The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could Leaves MISS the 2019 PO's? :^)

50/50 schedule to end the season.  7 points up on 8th in the east and one of the highest scoring teams in the league.  9 games left and 2/3rds of those games are against defensively mediocre teams.  They play against the Sabres, Canes, Rangers, Sens, Habs and Panthers and will need to pick up 3 wins at least.

I honestly don't see it happening but would love if it did

They'd have to lose virtually every single remaining game to drop out. The Canucks missed the playoffs in 2005-06 with 92 points. The Leafs already have 91 points with 9 remaining games. It's extremely unlikely that they miss.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

They'd have to lose virtually every single remaining game to drop out. The Canucks missed the playoffs in 2005-06 with 92 points. The Leafs already have 91 points with 9 remaining games. It's extremely unlikely that they miss.

Most likely way is MTL stealing the 3rd seed in their div. Hilarious if the Leaves missed out, or had the 8th seed to get TBay-crushed.

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

50/50 schedule to end the season.  7 points up on 8th in the east and one of the highest scoring teams in the league.  9 games left and 2/3rds of those games are against defensively mediocre teams.  They play against the Sabres, Canes, Rangers, Sens, Habs and Panthers and will need to pick up 3 wins at least.

They can score but calling that joke of a defense AHL quality is generous.  Only Muzzin and Hainsey are actually capable of playing defense, and the rest of their pylons are getting exposed as the games are getting tighter.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

They can score but calling that joke of a defense AHL quality is generous.  Only Muzzin and Hainsey are actually capable of playing defense, and the rest of their pylons are getting exposed as the games are getting tighter.

In addition, Gardiner & Dermott are out w/injuries.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

In addition, Gardiner & Dermott are out w/injuries.

That improves their chances.  Gardiner would be a defensive liability int he AHL.  At the NHL level, it's an upgrade when he's out of the lineup.  He's absolute trash and Dermott isn't much better.  The Laffs have built a culture where it's completely acceptable for a defenseman to be unable to play defense.  Add in lazy floaters like Nylander not getting thrown in the pressbox for their pitiful lack of effort, and it's a recipe for disaster.

The Leafs will make the playoffs, but in having to face the Bruins...will it be seen as a successful season if they go out in the first round?  At least missing would give them a lotto ticket to get them out of cap purgatory with a star ELC.  

ha! I was looking at the standings a couple hours ago and thought the same thing.. it's doubtful but it would give me such deep satisfaction. 

even after tonight's loss, sportsclubstats.com still has them at 99.9% chance of making the playoffs, with 91% chance of 3rd seed, 9% at second. and a 4.4% chance of winning the cup.

for whatever that's worth.. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

judging by their recent performances against Van & Ott, those defensively mediocre teams are the ones they should worry about ::D

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Minny made it in (I believe) '16 with 87 points. but typically a team needs 9 5 points to get in.. 

Archived