The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Quinn Hughes to play for Canucks after NCAA season is over

2 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Hmmm if your right. Then I hope that's what happens. I am under the impression if he plays less than 9 games it doesn't burn a year?

I’m no expert but Boeser played 9 and it burned a year. Not totally sure how it all works but I’m pretty sure from what I’ve read, he’ll burn a year but won’t have to be protected if he plays 10 or less.

8 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Hmmm if your right. Then I hope that's what happens. I am under the impression if he plays less than 9 games it doesn't burn a year?

Googled it, depends on age according to an article. Contracts only slide for 18–19yr olds so I could be wrong. Someone on here will hopefully chime in and let us know. 

Doesnt really matter anyway. It’s not like he’s going to go back and finish 4yrs of college and sign elsewhere if we don’t play him in all 13 games haha. 

30 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

You guys -_- there’s no way he’d play all 13 games anyways... he doesn’t even know our teams systems or power play... He’d probably come in and practice for a bit.

Hughes no doubt wants to sign so he can get out of the ELC sooner and get paid but maybe he wouldn’t mind not playing 13 games and explaining the expansion draft if he’s a team guy who wants to win he shouldn’t mind missing a few games. 

Thought I’d chime in because I see some posts around that confuse the topic of Hughes and the importance of the 9 or fewer games mark.

Firstly burning a year of ELC is not a real problem, in fact If Quinn had 3 good years in the NHL then you’d think he’d command more than 2 good years in the NHL. Either way if Quinn plays one game in the NHL this year it will burn a year off the ELC.

the 10 game mark is the big deal breaker.

if Quinn hits 10 games in the NHL this season ( inc post season) then he would be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft.

Not only that but if he hits 10 games he would also have arbitration rights and be acceptable to offer sheets from other teams.

as an example Boeser is RFA this year and he does not have arbitration rights nor is able to sign an offer sheet. In contrast Marner / Matthews who have 3 years of NHL of 10 games or more.

** my information came from Ryan Biech, guy is simply the best

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Saw this on TSN website yesterday. 

I have mixed feelings. I want to see Hughes in NHL this year but I think it's best for Hughes and Canucks if he plays this season in AHL before coming to Canucks next season. 

Other than reasons of contract and expansion draft.....

He needs to get stronger and improve his defensive game. 

He won't be able to be a rover on the ice in the NHL like he is in NCAA.

Send him to Utica, unless he has a great preseason  and legit earns a spot send him Utica again next season for at least half a season. 

Utica isn't developing our prospects tho... I'd rather have him in VAN or College 

I think he's too good a talent to be in the AHL. He's the real deal. He needs to learn the league. 

You get touted OFD prospects that come along every year or 2 but Hughes is more than the average prospect. He's not an Anthony DeAngelo or a Ryan Murphy. His smarts & skating are special.

There will be an adjustment period & some road bumps but he'll be ready to play pretty quick.

1 hour ago, Winter Soldier said:

Anyone who wants to complain about 'muh asset management' has to realize that Hughes and Stecher are the only safe bets to have around on the back end long term.

People who get wound up about possibly losing Ben Hutton are insane.

It depends on what Hutton brings back. This is a quality asset, which we have few of. He's taken huge steps this year to be a legit top 4 NHL defenseman. 

12 hours ago, Isam said:

He would have to be papered down at one point if he is out early in the ncaa tourney to be eligible for the ahl playoffs. It really depends alf. It will depend on when quinn signs and what the canucks deem appropriate for development. The canucks might think the nhl games he will play and working with team usa at the world championships might be better for his overall development then sending him down to utica at the end of the year.

Not possible because his season ends after the deadline.  For players on a NHL contract to be eligible for the AHL playoffs they have to be on the AHL roster on deadline day - either papered down or already on the AHL roster.  He could plays in the AHL playoffs only on a ATO but his NHL contract would have to start only next season.   

The 9 games out 13 is very important. I don't believe that JB would go over 9 games. The more important fact that some seem to ignore is whether we are in a playoff spot, or not. If we make the playoffs, we don't want to be making  Hughes a big part of the P/P if he can't play in the post season. The roster choices would probably be more concerned with playoff pairings ! How Hughes handles P/P minutes is what has most of us intrigued !

If we aren't in the post season, do whatever you like. ( I believe that was the case with Boeser and Gaudette )

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Question for the doctor.  Can Wuinn sing and play with the Canucks, then (after our season is over) be assigned to play with Utica for their playoffs?  Or, is it either us or Utica, but not both?  

And my fur is falling out under my left arm.  What’s with that?  

Dammit Alf, I'm doctor not a Xenovetrinarian.

I have no idea if Wuinn can sing.

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Save his ELC till ext year. Ge him his 10 games if possible.

What number jersey is he?

Ryan Biech clarified things in the Athletic (paywall):

To summarize everything related to Hughes here:

• Burn first year of ELC – One game
  • Stay exempt from Expansion Draft – Nine or fewer games played
  • Avoid Offer Sheet/Arbitration Rights in summer of 2021 – Nine or fewer games played

2 minutes ago, mll said:

• Avoid Offer Sheet/Arbitration Rights in summer of 2021 – Nine or fewer games played

Looks like 9 is the magic number.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Geez we need to avoid cap hell in the future. Be good if he could just practice with the big club. His ELC being delayed might help us down the road.

Hope JB and AQ can figure this out.

Archived