The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Missed Opportunity: The Third Sedin

zombieksa

Hey everyone, 

So for us Canuck fans, it is that time of year where discussions change to draft picks, free agents, next years roster, and which team we would hate least to win the Stanley cup this year. Unlike other years where we did not make it to the playoffs, we had additional big news coming out of April with the Sedin twins retiring. With the emotional final games now completed, hundreds of articles been written, and the tears slowly becoming less frequent, discussions about Hank and Danny have dwindled in the last few weeks. Now that the pain has subsided a little bit I was hoping to open up a new discussion regarding pipe dreams you have had over the course of their careers for a line mate.

So my question to you is that: What active player(s) during the Sedins' careers do you wish we would have had a chance to see the twins have as a line mate? (Active 2000-2001 season to 2017-2018 season, yes we all would have loved to see a young Bure on a line with them).

Secondly, do you think there is a reason this would have been a dream linemate? 

This is an open discussion so please discuss your favourite pipe dream, a top 5 wish list, a pipe dream 2nd line to play behind them, PP setup, etc.)

• zombieksa changed the title to [Discussion] Missed Opportunity: The Third Sedin

2003 draft, round 2, Vancouver drafts David Backes instead of Marc-Andre Bernier.

2007 draft, round 2, Vancouver drafts Wayne Simmonds instead of Taylor Ellington. 

Man, looking through those drafts from 2001-2007 there were only like 4 good picks.

A young Rick Nash would have been something...big body infront of the net bouncing pucks off various parts of his body into the net.   

St.Louis early would have been something too.  Little water bug that could, tough as nails, fast enough to get back when the lines in trouble and one the most skilled guys of his generation. 

Alex Burrows.

But really, the twins worked best with players who were willing to grind it out and battle in the boards and in the corners. Any guy like that would've been fine.

1 hour ago, TheRick said:

Missed out on Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round of the Sedin draft. That could have been the Sedin triplet right there.

Ah! I agree. Henrik Zetterberg would have been the best winger.

Sedins need a smart player and that's why Burr was so successful. Zetterberg is at least as smart of a player as Burr, with way more skill and equal amount of tenacity (forechecking, defending, etc).

There is no such thing as the Third Sedin.  The Sedins passed to themselves far more than they passed to anyone else on the ice with them.  Kind of like Kobe Bryant, who shot every basketball he ever touched, the Sedins only pass to each other.  That's why no 3rd-member of their line ever held on for the long-haul.  They are great people off the ice, but on the ice, they are amongst the most selfish players in history.  To be the Third Sedin, you'd need the Sedins to pass to you as much as they pass to each other.  Not.  Gonna.  Happen.

I would have loved to see them play with Loui Erikkson! They played great together for Sweden. I think that would have been the ultimate line, and possibly could have postponed the Sedins’ retirement plans.

38 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I would have loved to see them play with Loui Erikkson! They played great together for Sweden. I think that would have been the ultimate line, and possibly could have postponed the Sedins’ retirement plans.

Exactly who I was thinking...

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

2003 draft, round 2, Vancouver drafts David Backes instead of Marc-Andre Bernier.

2007 draft, round 2, Vancouver drafts Wayne Simmonds instead of Taylor Ellington. 

Man, looking through those drafts from 2001-2007 there were only like 4 good picks.

Simmonds is a far more talented Burrows, that would have been nasty. :o 

Archived