The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes Vs Rasmus Dahlin!

SuperJr

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Wonder what a Daigle vs. Pronger thread would've been like before either of them stepped on the ice. 

'Daigle is a tremendous talent, c'mon man there is a reason Ottawa picked him first overall.'  ::D

Looks like the Oilers borrowed the drafting model of the early 90s Sens lol 

Top 4 picks year after year, that never amounted to much.

92 - Yashin (#2)

93 - Daigle (#1)

94 - Bonk (#4) (he actually did well in the NHL)

95 - Berard (#1) (never played one game as a Sen)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looks like the Oilers borrowed the drafting model of the early 90s Sens lol 

Top 4 picks year after year, that never amounted to much.

92 - Yashin (#2)

93 - Daigle (#1)

94 - Bonk (#4) (he actually did well in the NHL)

95 - Berard (#1) (never played one game as a Sen)

i've never understood the reason for calling Yashin a bust.  He was a near point per game player for most of his career.  Sure it tailed off after his huge contract, but look at his stats from the Sens, they are very good.

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

i've never understood the reason for calling Yashin a bust.  He was a near point per game player for most of his career.  Sure it tailed off after his huge contract, but look at his stats from the Sens, they are very good.

He was a very skilled player, but had a falling out with the Sens.

Wikipedia

Off the ice, however, Yashin's time in Ottawa was tumultuous. Senators' management initially viewed Daigle, who had been selected first overall in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, as the franchise's cornerstone player. While they hesitated in giving Yashin a five-year, $4 million contract, they signed Daigle to one of the largest rookie contracts in history, and touted him over Yashin for the Calder Memorial Trophy at the conclusion of the 1993–94 season.[1] Several nasty contract disputes later developed between Yashin and the team, beginning when Yashin refused to honour his contract at the onset of the 1995–96 NHL season, unless the terms were renegotiated to make him the team's highest paid player. The holdout caused many Senators' fans to sour on him.

Yashin's relationship with the Ottawa Senators reached a new low after the 1998–99 season. Yashin refused to honour the final year of his contract and demanded a raise (he would have earned $3.6 million USD that year, compared to other star centerman like Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic who made $6–7 million).[4] When the Senators refused, he demanded a trade on the advice of his agent, Mark Gandler.[5] This was the third time Yashin demanded a new contract during his five years with the team. The Senators refused to trade Yashin, instead stripping him of his captaincy and handing it to Daniel Alfredsson. When Yashin still refused to report, the Senators suspended him for the rest of the 1999–2000 NHL season on 10 November, with the full support of the NHL.

It's more of a slight against the Sens for mismanaging their star player.

Hughes starts behind his net, skates on the rush over the blue line, a quick head man pass to Pettersson, Pettersson crosses the blue line taking the puck wide and makes a lazer cross ice feed to Boeser, who one times it home over the glove of the goalie who had no chance. That's all I have to say about that!

Other than the goalie is getting sunburn on his neck from all the red light.

Edited by Pete M
add
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2018-07-11 at 11:53 PM, N4ZZY said:

Is this seriously a question and debate? 

Dahlin without question is the better dman. I love Quinn, and I love the Canucks. But let's be real here. 

There's a reason why Dahlin is the #1 overall pick in a deep draft. Quinn will be very good, but Dahlin is borderline if not there already, elite. He is phenomenal. And he's going to win Rookie Of The Year. Buffalo's going to be a very good team because they've finally got a number one dman in their system. 

Comparing the two is ridiculous, cause, well, imo, there's no question who's the better player. Dahlin has a much better shot, stickhandles like there's no tomorrow, and his skating isn't bad at all. Hughes may have the slight edge, but what's that saying? They're both very good skaters. Dahlin at the end of the day, every single damn day. 

Where in this thread has people said Hughes will be better than Dahlin? I have yet to read that in this thread.

You can compare anything. You can compare a hot wheels car to a real one. One's tiny while the other is a lot bigger. Telling people what they can and can't compare is silly no matter how silly the comparison may be. You don't have to agree with it, but come on, even you just compared the two in your sentence. lol

I realise people get frustrated and don't like "over-hype" on these boards but people are excited. Why not let them be excited?  It's not like they are saying Hughes is better after all. They just want a comparison.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, gobi said:

I think Dahlin was hoping to be drafted by the Canucks so he could play with Petersson.  Maybe hopefully one day, Dahlin will come here as fa.

....Or....we discover that Hughes is providing the exact same thing as Dahlin would have for EP and BB....less the hitting maybe but also maybe ( in my opinion ) Quinn might have a higher hockey IQ and faster reflexes...for things like take-aways...and nutmegging a D. ,...then back-passing it right past him again....!

This year I think Dahlin will be better than Quinn...just due to the physical maturity and the positon (#1 D.) he will be put in by Buffalo.

