The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Daniel Sedin the most clutch goal-scorer in NHL history?

tas

IDK game 7 in Vancouver in the SCF would have been the ultimate time to clutch the F up and I saw no clutching. Brad Marchand sure clutched up. Listen I love the Sedins but they disappeared in that game and yes so did the rest of the team but if we are talking about clutch No the Sedins were many things but they were never clutch hitters or scorers or passers or anything. They turtled up and counted the clock down and collected their paycheck. I love them but we were NEVER winning a Stanley cup with those two. They just sucked under any light form of physical pressure. I repeat WE WERE NEVER EVER WINNING A CUP WITH THOSE TWO NOT EVER. If you don't like that than suck eggs.

9 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

IDK game 7 in Vancouver in the SCF would have been the ultimate time to clutch the F up and I saw no clutching. Brad Marchand sure clutched up. Listen I love the Sedins but they disappeared in that game and yes so did the rest of the team but if we are talking about clutch No the Sedins were many things but they were never clutch hitters or scorers or passers or anything. They turtled up and counted the clock down and collected their paycheck. I love them but we were NEVER winning a Stanley cup with those two. They just sucked under any light form of physical pressure. I repeat WE WERE NEVER EVER WINNING A CUP WITH THOSE TWO NOT EVER. If you don't like that than suck eggs.

I couldn't agree more. Most clutch...not a chance. Game winning goals against Edmonton is like me beating 4 year olds at sports.

On 2018-07-15 at 9:13 PM, Canadian Clay said:

If gwg goals as a percentage of total goals is an indicator of clutchness, then pouliot must be the most clutch player of all time. He has 5 goals in his career and they’re all game winners (no one else has ever scored gwg for their first 5 career goals). 

I guess you missed the part where he said the qualifier had to have 250 goals then. 

On 2018-07-16 at 6:33 PM, Shirotashi said:

There's plenty of blame to go around, what if Luongo didn't choke in Boston? What if the team scored more than 8 goals in 7 games? What if another line became a scoring threat opening some gates for the 1st line? What if Hamhuis didn't injure himself throwing a meaningless hipcheck? 

If you're going to chalk it up to the Sedin’s aren't clutch because they didn't score, you clearly have a fundamental lack of understanding of the game. 

What about “captain clutch” Kesler? Oh wait he only did that against Nashville. 

There’s a ton of blame for what happened in the finals and not all of it can be placed squarely on the shoulders of Daniel and Henrik. 

On 7/14/2018 at 11:10 AM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

No.

Game-winning goals are a stupid stat.  If you score the goal that puts your team up 4-0, and then the other team scores three goals, you get the GWG.  So, it is not a measure of 'clutchness' at all.  It would only be so if GWG's were only counted when the score was tied and the goal won your team the game.

The Sedins can't even hold a candle to the true clutch goal-scorers (Gretzky, Lemieux).  Heck, they aren't even close to our team's best (Bure).  When the Canucks absolutely needed a goal, Bure was the one to create one out of thin air, not Daniel Sedin.  If you want to go further, Daniel wasn't even the clutch scorer on his line (that probably goes to Burrows).

I disagree.

So many times throughout the years when the Canucks needed a goal it was the Twins. Playoff clutch goals? I agree, Burrows had a knack of OT winners. (and even big goals in the regular season). In the playoffs he has more 'big' goals than the Twins. No argument there. But overall throughout the time they played for us, its the Twins. Whether it was regular season where they absolutely carried this team offensively for a decade, or even playoff games scoring a big goal at a big time. (I can think of a ton from post Naslund years, 2010 against LA they were great, in the 2011 playoffs they absolutely dominated San Jose, even 2015 against Calgary as bad as the series was, it was Daniel Sedin who scored the winner in game 5 [2-1 win], and the opening goal in game 2 [4-1 win], even the game 1 winner against Dallas, exc.)

Its no wonder Daniel has the most GWG's in Canucks history easily, so many regular season games it was these 2 guys scoring the big goal and/or winning the game for our team. As far as clutch, from like 08-15/16 it was always the Twins coming up big, in the better years there was a great supporting cast that would chip in, but the constant was always the Twins. When you look back it was really the Twins & Luongo that carried those teams. Compared to any other contending/winning team, the wing depth was terrible basically the entire time, & the defense was mediocre/inconsistent. (aside from Hammer & Edler at their absolute best which was short lived)

Its honestly a testament to the Twins, that a team with wingers like Raymond, Higgins, Pyatt, Bernier, Booth, Hansen, Demitra (RIP), & last half year Sundin as key contributors had as much success as they did. Burrows was a great winger for us, Sammuelsson was great for his year and a half, but other than that the rest of it was very mediocre and paled in comparison to the other top teams of those areas.

Look at 2011 Boston: Marchand, Ryder, Recchi, Horton, Lucic. 

2010/13/15 Chicago: Ladd, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Hossa, Brouwer, Kane, Saad, Sharp, Bickell, exc.

2010 Philly: Carter, Briere, Hartnell, JVR, Gagne, Giroux.

2012/14 LA: Brown, Carter, Penner, Gaborik, Williams, Toffoli, Pearson

All those teams also had a #1 D. Or in some cases (Chicago) two. Vs the Canucks D of those years. 

