The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The ‘Mandela Effect’ and how your mind is playing tricks on you

RWMc1

https://theconversation.com/the-mandela-effect-and-how-your-mind-is-playing-tricks-on-you-89544

"Have you ever been convinced that something is a particular way only to discover you’ve remembered it all wrong? If so, it sounds like you’ve experienced the phenomenon known as the Mandela Effect.

This form of collective misremembering of common events or details first emerged in 2010, when countless people on the internet falsely remembered Nelson Mandela was dead. It was widely believed he had died in prison during the 1980s. In reality, Mandela was actually freed in 1990 and passed away in 2013 – despite some people’s claims they remember clips of his funeral on TV.

Paranormal consultant Fiona Broome coined the term “Mandela Effect” to explain this collective misremembering, and then other examples started popping up all over the internet. For instance, it was wrongly recalled that C-3PO from Star Wars was gold, actually one of his legs is silver. Likewise, people often wrongly believe that the Queen in Snow White says, “Mirror, mirror on the wall”. The correct phrase is “magic mirror on the wall”.

Broome explains the Mandela Effect via pseudoscientific theories. She claims that differences arise from movement between parallel realities (the multiverse). This is based on the theory that within each universe alternative versions of events and objects exist."

Any weird memories?

I know I've had a few "Madella effect" situations, but am at a loss to recall right now.

As far as dimensional shifts go, I've had one that really stands out. I managed to walk from Lambrick Park to Gonzales Bay (in Victoria) in 35 mins. I was in grade 12, walking with two friends and were meeting people at that beach. Somehow got there 1hr early. None of us can explain it

It has everything to do with your brain. Memories get distorted. Recently I went to Crescent Beach for a walk, remembering when I was a kid I would go there with my siblings and my Dad. The stretch of beach seemed so small. When I thought about it, I realized I was probably over half my height shorter, so my perspective completely skewed. 

This is why witnesses in court are not always reliable. Ever talk to two different sides in an accident? You'll probably get two wildly different stories of what happened. Then you talk to a witness or two. Then you will probably get the real picture of what happened. 

I’ve had multiple. The first one being with the Berenst”a”in Bears. I’m 99.9% convinced Berenstain was spelt with an “e” instead of an “a”. I told my Dad about this and even he said the spelling with an a wasn’t right. Another thing that happened to me, although not necessarily a “Mandella effect” occurred at work one day. I saw one of our servers go upstairs, and what felt like not even 30 seconds later I saw the same server come around the corner with a tray full of dishes in her hands. Just a weird experience I thought I’d share. 

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

I know I've had a few "Madella effect" situations, but am at a loss to recall right now.

As far as dimensional shifts go, I've had one that really stands out. I managed to walk from Lambrick Park to Gonzales Bay (in Victoria) in 35 mins. I was in grade 12, walking with two friends and were meeting people at that beach. Somehow got there 1hr early. None of us can explain it

weed? 

I had a Berenstain Bears book when I was a kid, and I clearly remember the "stain" part of the name. My parents also pronounced it as such - bear-en-stain. So for me, there is zero doubt. 

The only reason some people think 'stein', is from people on the internet mis-spelling it on the internet for decades, and people mis-pronouncing the name - by changing the latter part of the name to 'stein', it sounds more Jewish, more common.

That's it. Any claims of this being some kind of paranormal phenomenon are nonsense. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that sounds kind of like deja vu. In reality, you have never experienced this particular moment at some earlier point in time. I believe I remember reading that the electrical pulses in your brain get caught briefly in almost a loop type fashion so they are processed differently and then you're like, "woah, I've been here or done this before.." Of course depending who you ask - this is evidence that the universe is merely a computer simulation and your deja vu is a programming bug, or glitch. 

50 minutes ago, Pears said:

I’ve had multiple. The first one being with the Berenst”a”in Bears. I’m 99.9% convinced Berenstain was spelt with an “e” instead of an “a”. I told my Dad about this and even he said the spelling with an a wasn’t right. Another thing that happened to me, although not necessarily a “Mandella effect” occurred at work one day. I saw one of our servers go upstairs, and what felt like not even 30 seconds later I saw the same server come around the corner with a tray full of dishes in her hands. Just a weird experience I thought I’d share. 

That'a the Jewish "Berenstein" Bears....B)

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Travelling backwards in time is (theoretically) impossible.

if you travel fast enough you can move yourself forward in time relative to your current frame of reference, but you can't go back. Might be worth it to skip past the Trump years. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Travelling backwards in time is (theoretically) impossible.

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if you travel fast enough you can move yourself forward in time relative to your current frame of reference, but you can't go back. Might be worth it to skip past the Trump years. 

Depending on which physicist you talk to and which article you read, theoretically it isn't impossible. 

Here's a recent article saying it is possible:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/11/14/how-traveling-back-in-time-could-really-physically-be-possible/#152b8ff12db5

Here's another slightly older one saying it isn't because atomic nucleii are pear shaped:  https://mic.com/articles/147150/physicists-have-new-proof-that-backward-time-travel-is-impossible#.ZQjO0OPUb

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Go watch youtube videos on it.  Apparently there were some VHS  of the Berenstein bears that actually had a's.  Everyone knew it with an A as far as I know so weird still knowing its wrong today. 

22 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Depending on which physicist you talk to and which article you read, theoretically it isn't impossible. 

Here's a recent article saying it is possible:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/11/14/how-traveling-back-in-time-could-really-physically-be-possible/#152b8ff12db5

this is a fun article. its a limited amount of time travel but very cool. 

Archived