved herself and their children to Vancouver after staying in Florida for the majority of his time here.

I figured this was the reason. Tortorella works wonders for every other team he goes to but made our team much worse and costed us the best goalie we've ever had. I'm still bitter about the heritage classic. I personally was never a Lack fan.

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

I figured this was the reason. Tortorella works wonders for every other team he goes to but made our team much worse and costed us the best goalie we've ever had. I'm still bitter about the heritage classic. I personally was never a Lack fan.

It was a horrible choice to make. For what Luongo did for the team, he should have been given the crease for that game. No question.

Tortorella is a pretty good coach, but in Vancouver he made some irretrievably stupid choices. I think that the choice to start Lack coupled with trying to kill Hartley sealed his fate. 

Archived