Next year it will be fair to compare how they are doing....

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

Where in this thread has people said Hughes will be better than Dahlin? I have yet to read that in this thread.

You can compare anything. You can compare a hot wheels car to a real one. One's tiny while the other is a lot bigger. Telling people what they can and can't compare is silly no matter how silly the comparison may be. You don't have to agree with it, but come on, even you just compared the two in your sentence. lol

I realise people get frustrated and don't like "over-hype" on these boards but people are excited. Why not let them be excited?  It's not like they are saying Hughes is better after all. They just want a comparison.

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

In three years there will be no doubt that Quinn Hughes was BY FAR the best player in his draft.  Quinn is a phenom.  

On 2018-07-11 at 11:53 PM, N4ZZY said:

Is this seriously a question and debate? 

Dahlin without question is the better dman. I love Quinn, and I love the Canucks. But let's be real here. 

There's a reason why Dahlin is the #1 overall pick in a deep draft. Quinn will be very good, but Dahlin is borderline if not there already, elite. He is phenomenal. And he's going to win Rookie Of The Year. Buffalo's going to be a very good team because they've finally got a number one dman in their system. 

Comparing the two is ridiculous, cause, well, imo, there's no question who's the better player. Dahlin has a much better shot, stickhandles like there's no tomorrow, and his skating isn't bad at all. Hughes may have the slight edge, but what's that saying? They're both very good skaters. Dahlin at the end of the day, every single damn day. 

Hughes is better than Dahlin.  He’s far more dynamic a skater.  In fact Quinn’s skating is off the charts.  His puck skills a far superior too.  Oh, and he’s a better defender too.  I’m glad this thread is here, so we can repost those who doubted our great Quinn Hughes, and mock them.  :P

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Is there even one NHL scout that thinks Hughes is better than Dahlin? 

Edit: a pro scout...one that actually gets paid to work in the area full time

The big reason Dahlin is rated higher then Hughes is his size???????????????

If Hughes is 6'1, 190 he would of been #1 with the skating and skill he has..

Dahlin 6'1 190 has great skill, Skating and speed are not as good as Hughes but the size separates them going 1st overall in the draft....

No question if Quinn Hughes was 6'1 he would of been #1 Overall no question...

Hughes 5'10, 168 lbs,  Its all good we have a player that fans will be so excited to watch for 10-14 years..

See Hughes putting up 50 point season's in 2-3 years, so excited to watch this amazing skater dance around players and set up scoring chances... Go Canucks Go

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2018-07-12 at 4:43 PM, Tre Mac said:

Wonder what a Daigle vs. Pronger thread would've been like before either of them stepped on the ice. 

'Daigle is a tremendous talent, c'mon man there is a reason Ottawa picked him first overall.'  ::D

Good point.  Pronger himself joked about this from the beginning, he knew he was the better pick but was happy not to go to Ottawa, and didn't mind rubbing it in Daigles face as his career took of and Yashin became the go to guy (at less money, even though one of the three GMs they went through early on promised to fix that, which wasn't honoured later by the next GM).  Daigle was hyped heavily, the best player since Lindros etc and his contract became a big reason for GMs pushing a cap on rookies later.  

As for the OP, really?  Why not do a Sergechev or McAcoy vs OJ next....

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Is there even one NHL scout that thinks Hughes is better than Dahlin? 

Edit: a pro scout...one that actually gets paid to work in the area full time

Don't know, how many have you asked?   Thing is, you are comparing better as 17/18 year olds and it is not an exact science.   I think this is a bit of a silly thing to do (compare like this in terms of "better") but certainly professional scouts who are paid to evaluate amateur talent are, per your point, likely better judges than most but even they are human and when you are projecting something you are not always right.

For example, for the "better than" as you ask do you mean the same pro scouts who thought:

• Bobby Ryan was better than Anze Kopitar
  • Rick DiPeitro was better than Dany Heatley or Marian Gaborik
  • Rick Nash was better than Duncan Keith
  • Erik Johnson was better than Joanthan Toews or Nicklas Backstrom or Phil Kessel or Claude Giroux
  • Patrick Kane was better than Sam Gagner (ooops, they nailed that one) or Patrick White (oops, nevermind...screw 2007, it isn't helping me make a point)
  • RNH was better than Gabriel Landeskog or Mark Scheifele or Dougie Hamilton
  • Nail Yakupov was better than, well, do I really need to name another player in the first round?
  • Jonathan Drouin was better than Bo Horvat
  • Owen Nolan was better than Jaromir Jagr
  • Alexander Daigle was better than Chris Pronger or Paul Kariya 
  • Bryan Berard was better than Jerome Iginla

Anyway, you get the point.   All about projection.  Most certainly one has a higher projection right now but to say they will be better - takes a crystal ball and history shows those can be murky.