The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 1/19/2020 at 9:59 AM, Legendary10 said:

Green said himself, with Quinn's effortless skating technique, he's able to skate miles without really exhausting himself.  I believe he has a lot more stored reserves than Petterson or Brock so he should be fine as the season veers towards the playoff season.

Honestly, he reminds me of Scott Niedermayer.  Scott was such a smooth and effortless skater while also incredibly smart positionally in the defensive end. 

Quinn's defensive game is underrated IMO.  His ability to read plays and get himself into defensive position makes up for any lack of size he has back there.

• Canucks Regular
  •  
  • cory40
  • Members
  • 2,444 posts

I never expected Quinn to fall in the draft. And anyone who has ridiculed me for saying Rasmus Dhalin is not the best defensman in this draft. I am looking forward to seeing this kid prove me right.

canuktravella, Alexandre, VegasCanuck and 1 other reacted to this

TOOK ALOT OF HEAT FOR COMMENTS like these but man it appears I might be right!

On 12/9/2019 at 1:52 PM, gurn said:

Yes.

I like Quinn and it seems he is better than I thought, but I would have taken Dahlin over him.

give it another two years and you will be saying Dahlin who!

Edited by cory40
  • Wat 1

27 minutes ago, gurn said:

I doubt it.

Dahlin will be a very good D man.  Huggy Bear is a phenom.  I agree with you that JB would have selected Dahlin, but now he’s extremely happy (as are all Canuck’s fans) that we have Hughes.  We got lucky in back to back drafts to get the two franchise players needed to win Cups:  elite number one center and D man.  

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin will be a very good D man.  Huggy Bear is a phenom.  I agree with you that JB would have selected Dahlin, but now he’s extremely happy (as are all Canuck’s fans) that we have Hughes.  We got lucky in back to back drafts to get the two franchise players needed to win Cups:  elite number one center and D man.  

Homerism aside Dahlin will likely be a better player than Hughes. 

That said Hughes may end up being the best D man the Canucks have ever had.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/13/2020 at 7:50 AM, -AJ- said:

Worth noting that Makar has 24 in 37 games and is on pace to do it in 46 games, so if he keeps up his pace, he'll beat Hughes :angry:.

Almost feels a bit like Crosby and Ovechkin of 2005-06 (not quite) with two insane offensive defensemen having unbelievable rookie years in the same season.

Keep in mind, Makar is basically full year older (October 1998 birthdate) than Quinn Hughes (October 1999 birthdate) and have and extra year of development because of the age different. They broke into the league at the same time, and they are the front runners of this year’s Calder Trophy. Very similar to the Crosby and Ovechkin situation, instead these 2 are defenceman. Ovie won the Calder that season, being the older player and have more development time than Sid, but we all know that Sid is the better overall player. I see Makar winning the Calder this year, but won’t rule out the idea that Quinn might be the better player (though it is hard separate which of these 2 are better).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I thinks it’s 50/50 right now. What proof do you have to say anything otherwise?

Have you checked the draft lists from prior to that draft? If you can find more than one that ranks Hughes above Dahlin I'd be amazed.

Dahlin was touted as the best D man prospect in decades.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Have you checked the draft lists from prior to that draft? If you can find more than one that ranks Hughes above Dahlin I'd be amazed.

Agreed.  Dahlin is a very different player than Hughes, who is an exceptional player as well.

Dahlin is likely the best dman talent that has come out of Sweden in decade or more.  My guad...he was playing in the top adult Swedish league at 16yrs and putting up .5 goals per game.  Incredibly, as good as the kid is offensively, he is also an exceptional defensive player.

He has all the skills and no obvious weakness and along with his superior talents, he is a big boy already and will become a physically dominant adult hockey player.

This is the type of dman that will win the Norris Trophy several times throughout his career.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I thinks it’s 50/50 right now. What proof do you have to say anything otherwise?

3 hours ago, gurn said:

More fuel to this particular fire :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gurn said:

Homerism aside Dahlin will likely be a better player than Hughes. 

That said Hughes may end up being the best D man the Canucks have ever had.

Crawl back under your bridge and enjoy the snow and freezing temperatures in 

Toronto.  The only people who feel Dahlin is now, or ever will be, the phenom 

Quinn Hughes is never played and truly understand the game. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gurn said:

At the draft yes Dahlin was the higher ranked player over Hughes.  Hughes is now the far better player and is a phenom.  Dahlin is a very good player, but not the phenom Huggy Bear.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Agreed.  Dahlin is a very different player than Hughes, who is an exceptional player as well.

Dahlin is likely the best dman talent that has come out of Sweden in decade or more.  My guad...he was playing in the top adult Swedish league at 16yrs and putting up .5 goals per game.  Incredibly, as good as the kid is offensively, he is also an exceptional defensive player.

He has all the skills and no obvious weakness and along with his superior talents, he is a big boy already and will become a physically dominant adult hockey player.

This is the type of dman that will win the Norris Trophy several times throughout his career.

Hedmann is way better than Dahlin.  Hughes is way better than Dahlin.  It’s not even close. 

Just now, higgyfan said:

Homer is as homer does.  Go find a box of chocolates and relax.

Not being a homer.  This is pretty obvious to those who both played and know the game.  If Dahlin was the phenom Hughes is, or great like Hedmann, then the Sabres would be a much more successful team.  Dahlin is a good player, but is more the level of young Edler.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not being a homer.  This is pretty obvious to those who both played and know the game.  If Dahlin was the phenom Hughes is, or great like Hedmann, then the Sabres would be a much more successful team.  Dahlin is a good player, but is more the level of young Edler.  

Yes, Alf...you are a homer and you show it every day.:rolleyes:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, gurn said:

Why are you talking about predraft notes when they have both demonstrated what they can do in the NHL and are significant contributors on their professional clubs? Nolan Patrick was also supposed to be a stud, how is he doing? Would you say he’s better than Pettersson? That’s what the predraft rankings would suggest. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1