The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

my concern with him would be down low in his zone... under pressure.

he didn't look great in those situations in the WJC.

this team is likely without Edler - and Sutter - (and who knows who else) possibly to end the season.  Not sure who his partner will be, but it's a M.A.S.H. thing again.

guys like Hutton and Pouliot (no, I'm not suggesting they're comparables, but) - have really struggled in similar circumstances.

could be trial by fire to end the season.

but whatever - it'll be fun in due course.

Hutton has improved in this regard this year imo.  The move serves two purposes the way I see it:

1) have a look at what you have if you’re a gm realizing the context of it being a mash unit

2) give the fans a new toy and fill some seats should the team fade away from the bubble

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Hutton has improved in this regard this year imo.  The move serves two purposes the way I see it:

1) have a look at what you have if you’re a gm realizing the context of it being a mash unit

2) give the fans a new toy and fill some seats should the team fade away from the bubble

yes. a lot.

agree on the rest as well.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:47 PM, SingleThorn said:

It all boils down to 'is QH 20 years old at signing' ? or not. The rules quoted by @Maninthebox show that he is 20. He turns 20 in Oct.. In the 18 and 19 year old section, you're pushed to the next year for post 15th Sept birthdays, but not for 20 year olds ( calendar year ).

Ryan Biech seems to have flip flopped on his answer and is now in the 'must play 10 games to be eligible' camp. The written word seems to contradict him !

Pretty sure that if he's not on the 50 man roster at TDL that he can't play in any post season games. If we are in a late season playoff push, I can't see him on the roster. ( why have d-pairings that cannot play or PP units that can't play post season ? )

He can play in the NHL post-season.  It's only for the AHL where he has to be on the AHL roster at the TDL - he can still play in the AHL playoffs but on an ATO (Amateur try-out) and his NHL contract would start only next season.

Charlie McAvoy.  At the end of his NCAA season he went to Providence on an ATO but the Bruins had so many injuries for the playoffs that they had him start his NHL contract earlier.  He played 6 NHL playoff games for them - none in the regular season.

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes should, and will, play with Guddy.  Guddy will free up pucks, and Hughes will collect them.  Hughes is a phenomenal skater and puck mover.  Other teams will hesitate, so they don’t get trapped behind him.  

I don't know - but I think Gudbranson is at his best on a shutdown pairing with another shutdown - or two way - D.    He was great with Mitchell - and in the few games where he's played with Edler, they were a damn hard pairing to play against.   Gudbranson might free up some time/space for Hughes in their zone in particular, but on the other side of the puck, they might want more of a puck-moving partner / or guy like Tanev who nay not be characterized as a puck mover, but is so slick with his first pass.   With Tanev, Gud and Stecher it's hard to envision which would make the best partner for Hughes.   Stecher (and Tanev) lack the size/heaviness you might want in a partner for Hughes, but they're also solid, and quick,....

Tryamkin on the right side could also be interesting to see partnered with Hughes....

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know - but I think Gudbranson is at his best on a shutdown pairing with another shutdown - or two way - D.    He was great with Mitchell - and in the few games where he's played with Edler, they were a damn hard pairing to play against.   Gudbranson might free up some time/space for Hughes in their zone in particular, but on the other side of the puck, they might want more of a puck-moving partner / or guy like Tanev who nay not be characterized as a puck mover, but is so slick with his first pass.   With Tanev, Gud and Stecher it's hard to envision which would make the best partner for Hughes.   Stecher (and Tanev) lack the size/heaviness you might want in a partner for Hughes, but they're also solid, and quick,....

Tryamkin on the right side could also be interesting to see partnered with Hughes....

I would love to see Tryamkin with Hughes.  Tryamkin is a very good skater, and would be great with Quinn.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:39 PM, WHL rocks said:

Saw this on TSN website yesterday. 

I have mixed feelings. I want to see Hughes in NHL this year but I think it's best for Hughes and Canucks if he plays this season in AHL before coming to Canucks next season. 

Other than reasons of contract and expansion draft.....

He needs to get stronger and improve his defensive game. 

He won't be able to be a rover on the ice in the NHL like he is in NCAA.

Send him to Utica, unless he has a great preseason  and legit earns a spot send him Utica again next season for at least half a season. 

I’m a bit worried that Benning/management could be overrating where he’s at right now.  He’s got the competitiveness required, and his skating is superb, but he needs to work on his shot (like EP did during his draft plus one) and have a summer of gym work to prepare him for it.  From a tactical viewpoint playing him more than nine games doesn’t do the club any favours getting ready for expansion, I’d be disappointed if they do (unless he’s so good he deserves to stay), to me whatever good capital they might gain with Quin by burning his first year of ELC  isn’t enough to do it.  I like that he wants to go pro right away, some development in the AHL never hurt anyone.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

What I see as a problem with gubranson is his inability to make a quick competent decision when he gets the puck on his stick and is pressured .  It was the same thing with sbisa. 

Tanev can do that and can make those decisions. That said though tanev doesn't need Hughes to get the puck out. 

I don't remember enough about tryamkin to say whether he's a good partner for Hughes. 

It's tough to say who he should play with. Hughes is a unique breed of D.

I'll say this though, as far as his safety is concerned, gubranson is the best we have right now to play with him. 

6 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

What I see as a problem with gubranson is his inability to make a quick competent decision when he gets the puck on his stick and is pressured .  It was the same thing with sbisa. 

Tanev can do that and can make those decisions. That said though tanev doesn't need Hughes to get the puck out. 

I don't remember enough about tryamkin to say whether he's a good partner for Hughes. 

It's tough to say who he should play with. Hughes is a unique breed of D.

I'll say this though, as far as his safety is concerned, gubranson is the best we have right now to play with him. 

If it wan't for their size being a concern... he and Stecher would probably be magic together.

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If it wan't for their size being a concern... he and Stecher would probably be magic together.

I would like to see them together on the PP.  They can both skate and handle the puck it would definitely make the PP more dynamic and open some lanes for the shooters - Boeser and Petey with Horvat planted in front of the net or down low.

Just now, Borvat said:

I would like to see them together on the PP.  They can both skate and handle the puck it would definitely make the PP more dynamic and open some lanes for the shooters - Boeser and Petey with Horvat planted in front of the net or down low.

Even 5v5 they'd likely put on a hell of a possession show. Gordie help them with a bad size mismatch though. Particularly be a problem on the road (last change) or after icings.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Even 5v5 they'd likely put on a hell of a possession show. Gordie help them with a bad size mismatch though. Particularly be a problem on the road (last change) or after icings.

Matchups could be a concern but speed and skill can make bigger players look bad ala Petey.  But yeah they could have trouble breaking a cycle in their own zone or against a heavy forecheck.  

5 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Boy have we been spoiled the last 4 years. 

Horvat. 

Hutton

Stecher

Virtanen

Tryamkin

Boeser

Gaudette

Pettersson

Hughes

MacEwen

Remember Jensen Corrado Shinkaruk and Grenier? Remember Labate? Kenins?

Demko, Juolevi, Madden, Brisebois

44 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Horvat. 

Hutton

Stecher

Virtanen

Tryamkin

Boeser

Gaudette

Pettersson

Hughes

MacEwen

#FireBenning

On 2/15/2019 at 8:24 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Horvat. 

Hutton

Stecher

Virtanen

Tryamkin

Boeser

Gaudette

Pettersson

Hughes

MacEwen

Not spoiled. Finally have some legit prospects these last few years emerging.

Deseeve it after  the failures of Gillis with Hodgson,Schroeder, and Yann Sauve etc.

Archived