The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCAA Targets for the Canucks?

Provost

Ryan Kuffner, LW is what we need.

Pure goal scorer, Power Forward and puck winner on the boards! 148 points in 130 games for his NCAA career. Solid career, had the body to plat against men when he was a rookie suggests he will handle NHL competition as a 21 / 22 year old.

From the IR > Nicholas Halloran, if he's over the injury that kept him out most of this year?

Last year had 45 points in 37 games as a 20 year old.

2knd in NHLe in the NCAA for his age to ONLY Henrik Borgstrom. His college results translate to almost 50 points in the NHL.

Could be overlooked based on injury. Be a great boost for Utica if he does not crack our roster...

image.thumb.png.15fc70024c94d80047cc50ae8e95fd95.png

Joe Duszak, Andrew Shortridge, Taro Hirose, and Jimmy Schuldt are the guys I hope the Canucks go after. Taro, Joe, and Jimmy could all challenge for NHL spots this September. Andrew would be a good AHL goalie that could split starts with Michael DiPetrio or play a chunk of time in the ECHL as the Organization's 5th string goalie.

The two pressing needs in this organization are defensive depth (which could be addressed by going hard after guys like Joe Duszak, Jimmy Schuldt, or another NCAA guy who isn't listed) and offensive minded wingers. Taro Hirose could probably on a line with Gaudette and Leivo next season and do very well. I also like Josh Wilkins a lot as a guy to target as C depth who I'd make the 1C in Utica next year if Tyler Madden goes back to college for a second year.

Though, when it comes to defense, the guy the Canucks need to GO AFTER is Oliwer Kaski. He's emerged as the best d-man in the Liiga this year and is the same age as a lot of these NCAA guys... in fact Kaski played in the NCAA for 2 years and was a teammate of one time Canuck Griffin Molino. Kaski would be my first choice for a UFA signing but yeah.

Truth is, I'm hoping the Canucks can unearth another College UFA gem that isn't listed right now sort of like how Chris Tanev came out of nowhere the year the Canucks signed him.

Lukas Craggs seems interesting to me going off his PIM and a brief description on TSN

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/234399/lukas-craggs

TSN article:

Lukas Craggs, Bowling Green

Craggs has 13 goals and 24 points through 30 games in his Junior season with Bowling Green with a plus-19 rating. The 22-year-old had 10 goals and 19 points in 40 games last season.

"I’m a simple player, who likes to play very physical, fast, and I like to shoot the puck," Craggs told FloHockey in January. "With that, I create turnovers from skating and putting pressure on the D, and I keep it simple, as much as I can.

The six-foot, 190-pound forward led the Falcons with 108 penalty minutes this season, including a team-high four major penalties.

"Playing on the edge, it’s easier said than done," Craggs added. "I continue to have to work on it each week. I got two five-minute majors, or misconducts, early in the year. I had to tone it back a little bit. I think because of that it helped my overall game play, it’s helping our team win."

2 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Maybe not the correct thread- but does anyone here know what the upcoming Seattle draft scenario is for NCAA players signed in the 2019 off-season ? will they require protection ?

Only if they sign and play 10 games this season

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

From the IR > Nicholas Halloran, if he's over the injury that kept him out most of this year?

Last year had 45 points in 37 games as a 20 year old.

2knd in NHLe in the NCAA for his age to ONLY Henrik Borgstrom. His college results translate to almost 50 points in the NHL.

Could be overlooked based on injury. Be a great boost for Utica if he does not crack our roster...

image.thumb.png.15fc70024c94d80047cc50ae8e95fd95.png

Nick Halloran announced that he’s going back to Colorado College for his senior year (2019-20) and will complete his degree. He’s going to heal up, get 100%, and hopefully put-up a huge year and draw major interest in 2020. That was the plan for this year, and even his coach started the season saying Halloran would be gone after his junior year, but the injury derailed things and he’s going to wait a year now before looking to go pro. Smart decision under the circumstances IMO.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

Bobo Carpenter, Centre, Boston University, 5’11” 185 lbs, Senior

The son of Bobby Carpenter has put up 10 goals and 18 points in 21 games this season. He is a straight forward North-South player. He gets his points by working hard on the cycle, getting to the front of the net, and being effective on the forecheck. Despite his size, he works hard in battling for loose pucks in all three zones. His defensive game is well-developed and he does a good job playing against other team’s top lines and on the penalty kill. Carpenter has improved his skating, but there is still work to be done.

I'm not signing a player that goes by Bobo.

20 hours ago, stawns said:

and media

not a lot of fun for players and is likely a big black mark for players considering signing in van

I’ve called Alf worse things on this board and he ain’t get paid nothing except for a smal per diem from Melmacian Advance Scout force.:P

Archived