The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers 2018-2019

Rate this topic

aqua59

14 minutes ago, rekker said:

Terrible drafting and development by the Soilers has caught up to them. Throw in a bunch of bad trades and I dont see them getting any better for a long time. Gotta wonder if McD wants out at some point.

Isn't Connor locked in to that mess for 8 years?  I think the Oilers would be wise to move Draisatl for a top notch D man.  The issue is, they overpaid Draisatl, so his value is not as much as it could be with a better cap hit.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't Connor locked in to that mess for 8 years?  I think the Oilers would be wise to move Draisatl for a top notch D man.  The issue is, they overpaid Draisatl, so his value is not as much as it could be with a better cap hit.  

For sure Conner is locked up. But maybe he demands a trade if he sees his best years going to waste. Drais is over paid. A great player but overpaid imho. He seems to only put up lots of points when paired with McD. Add to this Poolparty isnt looking good, and Larsson is up after next year. Does he re-sign? I bet he will want out as well. Coach and GM are on thin ice. That franchise is on the edge of a cliff. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

For sure Conner is locked up. But maybe he demands a trade if he sees his best years going to waste. Drais is over paid. A great player but overpaid imho. He seems to only put up lots of points when paired with McD. Add to this Poolparty isnt looking good, and Larsson is up after next year. Does he re-sign? I bet he will want out as well. Coach and GM are on thin ice. That franchise is on the edge of a cliff. 

And it's friggin' FUN to watch!!!!  :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

been this since the gretzky trade

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

What a piece of chicken $&!# that Tkachuk is... thank god he doesn’t play for Canucks. 

What an utter embarrassment he was against Kassian....

utter classless gutter player. 

It will come to haunt him. 

I read an extremely biased article on this last night. For a few minutes, I was wondering when Sportsnet.ca became Calgary cheerleaders, but then I realized the article was by the same POS who was joking about Petey's concussion:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/matthew-tkachuk-re-ignited-spirit-battle-alberta/

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I read an extremely biased article on this last night. For a few minutes, I was wondering when Sportsnet.ca became Calgary cheerleaders, but then I realized the article was by the same POS who was joking about Petey's concussion:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/matthew-tkachuk-re-ignited-spirit-battle-alberta/

Cheers RupertKBD....

The writer seems to think is was smart and clever move by that piecevof puke. I think it say everything about the mental capacity of the writer. 

Beat up the weak kid and then turtle when someone your own size turns up... yeah there is a lot of this in society today, but thankfully not on the ice. 

Hope he gets his flipping head smashed to pieces. Scum that he is....

Looks like we have the new edition of Ratboy in our devision. 

Still cant help but wonder, what Iginla would be thinking....

Edited by spook007

On 2018-11-11 at 10:17 AM, aqua59 said:

First out of the gate, I'm not a Oiler fan but wonder how they have been so successful at nurturing disastrous season after disastrous season with the best player in the game?

I've not noticed any Oiler fans this season. They have been lying low, real low. Why wouldn't they?

The Oilers finished with the first overall draft pick  for how many seasons  coupled with missing any other promising picks in later rounds.?

Total drafting ineptness season after season well before Chiarelli and MaClellan arrived. 

Chiarelli and MaClellan haven't made things easier on themselves but they are not the sole reason for icing a struggling product on the ice. Like i said this ineptness was there long before they arrived.

Ownership. For as much loot as this guy has he should stick to the pharmaceuticals. Daryl Katz is probably one of the worst owners in the NHL when it comes to on ice products.

They roll out the same group when they make their draft picks, the spoiled looking owners kid in a team jersey , Kevin Lowe and amazing Craig MacTavish, two of the greatest hockey minds ever assembled adding Wayne Gretzky to mix. what could fail?

Everything has failed and it has started at the top and will never change until MacTavish and lowe are gone.

Another mess that has the optics of being the same type of team yet again. There is little cohesiveness on the ice and one wonders what's going on behind closed doors. 

How is it a team like Vancouver which is in a rebuild with the lowest of expectations, playing with a healthy number of AHLers winning or at least salvaging a point on most nights?

I enjoy the struggle of Edmonton especially after years of putting up with smug Oiler fans. 

Thoughts people? What has happened and what will change things in Edmonton. So far nothing has happened in Edmonton. 

Multiple anchor contracts, multiple over rated players, bad management team, sub par goaltending and an average coach. They do have the greatest player in the game (arguably) but this just proves Gretzky would have never really helped us. CM97 is elite. Leon is very good. The huge is  above average but beyond that, the drop off is steep and fast. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

Multiple anchor contracts, multiple over rated players, bad management team, sub par goaltending and an average coach. They do have the greatest player in the game (arguably) but this just proves Gretzky would have never really helped us. CM97 is elite. Leon is very good. The huge is  above average but beyond that, the drop off is steep and fast. 