Its a shame Luongo & the Twins didn't win the cup, but when you look back its a testament to them as hall of fame players that we had the success we did. Because the supporting cast just wasn't as good as other contending teams from that era. (aside from having Kesler at his peak those few years. And how well rounded the roster was in 2011 before injuries caused it to fall apart)

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

There's plenty of blame to go around, what if Luongo didn't choke in Boston? What if the team scored more than 8 goals in 7 games? What if another line became a scoring threat opening dome gates for the 1st line? What if Hamhuis didn't injure himself throwing a meaningless hipcheck? 

If you're going to chalk it up to the Sedin’s aren't clutch because they didn't score, you clearly have a fundamental lack of understanding of the game. 

What about “captain clutch” Kesler? Oh wait he only did that against Nashville. 

There’s a ton of blame for what happened in the finals and not all of it can be placed squarely on the shoulders of Daniel and Henrik. 

I pretty clearly state that the whole team disappeared in the playoffs. The whole team are not the top line of the Canucks the Sedins were, you need your top line to be the best line in the playoffs ESPECIALLY in game 7 of the SCF at home. The Sedins were no shows, they weren't clutch, they weren't hitting everything in sight, they weren't even all that dangerous, they literally said in an interview that they were going to play the game like every other game. They showed up and played it safe and went home.

24 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

I pretty clearly state that the whole team disappeared in the playoffs. The whole team are not the top line of the Canucks the Sedins were, you need your top line to be the best line in the playoffs ESPECIALLY in game 7 of the SCF at home. The Sedins were no shows, they weren't clutch, they weren't hitting everything in sight, they weren't even all that dangerous, they literally said in an interview that they were going to play the game like every other game. They showed up and played it safe and went home.

The entire team no showed in game 4 Luingo included so get off the god damn Sedin’s for that 4-0 is not the fault of 2 players give me a break...

9 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

In game 7 Daniel had 5 shots on goal, second to only Bieksa who had 8. Burrows had 3, Henrik had 3, and Kesler 2. Marchand and Recchi led all Bruins with 4 each. We out shot the bruins almost 2 to 1 in that game. The difference, as it was all series, was Thomas.

Now let me tell you what you can suck....

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

In game 7 Daniel had 5 shots on goal, second to only Bieksa who had 8. Burrows had 3, Henrik had 3, and Kesler 2. Marchand and Recchi led all Bruins with 4 each. We out shot the bruins almost 2 to 1 in that game. The difference, as it was all series, was Thomas.

Now let me tell you what you can suck....

This an only this is the biggest reason we didn't win.  Most shots against EVER and most saves against EVER in the history of the Stanley Cup Final.  How many goals did we score the entire series? Like 8?  Wasn't Luongo'a fault, without him no way we'd ever get that far.  We got way more PP opportunities than they did, didn't make a difference.  He Haseked us, plain and simple, if we played TB instead we would have won in 5.

14 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

A good example of the lack of "clutch" is shootouts. The Twins could not score if their life depended on it. Why was that? For two players who are labelled "elite" players why could they not score "one on one" with a goalie? 

Their vision on the ice and their passing(especially to each other) was out of this world, unfortunately, they lacked in other areas. Foot speed, toughness and the ability to "bury one" when the team needed it the most, was not in their box of tricks.

Their "gentlemanly" play during the playoffs I believe also hindered their success. They got pushed around so much it was downright embarrassing. 

I believe they would have been better suited to be a Kane to a Toews or a Bure to a Linden and not have to carry the burden of leadership while having to produce all the time as well.

I don't know, if we were down by a goal in game 7 of the SCF, with 1 minute to play in the 3rd period, would you put out Daniel or Trevor? B)

I've never felt that either Sedin was ever particularly "clutch", least of all in the playoffs.

Nevermind all the discussion about what went down in the 2011 SCF, what about all of the other times a Canucks team led by the Sedins made a playoff appearance and then made a usually sudden disappearance. Aside from 2011 where the Canucks had all of the advantages going in (and ended up an OT goal from blowing it in round 1) this team has never won more than 1 playoff round in a single year being led by them, and that was when they were in their prime. And personally, I cant recall losing a series and thinking 'wow, it's a shame we lost, but holy crap those Sedins sure made their presence known and gave everything they had and almost got us through!'

No, I remember the Sedins being pretty easily neutralized most of the time in the playoffs, and after 2011 when their decline started it was all very quick exits or basement finishes altogether. Not clutch - not even that noticeable.

The most clutch out of the old core was Burrows hands down. 

The two that obviously stand out are 

1) slaying the dragon

2) snapping the losing streak against Carolina where he proceeded to snap his stick after the goal to symbolize it. 

Honorable mention goes to the OT goal in the cup finals where he beat Chara to the net on the wraparound. 

I don't find the Sedins clutch at all. Neither was Naslund. 

My two would be Burrows and Kesler. 

I think the question might be referred to the infamous "clutch" thread - and the subject of it - AB.

That said - looking forward - Boeser sure appears to have that killer instinct, confidence, sense of space/where to go, a tremendous release and just plain will to be a great clutch scorer.

Archived