The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Type of Team Do You Want

TheGuardian_

What Type Of Team Do You Want?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tried to do this as a neutral topic

Trying to see the tolerance of the fans to wait it out longer and what expectations are building over the years.

There is no real implications of trading or firing anyone

Just trying to gauge what Canuck fans/posters perceive 

I guess i could have added other items like size

Where they are now? - one of the smallest teams maybe 2nd smallest

League average? - 6'1 3/8" 

Large? Winnipeg type large, well over league average

Sort of like if skill fails size can grind. Then it is big vs small in a strength, reach and truculence battles

I'm still on the 'stay the course' plan.  I don't expect the Canucks to really start competing for a playoff spot for a couple of years.  We have some great talent but it will take a few years for them to mature.  I'm still willing to wait.

Detroit won the Stanley Cup in Steve Yzerman's 14th season.  But then they won the Cup 4 times in a decade.

I think quick wins like we saw with Crosby in Pittsburgh and Toews / Kane in Chicago have made people impatient.  That and the EA NHL series.

I think this topic demonstrates some of the problem here.  It isn't this or that, black or white.

For me, it's a combination of things but skill and speed are much more fun to watch for me than grinding it out.

Remember - we screamed to be younger/faster, but there's patience required in that.  The experience has to be gained and we should be allowing for the process.  Not expecting our team to just be there.

I LOVE the physical aspect of the game, don't get me wrong.  But I think you have to have some of both to be effective.  Now everyone's on the bigger is better and, come playoffs, yes...that can factor in.

But the name of the game is scoring the most and I want our guys to ALL develop toughness that means they can take care of themselves and take some punishment.  Not "fighting", but in not being too easy to move off the puck.  Petey's shown the will in that...just needs to fill out/mature a bit more.

I watch because I love hockey.  I want a cup, yes, but I don't hold my breath all season and decide each game that we're not good enough.  I watch to be entertained, have fun and, hopefully, my team does well.  The rest is up to them, not me.   I've learned to accept the things I cannot change in my life.  Makes it more enjoyable.

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I've learned to accept the things I cannot control in my life.

In life that is most often correct, but, you can influence a sports team in how they operate. This is demonstrated constantly through out the world, lose and fans evaporate (or worse), money declines and owners get upset. Fan frustrations can "push" teams to be better, Bettman knows US teams support winners much better than losers.

As an individual your word changes little but as a group, like in an election, the "mob" can have much influence.

As long a fans sell out the arena there is no urgency to improve beyond the level that is selling out unless the owner wants it, this team selling out at 65 million a year makes as much as going to the cup final in money. TO had a retirement fund for 2 decades and no one cared because they sold out, but they didn't sell out every game one year and bingo, there was a change.

In sports the measure of success is not participation, it is winning it all. There is no shame in demanding a winning team or talking, posting, printing fan displeasure about a team that fails, fans that reject failure, failure can be/is accepted for the greater good, but rejecting mistakes is not to be encouraged.

Sports days used to be about winning, the participation ribbons ruined generations of kids that learned losing was okay OR trying hard didn't matter. 

Blue for first, Red for second and yellow for third, actually i cannot remember the colour of third, i either got 1rst, 2nd or nothing, i tried harder if i failed and was encouraged to do so, not this "see you didn't have to try to be as good as him, so don't bother" 

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

In life that is most often correct, but, you can influence a sports team in how they operate. This is demonstrated constantly through out the world, lose and fans evaporate (or worse), money declines and owners get upset. Fan frustrations can "push" teams to be better, Bettman knows US teams support winners much better than losers.

As an individual your word changes little but as a group, like in an election, the "mob" can have much influence.

As long a fans sell out the arena there is no urgency to improve beyond the level that is selling out unless the owner wants it, this team selling out at 65 million a year makes as much as going to the cup final in money. TO had a retirement fund for 2 decades and no one cared because they sold out, but they didn't sell out every game one year and bingo, there was a change.

In sports the measure of success is not participation, it is winning it all. There is no shame in demanding a winning team or talking, posting, printing fan displeasure about a team that fails, fans that reject failure, it can be/is accepted for the greater good, but rejecting mistakes is to be encouraged.

Sports days used to be about winning, the participation ribbons ruined generations of kids that learned losing was okay OR trying hard didn't matter. 

Blue for first, Red for second and yellow for third, actually i cannot remember the colour of third, i either got 1rst, 2nd or nothing, i tried harder if i failed and was encouraged to do so, not this "see you didn't have to try to be as good as him, so don't bother" 

Oh, true enough.  I just don't know that we should.   People here glom on/off the bandwagon and scream as they leave.  

