The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Vs Rasmus Dahlin!

SuperJr

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

And he is effective in both ends of the rink. 

Too early to count chicks still, regardless.

Offensive Dmen can disappoint. 

Greene

Campbell

Ghost 

Green (I assume you mean Mike Green) and Campbell have had very respectable careers as they were able to restructure their games later into their career. Wouldn't call them disappointments. Ghost has dropped off a cliff though.

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2019 at 9:00 PM, WHL rocks said:

Dahlin is 6 months younger than Hughes 

He scored 9 goals 44 Pts as an 18 yr old last year.

He's also 6'3 200lbs as a 19 yr old.

He's on LTIR last cpl weeks. That's why ppl haven't been hearing his name lately.

Yes, all true.  

Watch a few videos if Dahlins play without the puck (something that everyone should do when evaluating players especially D men) and compare that with Hughes play without the puck.  Then factor their rookie points production.  

It's not like Dahlin isn't getting his playing time (when healthy) and Buffalo can't claim to have less supporting talent to Vancouver either and Dahlin gets PP time.  

So they are in very competitive situations with really comparable circumstances at almost the same age.   

Hughes is about 0.4ppg more than Dahlin in his rookie season ATM.  IMO the advanced stats will also show Hughes to be a more effective player at breakouts, possession, corsi....   just dont have the time to look.  

This isn't definitive, but currently indications point to Hughes being the superior defender.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m impress with Quinn how easy he makes everything look. His Defending is solid his lack of size seem to not be an issue.

It’ll be a very interesting NHL career battle over the next decade Quinn vs Dahlin vs Makar 

its like the Crosby vs OV war, but a three way battle.

Good thread it’ll be a fun to see how it all plays out. Im glad we got a player of Mighty Quinns caliber to have this Battle. All 3 guys are crazy good.

• Upvote 1

Ultimately I think Dahlin is gonna become a lot more valuable and complete of a defenseman. 30 minute playoff type defenseman. 50+ point Norris caliber.

That size, skating and skill set toppled with amazing IQ. He is probably the closest thing to the next Lidstrom as we are going to get in this league.

He's gonna be a beauty to watch. I am happy with Hughes though.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, SuperJr said:

So far, Quinn have out performed and had a bigger impact in his rookie season then Dahlin. Just sayjng...

totally agree, Rasmus has more of the "package" at first glance and pass the eye test with his size but HELLLLLOOOOOO, Hughes is absolutely superior in the 2 most important things in hockey:

1. skating

2. Hockey IQ

In a re-draft Hughes goes no 1. close, but clearly ahead of tkachul and svechnikov.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

totally agree, Rasmus has more of the "package" at first glance and pass the eye test with his size but HELLLLLOOOOOO, Hughes is absolutely superior in the 2 most important things in hockey:

1. skating

2. Hockey IQ

In a re-draft Hughes goes no 1. close, but clearly ahead of tkachul and svechnikov.

It’s arguable we got the two most impactful players in the 2017 and 2018 drafts.  Hughes is a phenom.  It’s not even close between him and Dahlin.  To me Dahlin is like Edler. 

15 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

HUGHES GOES #1

in a re draft 

Although I think Hughes would easily be top 3 in a redraft, I don't think its quite that easy yet. Dahlin has an incredibly high ceiling as well and plays a very different style. Although I admit, its possible that we may have gotten the best player out of that draft, I think it will really be another couple of years before we really see which of these two guys is separating from the other in terms of overall league performance.

• Upvote 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Although I think Hughes would easily be top 3 in a redraft, I don't think its quite that easy yet. Dahlin has an incredibly high ceiling as well and plays a very different style. Although I admit, its possible that we may have gotten the best player out of that draft, I think it will really be another couple of years before we really see which of these two guys is separating from the other in terms of overall league performance.

Hughes has already separated himself from Dahlin.  

• Huggy Bear 1

In terms of pure talent, there is no comparison.  Huggy Bear has better speed, skill and vision than Dahlin.  The size factor is the biggest thing in Dahlin's favour, but honestly the way Quinn moves around the ice his size is not a concern.  He can run a power play with the best of them. 

Dahlin is still young and could turn into a Norris trophy winner, but so could Hughes.  Both will have great careers.  The fact is Benning picked Hughes at #7 and he's comparable to the #1 overall pick.  Same with Petey, he got him at #5 and he is without a doubt the best player in his draft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/10/2019 at 9:07 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Ultimately I think Dahlin is gonna become a lot more valuable and complete of a defenseman. 30 minute playoff type defenseman. 50+ point Norris caliber.

That size, skating and skill set toppled with amazing IQ. He is probably the closest thing to the next Lidstrom as we are going to get in this league.

He's gonna be a beauty to watch. I am happy with Hughes though.

I see Dahlin as a Pieterangelo or Hedman type d man.  Extremely valuable and well worth his draft position.  There is no reason not to expect him to become exactly as you predict.  

IMO the best d man since Potvin and Lidstrom is pretty high expectations.  He could still be incredibly good without reaching that level.  No more improbable than Tanti using the Orr comparison for Hughes.  

Whereas Hughes is a d man  more like a Niedemeyer, Housely or Leetch.  Hard to say who you would value more, Hedman or Niedemeyer, Leetch or Pieterangelo?

Take them both, is that an option?  

The lists that Hughes is getting added too include names like Bourque and Lidstrom on them.  That's impressive and at this point Hughes is statistically ahead of Dahlin as a rookie.  

It isn't that Dahlin won't be the guy, it's that Hughes has forced himself into the conversation.  

Is Dahlin any better than Ekblad, who also went number one, and played at 18?  Has Dahlin improved this year from his first?  Maybe Dahlin is just what he is, and that’s a really solid D man just like Ekblad?  Hughes, is clearly the more impactful player though.  To argue otherwise is disingenuous. 

• Cheers 1