The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Celebs charged with fraud in buying their children’s admission to top colleges

nuckin_futz

48 minutes ago, gurn said:

Is it irony, that if found guilty of "bribing" many of these people will just pay a fine to the government. Their money got them into trouble but will pay their way out of it.

Not if they wrote off the "donations" on their taxes. Which appears to be the case.

6 hours ago, Stelar said:

I may be in the minority here but this is a big nothing burger to me. Who really gives a $&!#. 

Essentially what those rich scumbags did was screw the other less fortunate applicants and current students who go to those schools because now the schools have a bad rep and creditability. 

IMO this would never happen in Canadian Universities as they have higher standards of acceptance.

17 hours ago, Stelar said:

I may be in the minority here but this is a big nothing burger to me. Who really gives a $&!#. 

There was a scandal in Sweden recently about a bunch of students who cheated on the Swedish version of the SATs and got perfect scores becoming medical students. In Sweden the SATs are like a second chance if you don't get good grades in school, so basically a bunch of cheats got caught and were expelled from the medical programs, robbing other students of those places. I think there's a huge problem with that.

Edited by canuckster19
  • Cheers 1

A pretty interesting article by someone who works in College admissions. It's a pretty long read, so click on the link if you're interested.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/anonymousadmissions/college-admissions-scam-felicity-huffman-lori-loughlin-ivy

The gist is, it does pay to be rich, white and male, at least in the college where the author worked.

I thought this paragraph describing the attitude of many parents of students fitting the above demographic was spot on:

When affirmative action debates were reaching fever pitch, many of the parents I spoke with trying to get their students into elite institutions were convinced that their son or daughter would be denied admission to a top school because of their whiteness. (That’s always how they’d think of it — their kid already had a hypothetical “spot” that was going to be “taken away from them” in favor of a student from a more diverse background.)

Edited by RUPERTKBD

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A pretty interesting article by someone who works in College admissions. It's a pretty long read, so click on the link if you're interested.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/anonymousadmissions/college-admissions-scam-felicity-huffman-lori-loughlin-ivy

Not saying this article doesn’t have merit. But I will never give Buzzfeed a click. The worst.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The gist is, it does pay to be rich, white and male, at least in the college where the author worked.

I thought this paragraph describing the attitude of many parents of students fitting the above demographic was spot on:

An anonymous person who claims that they work at this mysterios school. 

I guess this is what buzzfeed calls journalism. 

Edited by CBH1926

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

An anonymous person who claims that they work at this mysterios school. 

I guess this is what buzzfeed calls journalism.

So, this is "Fake News!" as far as you're concerned? Not that I care, just for the record.

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So, this is "Fake News!" as far as you're concerned? Not that I care, just for the record.

Could be true, it just has zero credibilty. Entertaiment site posting anonymus stories. Since people dont bother checking facts or authors this is sadly news in 2019.

Just now, CBH1926 said:

Could be true, it just has zero credibilty. Entertaiment site posting anonymus stories. Since people dont bother checking facts or authors this is sadly news in 2019.

How would one "check the facts" on this?

Seems entirely plausible to me that people with money would have an easier time getting into college than poor people. I disagree that it has "zero credibility" just because the author didn't attach a name to it. What if the byline read "Jane Smith"? Would that make it a "credible" piece, or would you find another reason to question it?

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

How would one "check the facts" on this?

Seems entirely plausible to me that people with money would have an easier time getting into college than poor people. I disagree that it has "zero credibility" just because the author didn't attach a name to it. What if the byline read "Jane Smith"? Would that make it a "credible" piece, or would you find another reason to question it?

Of course it would, since we could look up to see if this person is who they say they are. Anonymus could be some kid in the basment making this up. Kind of like hockeybuzz.