The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Hughes Tanev pairing OP

Juolevi Stecher

I can only think Stecher watching Hughes play will make Stecher a much better player.

Edited by cory40
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I don't think I've ever seen our fan base be so unanimously happy with a draft pick.  Is this real life?

16 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Woo. We want Woo with 37

34 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I am very excited with the Quinn Hughes ... 

Benning mentioned in interview on Sportsnet 650 that Hughes has mention he might be interested in turning pro and not going back to college in the fall...

Lots of people think he could hum into the NHL with his great skating and speed..He played with men on USA

team that won Bronze and didn't look out of place..

I predict Vancouver sign him soon and he makes the Canucks team this season..

He turns 19 in October....Will be very interesting to follow this great pick...

I think we will have a very good pick at #37 tomorrow...

Some good prospects passed over....Very excited for the # 37th pick it will be a Centre or D man..

I say it will be another D man...

Jett Woo D, 6'0, 205

Jared McIsaac 6'1, 194  D ( Josh Manson type)

Mattias Samuelsson 6'3, 205 D

I think it is true that this is strongest consensus I have seen for a Benning pick. Obviously there were doubts about whether Virtanen was the right pick, and McCann made it sound like he not that happy being selected by Vancouver. Boeser was not well-known in the market and, as he was a low first round pick, there were a lot of other contenders. Juolevi was another pick that generated a lot of disagreement right away, and Pettersson was kind of surprise when most people were expecting Glass.

But with Hughes that was a pretty strong consensus that he was best D after Dahlin this year and that he would go before #7. It wasn't unanimous, but I think almost everyone was pleasantly surprised that he was available at #7 and was, I think, top of most boards at that point.

As for the second round, my ranking of Ds still available goes like this.

1. Wilde (big, strong, RHD, all-around game, expected by many to go in the mid-1st round. I expect Benning to say "why has no one taken Wilde yet".)

2. Samuelsson (also good size and strength and all-around game)

3. McIsaac

4. Tychonick

5. Woo

Would be delighted with the first two, happy with the second two, and satisfied with Woo.

But it would not surprise me to see Benning go with a center at 37.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

I think it is true that this is strongest consensus I have seen for a Benning pick. Obviously there were doubts about whether Virtanen was the right pick, and McCann made it sound like he not that happy being selected by Vancouver. Boeser was not well-known in the market and, as he was a low first round pick, there were a lot of other contenders. Juolevi was another pick that generated a lot of disagreement right away, and Pettersson was kind of surprise when most people were expecting Glass.

But with Hughes that was a pretty strong consensus that he was best D after Dahlin this year and that he would go before #7. It wasn't unanimous, but I think almost everyone was pleasantly surprised that he was available at #7 and was, I think, top of most boards at that point.

1. Wilde (big, strong, RHD, all-around game, expected by many to go in the mid-1st round. I expect Benning to say "why has no one taken Wilde yet".)

3. McIsaac

4. Tychonick

5. Woo

Would be delighted with the first two, happy with the second two, and satisfied with Woo.

Ya I get the feeling that Benning will grab a center as well.  If Mcleod is still there I could see Benning taking him.  I'd love to grab One of Wilde Samuelsson or McIsaac though.  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’ve now heard more than one hockey person compare Hughes to Bobby Orr in carrying the puck at speed and using his edges.  Orr was great in all directions, and super quick, and super fast, with the puck on his stick.  He was small and light when he started too.  I need my meds.  This is crazy.  :picard:

Hang on for the RIDE!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Hopefully at the very least he gets 10 games.

It doesn't work like that - particularly for college players. If he wants to go back for another year of NCAA hockey then he misses preseason altogether and can't sign a contract to play in any games. Even the summer camp he'll have to pay his own way.

That said, if he decides to sign, he could get some NHL games, but they aren't going to risk losing another D to waivers or something similar just to let him play a few NHL games. The 9 game rule means nothing if he's signed a contract though as he wouldn't be going back to junior to have his contract slide. It would be in effect in the NHL or the AHL.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

I don't think I've ever seen our fan base be so unanimously happy with a draft pick.  Is this real life?

I don't think I have ever been pumping a kids tires all season to actually end up drafting him. I'm stoked. If only Veleno dropped a few more spots. 

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

3. McIsaac

4. Tychonick

5. Woo

Trust is a lot higher now that we have some good picks under our belt.

Also, CDC is more educated than 3 & 4 years ago. People, CDC, the market, and not just Vancouver have seen smaller players thrive, display skill, score, make plays. They have seen we do, in fact, need D and talent on D. Similarly, have seen guys like "I wont trade him for ten 1st round picks'' Luke Schenn fail. Where small players like Pastrnak are killing it! Many of the old prejudices, except with Burke, stuck in his old school days, have been dispelled...

So people are much more open to the selections being made.

We can concentrate on speed and skill first & foremost!

• Upvote 1

Just now, hammertime said:

I don't think I have ever been pumping a kids tires all season to actually end up drafting him. I'm stoked. If only Veleno dropped a few more spots. 

Ya I'm giddy as well.  I watched a Michigan game this year against Gaudette and the Huskies before I had done any real research of Hughes and at the time wasn't really into drafting such a small defenseman, I assumed he was just another small offensive defenseman that wows with dangles but doesn't do any of the little things and doesn't really defend well so I was looking to confirm my bias against him.  Boy was I wrong and changed my tune after watching that, the guy is truly elite in his defensive work to go along with his offensive game.  He'll get overwhelmed sometimes down low I'm sure like we occasionally see happen to Stecher but his ability to defend in the open ice will more than make up for a few of his size shortcomings. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

3. McIsaac

4. Tychonick

5. Woo

I agree 100%, there are 8 really good picks available and we will get another very very good pick..

I say a D man....

So excited to see Hughes make Canucks next year...

25 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

He put on a lot of muscle last off season. It seemed to me that he lost a step and it took most of the season for him to get on track. Thought Stecher was great the last couple months. 

No doubt Troy is in great shape, he even lapped Boucher in a bag skate ( fill in Boucher bashing comments here ) last preseason. Alex Biega a bit taller weighs in at a solid 193 with a stocky look, Troy shorter should have a similar appearance - I don't see it, 175lbs. tops.