The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

What Vancouver did in 08-13 is not relevant to the Comets now. 

Ugh, I agree but that wasn't the point.  TB picking high/well during that time certainly helped Syracuse as far as maintaining a "winning culture" historically among other things.  You can disagree with that too. Anyway, you're ducking the point and it's become boring.  Game over.

10 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Ugh, I agree but that wasn't the point.  TB picking high/well during that time certainly helped Syracuse as far as maintaining a "winning culture" historically among other things.  You can disagree with that too. Anyway, you're ducking the point and it's become boring.  Game over.

Well if the Canucks can not draft the players, then they should be going out and signing players to fill those rolls. 

Not having playmaking centers for their AHL team has nothing to do with drafting ..... It's complete incompetence pure and simple.... And it's been 3 seasons now.... Totally inexcusable.......

I dunno, yeah the team sux, but there are some positives.  I'm happy with both Olli and Zack's progression.  Then there's Demko.  Ok, there have also been some disappointments with Dahlen leading the pack, followed by Lind and Gadjo.  Did I expect them to be better this year?  Yeah, but maybe that was naivety and not giving the AHL the respect it deserves.  

If three of our top 6 prospects develop well down on the farm and become meaningful regulars on the big club, I'm ok with that.

23 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

If they made tickets affordable in a way that they can't do at Rogers arena, they would sell plenty of tickets. Then when they call some one up, they wouldn't have to take cross continent flights and show up 3 time zones away.

It works in Toronto and Winnipeg, so I don't see the difference. Great joke about the turkey burger though. I'm not sure you're preparing those correctly.

I think you are missing context if you are implying the Moose and the Marlies are playing like the Comets have been for the last couple+ seasons. This market just does not respond well to failure - in a word they are self-entitled.

In Utica their hockey team is a big part of their community, you need to try to grip that - like a turkey burger.:P

4 hours ago, Connor comet said:

Well if the Canucks can not draft the players, then they should be going out and signing players to fill those rolls. 

Not having playmaking centers for their AHL team has nothing to do with drafting ..... It's complete incompetence pure and simple.... And it's been 3 seasons now.... Totally inexcusable.......

Actually, it has everything to do with Gaudette and Petey stepping into the NHL right away. 

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Actually, it has everything to do with Gaudette and Petey stepping into the NHL right away. 

I agree... But most fans already assumed those two were going to be with the Canucks most or all of this season which makes the Canucks lack of obtaining centers for Utica even more bizarre........

Just. An extremely weird way to bring along all those young wingers in Utica..

We are now used to the incompetence from managment.... And apparently Canucks fans are too... 

Idk who they are going to dress for tonight's game, but it looks like 8-9 defenseman will have to dress....

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

With Demko back tonight and with Gaudette most likely returning soon I think it will turn around soon for Utica. The young guys like Dahlen, Juolevi, Macewan will keep improving and having Gaudette and Kero down the middle will stabilize the Center group. Heres hoping because they have passionate and amazing fans there.

• Like 1

The Canucks‘ goaltending picture is back to one of 100 per cent health.

Anders Nilsson, out for the past two-plus weeks with a broken hand, has been cleared by the team’s medical staff to play and will dress as the team’s backup goalie on Wednesday against the Anaheim Ducks at the Honda Center.

The team confirmed after practice that veteran goalie Richard Bachman has been re-assigned to the Utica Comets, the Canucks’ American Hockey League affiliate, to make room on the 23-man NHL roster for Nilsson.

Bachman made a solitary start for the Canucks, last Thursday in Minnesota against the Wild, a 6-2 shellacking that didn’t see him get much defensive help.

Edited by TomatoPieFan
updated

By Ben Birnell

Posted at 4:38 PM

UTICA -- There was some change to the Utica Comets goaltending picture Wednesday.

The biggest news is that Thatcher Demko is expected to make his first start of the season Wednesday for the Comets, who have struggled recently.

Demko, the 22-year-old prized goaltending prospect, had been out for nearly the last two months as he dealt with a concussion he suffered after being hit in the mask and head by a shot Sept. 23 while with the parent Vancouver Canucks.

Demko, who had been in Utica while recovering from the injury since early October, practiced in full this week with the team ahead of the start with the Comets. Demko, who had been part of other recent practices, was officially assigned to the Comets on Tuesday.

With Demko back, Connor LaCouvee was assigned back to the Maine Mariners, the ECHL team announced Wednesday. LaCouvee, who had been the back up to Ivan Kulbakov, made one start and appeared in three games for the Comets. LaCouvee made first AHL start last Saturday, allowing five goals on 28 shots in a loss to Hartford. In total, LaCouvee had a 2.87 goals-against average and a .877 save percentage with Utica.

Also Wednesday, the Canucks announced veteran Richard Bachman had been assigned back to the Comets after Anders Nilsson returned from a broken hand.

Bachman, who had been with Vancouver the last three weeks, played one game for the Canucks and took the loss in a 6-2 setback last Thursday against the Minnesota Wild. It was part of a rough start for Bachman, who is 1-4 with a 4.23 goals-against average this season.

With Kulbakov – who has been carrying the load for the Comets in the absence of Bachman and Demko – Utica has three goaltenders. It is rare for teams to carry that many goaltenders at one time and it has been expected Kulbakov will spend time with ECHL Kalamazoo.

Comets strike first with a highlight play from Carcone and now down 1-2 after 2nd including giving up league leading 7th shorthanded goal. Comets had a few quality attempts but can't hit the back of the net. 9-18 Shots but Laval owns a crazy stat as league leading fewest shots allowed per game.

Edited by TomatoPieFan
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, TomatoPieFan said:

Comets strike first with a highlight play from Carcone and now down 1-2 after 2nd including giving up league leading 7th shorthanded goal. Comets had a few quality attempts but can't hit the back of the net. 9-18 Shots but Laval owns a crazy stat as league leading fewest shots allowed per game.

They have a huge defence and big forwards that can skate, they have been outmuscling Utica for pucks a lot tonight.