Over years, they've also traded or let some good players go for not much.

Stoll

Brodziak

Cogliano

Dubnyk

Petry

Hall

Eberle

• Cheers 1

The loss of Hall and Eberle for scraps has crippled the offensive production of the Oilers (unless McDavid is on the ice, of course).  Their defense has been a perpetual mess for the last ten years or so and trading away Dubnyk who is now starting for the Wild also hurts.

Vancouver has issues certainly...but Edmonton is its own special brand of purgatory if you are a post-modern Oil fan.

Agree with both posts from above. Reading the above list of players traded is sobering at least. Each one of those player's careers has flourished since leaving Edmonton.  

The firing of MaClellan this morning will do little to change things. The club is actually getting harder to watch. MaClellan had little in the way of any depth or cohesiveness to work with. 

This organization can't fire ownership. 

I think what would pi$$ me off more than anything is if edmonton gets yet another 1st round overall pick. 

Beyond the first overall pick this organization is terrible at developing talent ... if they'd had someone in the their scouting department that could find players past  the first pick.

16 hours ago, Lancaster said:

The perfect anti-thesis argument to the "you gotta rebuild via the draft", lol.  

All you need are pickz.

#gotanknayshun

Picks are one thing, drafting another, but development and building a good and balanced roster has been completely lacking.  And at that, they're stuck against the cap to boot and have been bleeding assets as they go along (see: Eberle -> Spooner as but one example).  Chia's days have to be numbered, as Hitchcock is only a short-term solution.  And to think he was absolutely gifted McDavid when he was hired.

Whoever's next in will have to do a near total overhaul, keeping McDavid and a handful of others.  Sorry Oiler fans, it's back to rebuilding, again.  Enjoy your fancy building in the meantime.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

All you need are pickz.

#gotanknayshun

Picks are one thing, drafting another, but development and building a good and balanced roster has been completely lacking.  And at that, they're stuck against the cap to boot and have been bleeding assets as they go along (see: Eberle -> Spooner as but one example).  Chia's days have to be numbered, as Hitchcock is only a short-term solution.  And to think he was absolutely gifted McDavid when he was hired.

Whoever's next in will have to do a near total overhaul, keeping McDavid and a handful of others.  Sorry Oiler fans, it's back to rebuilding, again.  Enjoy your fancy building in the meantime.

As I read your post I wondered if ownership and management are smart enough to start over? If they do overhaul how would that effect McDavid? I'd be pissed if i were him. 

Vancouver has passed Edmonton in their rebuild.

Trader Jim might not be that polished dude in front of a camera but he sure can mine talent. Vancouver has a way to go but are we not all encouraged by what is coming up in the system. Was last nights game not a game where the Canucks looks to have promise and were playing the game the proper way. 

Hitchcock will do no better.

Edited by aqua59
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Spector taking the Oilers Development of Puljujarvi to task in this article.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-puljujarvi-searching-answers-trade-rumours-swirl/

And the instruction manual on how to not get the most out of your top picks continues to be written by the Oilers.

Oilers are gross. Ruining multiple potential stars. 

I would not hold it against Pullijarvi if he refused to report and demanded a trade.

Get away from the tire fire before you inhale too much toxic smoke. 

• Upvote 1

so what will the new incoming gm for the oilers demand cuz they are a real train wreck

problems they have:

really bad salary cap/salary structure issues:

- the only have 1 contract buy out slot left for this season and next (they stupidly used one on gryba which is only worth $300,000 but extends to next year as well)

- they have overpaid contracts and really need to move lucic and sekera

they have fairly poor depth in terms of up and coming players, who are not yet on the team, and the development of those younger players clearly has to contain seeds of doubt given oiler history with elite prospects

no viable/competent plan to construct a comprehensive balanced nhl team

if were incoming new gm i'd demand:

both sekera and lucic be moved - the one that can be moved with the least cost in young player talent (sekera) should be traded, the other bought out (lucic) (and who cares if he is paid nearly 100% of his salary to not play for oilers, owner is just gonna have to eat it all)

complete authorization to trade any player on the current roster except for mcdavid, and inform the organization that at least 1 big piece (i honestly do not see how they can fix their problem without cashing in draisaitl), likely one elite young talent (not yet established on the team), and likely one or both 1st round draft picks in 2019 or 2010, are on the table and likely will be moved