The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Button says Leafs should consider getting Edler

On December 19, 2018 at 11:12 PM, HomeBrew said:

For all those saying that you can’t imagine Edler in a Leaf jersey, remember Mats Sundin? Remember him in a Canucks jersey? If we get additional assets for an Edler rental, I consider that a win.

I do.

But I doubt the Laffs will be offering Edler 20m over two years like the Nucks did Sundin. Adjust for inflation and market value then to now and it's like ...200m in today's dollars. In summary: Alex Edler will play for the Leafs if they offer 100m. Otherwise, no way he waives. 

I imagine he'll be part of the next 2 years here, sheltering younger d-men and then gone once were actually competitive  

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, janisahockeynut said:

Edler to Toronto for the spring is good with me....I hear it is the nicest time to visit Toronto

We are not getting Liljegren out of there...or Kapanen

So, I figure a first + a conditional 3rd, if they reach the Eastern Conference Finals

You can't expect more than that for a rental, for 5 months

I would give him a 3 year deal, front end loaded, when came back, instead of a 2 year.....

Just our way of saying thanks foNr doing this. 3 X 4 M (includes a 6 million signing bonus)

No deal over 2 years. At least not without ensuring he knows he wont be protected when Seattle has their expansion draft.

On 12/19/2018 at 10:46 PM, combover said:

If he’d go then by all means.. let’s make a deal.  Edler plays his best in contract years. 

Tanevs plays his best every game, shot suppression super star, tanev when heathy is one of the best defensive dmen in the game.

Have you noticed, they all do...

Give Edler a one year 4 mil. plus 4 mil. bonus deal tell him he can be resigned every year until he wants to retire up to 3 years, that way he wont have to be protected. Then see how bad he wants to stay . First year sign 4 mil with a 4 mil signing bonus second year resign for 4 mil and the next year resign for 4 mil. Trade him this year, at the TDL he waives to go to Tampa for a cup run ,Then resign him next year. Oh yah and we get Raddysh or another good prospect or pick. This would tell you how much he loves Vancouver and the Canucks.

21 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Bo is playing better now than in his contract year.  :bigblush:

And he’ll be even better in his contract year...:bigblush:

Honestly, if a professional athlete doesn’t play the best he can in a contract year, barring an injury, he would be an idiot. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

And he’ll be even better in his contract year...:bigblush:

Honestly, if a professional athlete doesn’t play the best he can in a contract year, barring an injury, he would be an idiot. :rolleyes:

I dunno, I was always raised to play your best every chance you get. Then again I was never paid to play so I guess it's different. :( 

On 12/19/2018 at 5:45 PM, cory40 said:

Edler is not waiving his No-trade clause. He has said it before and I believe he means it! SO the sooner this is put to bed the better we will feel about it when it doesn't happen!

the last thing heard Edler say was something along the lines of

"I like it here, i want to be here, but if the nucks don't want me I would do whats best"

I would love to see him traded and then resigned after winning a cup.

16 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I dunno, I was always raised to play your best every chance you get. Then again I was never paid to play so I guess it's different. :( 

Neither was I, and in the true spirit of sport, it should always be like that, but... If my salary for the next 3-7 years were going to be negotiated, I would do my outmost to give myself the best chance of a good contract. You’d like to think they always do their best, but it doesn’t always look like it...

And its definitely not uncommon to see players suddenly improve and not look neither lethargic nor lazy in the last year of their contract. 

Any agent worth his salt would advise his client to, if possible step it up a notch for a stronger barganing position. 

Aside from the typical 1 round pick or Liljegren either of which would be an Ideal scenario.

I'd be Kicking tires on

Semyon Der Arguchintsev after this past draft I believe JB has aquired a taste for players of his ilk highly skilled undersized diamonds in the rough.

+

Justin Holl Right shot d with size former 2nd rnd pick projects as a solid 5/6 D

+

2nd which will be a late one.  or maybe they throw in Durzi

would work out to 2 seconds and a 3rd all of whom are progressing well. 

Between Woo Holl and Durzi we have a ton of competition for that next RHD position I still think Woo would be our guy but Durzi and Holl are ahead of him in their development  

Semyon I like he has filthy skill and that backhand drools.

5 hours ago, combover said:

Not true.

some players play their best for for the majority of the contract tanev burrows Naslund the sedins   a much longer list than contract players. 

Great... but very few if any plays their worst in a contract year. 

You’d be down right stupid to not elevate your game, if posible, when your salary for thenext 3-7 years are about to be determined. 

Old age or injury may dictate otherwise but you are playing for your future, either with your present club or with a new club....

51 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

you missed his point

Hmmm maybe don’t think so, but I think Combover meant, that once Edler has signed he will be the Edler that doesn’t hit or battle as hard as he does now, thus we’re better off getting something for him, while he is hot. 

Am I close?

TOR

Edler (top D)

Gagner (professional playoff depth)

VAN

1st

whatever else they should add.

There is nothing better than a Benning 1st round pick (TOR) outside of one of a Leafs core player.

Anyone who needs proof only need to watch a Canucks game.

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

TOR

Edler (top D)

Gagner (professional playoff depth)

VAN

1st

whatever else they should add.

There is nothing better than a Benning 1st round pick (TOR) outside of one of a Leafs core player.

Anyone who needs proof only need to watch a Canucks game.

Gagne is a cap dump with term.   He actually significantly  lowers the return Vancouver could potentially get for Edler 

31 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Gagne is a cap dump with term.   He actually significantly  lowers the return Vancouver could potentially get for Edler 

Not if the Canucks pick up the tab. If it means a 1st, take it.

The Aqua’s will have sellouts in less than three years. It’ll pay for itself long term.

Archived