As a lifetime fan of this team, I hate to see the fans persuading things in any way.  I mean, most screamed/cried/stomped their feet when we signed Petey.  Do we really want the fans dictating things?

Sports is about winning...it's just that there isn't one proven formula to get there when so many variables factor in.

34 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh, true enough.  I just don't know that we should.   People here glom on/off the bandwagon and scream as they leave.  

As a lifetime fan of this team, I hate to see the fans persuading things in any way.  I mean, most screamed/cried/stomped their feet when we signed Petey.  Do we really want the fans dictating things?

Sports is about winning...it's just that there isn't one proven formula to get there when so many variables factor in.

You know as a life long fan you probably know more about running teams than you think you do. There is no degree in it, it all done by watching and doing.

The information available to the ordinary fan is very close to the same a GM gets. Sure there will be the "behind the scenes" additions, marital adulteries, drinking, anger management stuff and all this isn't kept quiet all the time, think back to Kassian's issue, well known and yet not.

You can get the scouting reports and judge players or just use multiples to get a consensus, you know that big players have an advantage because if skill fails they can out muscle.

You know the playoff games are a different animal, you know the failure the Canucks had the last time.

You can know the cap by using a website, the same one the teams do, you an judge value or contract staggering or clauses and the CBA is out there for all to read.

Team after team has rebuilt, retooled or gone bust, that is education of right and wrong.

Teams grind players, much like armies, into doing what they want them to do, NA players take it, Euros just go home and wait it out. Euro's have a much more sense of honor than most NHL teams. IMO Jake has been one of these players, grind him down into a "yes sir" guy. AHL coaches have whole teams of those so they fail when they get to the show unless given years to change or luck out onto a championship team.

There are thousands of items you have observed over the decades and if like me you have been involved at some level, some more, some less.

You know why Linden/Benning have never stated a plan, because if they did then they are putting a deadline on their employment, so they left statements vague and foggy and still don't commit to a course of action or leave what they did up to interpretation, get younger but sign older, get rid of clause contracts, but sign more, rebuild but trade away draft picks and keep vets until they get nothing, they rely on some fans and media to conjure up meaning from controversial statements, say this, but do that and what is it? Like the rebuild word, Linden said if the fans want it okay, but we are not doing anything different, that came from your (big picture many) pressure, him coming out to say it and it works for other things as well. Catch them when they are trying to cheat the fans.

I think the CBA year is the deadline, the end of next season. Then come what may, some one will say,"going for the cup, nothing less is acceptable", a small tear down, signing top FA's and big trades.

What ever fans know just about everything a GM does and most have way more education and are smarter. Hence the "boys club" protecting each other and forcing out new.

I'd like to see the Canucks win the cup next year and every year after that.

I expect that the Canucks will have a strong chance at making the playoffs next year and win a series or two the year after.  Maybe a cup or four after that, but you never know what you'll get.  It's about time we won one, though.  I'd like our first to be with the Laffs in the final and blow them out.  A guy can dream, right?

I think the players, the coaches and the fans want to win, but in order to do that they need better players. Benning has brought in a lot of players to help out, provide more veteran leadership, but they need goal scoring and better D. Not going to win a Cup when 75% of the forwards are bottom 6 players. So, now Benning has the tough task of trading some of these bottom 6 guys. My guess is he keeps everyone, except Pouliot and Sutter. Their "process" is slow and requires a lot of patience. Basically add 1-2 top prospect players per year.

2014 - Virtanen & Demko

2015 - Boeser & Gaudette

2016 - no one (unless you count Goldobin)

2017 - Pettersson

2018 - Hughes

2019 - ? (Woo?)

They need 3 more top 6 forwards and a Dman. They won't spend big money on UFAs.   

I'd like my team to be ok, but not too good.

Maybe try to make the playoffs, but come up just short.  That way - a middling pick - so we don't get too good in the future.

The playoffs are stressful - and it's nice outside in playoff season.  Who really needs playoffs?  I already got 82 games.

2 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

So most here want to win the cup and dominate the league, but want it within a year or two tops. Haha explains a lot. 

Exactly what I was going to say. Nobody willing to wait 3 years, not a single vote, but they want to be a cup winning team. What delusion do these people have? Are we going to sign 5 all-stars from free agency in the next couple years and label ourselves as contenders somehow??? 

Archived