The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Vs Rasmus Dahlin!

SuperJr

The pundits are already saying Quinn would be in the top 3 in a re-draft...with one saying he thinks in a year or 2 Quinn might prove to be the best player out of that draft...

Which would make him generational...as that is moniker given to Dahlin.

Sounds right to me...no-one controls the puck better and has more escapability than Quinn does right now...and he is improving week by week...! 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

The pundits are already saying Quinn would be in the top 3 in a re-draft...with one saying he thinks in a year or 2 Quinn might prove to be the best player out of that draft...

Sounds right to me...no-one controls the puck better and has more escapability than Quinn does right now...and he is improving week by week...! 

I think we have a couple of special players right now. The debate between Dahlin and Hughes will run for years, but its extremely possible that we got the best player out of that draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I saw that too but as of THIS MOMENT, I'm more inclined to say top 3 than top 2 right now, but absolutely in a couple years can move up to top 2. Generational maybe too soon to say, but if he can challenge for the Norris over an approximate period of 5 years then absolutely.

7 minutes ago, suitup said:

I saw that too but as of THIS MOMENT, I'm more inclined to say top 3 than top 2 right now, but absolutely in a couple years can move up to top 2. Generational maybe too soon to say, but if he can challenge for the Norris over an approximate period of 5 years then absolutely.

Svech is pretty good imo. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think we have a couple of special players right now. The debate between Dahlin and Hughes will run for years, but its extremely possible that we got the best player out of that draft.

for sure, the Petey and Hughes drafts are home runs. For me the Dahlin - Hughes thing will come down to if Dahlin uses his size advantage more or not. Hughes is too small to be a physical force and while Dahlin does hit, note sure he's much of a physical threat yet. 

Hughes is able to make so much room for himself with his skating and his passing is just so good offensively I think he's already tied or maybe surpassed Dahlin by a little bit. But as a complete d man the jury is still out, they are both too young to know who's going to emerge as the more complete player. 

• Like 1

in a re-draft Elias would go #1 in 2017

in a re-draft Hughes would go # 1-2 in 2018

in a re-draft Boesser would go #13 in 2015

imo we still need another top winger to make our 2nd line really dangerous every game, and we need a big, mobile, physical shut down d man than can play on the first pair.

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That wouldn’t make him generational.  
that would make him....... annual.  Lol.  
Best in the one year doesn’t make home the best of this generation.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

That wouldn’t make him generational.  
that would make him....... annual.  Lol.  
Best in the one year doesn’t make home the best of this generation.  

I think what del Fuego is saying is that Dahlin was heralded as being generational and if Quinn proves to be better, that should make him generational... or is it "foundational," maybe ask JB what he thinks...annual tho? what are you talking about? flowers? annuals or perennials???

https://www.thespruce.com/definition-of-annual-plants-2132403

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I think what del Fuego is saying is that Dahlin was heralded as being generational and if Quinn proves to be better, that should make him generational... or is it "foundational," maybe ask JB what he thinks...annual tho? what are you talking about? flowers? annuals or perennials???

https://www.thespruce.com/definition-of-annual-plants-2132403

I was actually thinking of flowers when writing that.  Hahah

i just think the term generational and even elite are so dumb and over used.    

Canucks don’t have anything close to a generational player, and arguably never have.    Bure would be the closest to ‘best player of his generation’.   

Edited by drummerboy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So 2018.  It's not Hughes vs Dahlin, Dahlin isn't even dialed into the conversation for best young defensive phenom anymore.  

Its Hughes vs Makar now.  Hughes was the underdog then and now. Let the hype train anoint it's latest 'generational talent' while Quinn racks up the points and almost single handedly turns around the worst defensive core last year into a respectable one as a rookie while adding his name lists only the truly great d men to ever play get on.  

• Wat 1

I would still take Dahlin over Hughes at this point for that draft, but Hughes has closed the gap.

Dahlin got 44 points as an 18 year old dman at the NHL level. He was on pace for 56 as a 19 year old before being concussed. Hughes on pace for 67 points as a 20 year old is impressive in its own right, but Dahlin could conceivably be there or more at the same age. Dahlin has the size advantage and could become an all round minute munching dman whereas Hughes likely is a solid offensive beast, but will need someone else to take on the harder minutes like PK.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dahlin is 6 months younger than Hughes 

He scored 9 goals 44 Pts as an 18 yr old last year.

He's also 6'3 200lbs as a 19 yr old.

He's on LTIR last cpl weeks. That's why ppl haven't been hearing his name lately.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

He's on LTIR last cpl weeks. That's why ppl haven't been hearing his name lately.

And he is effective in both ends of the rink. 

Too early to count chicks still, regardless.

Offensive Dmen can disappoint. 

Greene

Campbell

Ghost 

15 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Guddy is 6'5" and 220.  

Quinn Hughes is proving that he is clearly a more valuable player to us than Dahlin is to the Sabres.  I predicted at the start of the season that Quinn will score 60 + points this season, and that destroys what Dahlin did.  Plus, Hughes is more aware defensively.  I'm very happy we fell in that draft, and got Hughes.  

• Upvote 1