The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

Turcotte, Zegras, Soderstom, Broberg.  In that order for me.  Unless Podkolzin falls, then him.

I'm pretty torn on Zegras.

Sick skill no doubt, but not great size. Is he a passenger or a play driver? Might have a hard time creating chances in the NHL, or he might just be 'future NHL' personified... 

He kind of reminds me of Tyson Jost.

Curious too, what do you like about Soderstrom over Broberg, Heinola, Seider? 

Agree though, I too have a weird feeling Podkolzin will fall (probably not as far as #10, but who knows). 

I think this team has really been lacking in the Russian department for a the past decade plus. Podz would have some fun playing with our young talent.

Edited by nergish
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I would take either Centers or Defence in first round of draft because the overabundance supplies of depth can fetch you a good return for a proven players now in a trade rather than prospects in returns.  Centers has only 4 jobs available, defence has only 6 jobs available when compared to wingers, it has 8 jobs available and you can find them through free agents and teams nowadays wouldn't trade away their top center or a top Defence unless returns are premium.    A winger in first round is risky, unless you are a Jagr and wingers can be replaced easily and there's are too many good wingers around in the league but centers and defence is harder to find.  If you don't have a winger, a center can be traded for a top winger in the league if you have a depth in the centers or defence.  

While that is true, I disagree in a way. Yes Centres have 4 jobs, but the supply of centres is absolutely abundant especially 3rd to 4th liners. Defencemen on the other hand, is more scarce, theres a reason why in the summer, teams go nuts on top 4 Dmen and over pay. Theres dmen to be had, yes, but dmen that can actually play and play well, thats a different story. As pretains to the Canucks, I think theres a whole lot of holes in this team other than in goal, our D core is mostly crap for the most part, but we've also gotten shut out 10 times so goal scoring is a problem too

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it made sense to add C depth for sure, but my point is as good as any player looks in the bottom 1/2 of the 1st round of the draft you just don't  really know what the player will be in the NHL. It seems like Benning and crew are beating the odds a little bit with the quality of picks but its still going to be a few years yet before we can comment on how much better he may be in this area. 

At the bottom half of the 1st round, and the rest of the draft for that matter, yes its a bit of crapshoot thats why the scouting staff has to be on point with their evaluation. As for quality of picks, yes Benning has been getting high picks but thats just the nature of the game, your team sucks, you get a better pick Gillis on the other hand had a great team under him and he pissed pretty much every pick out the door and made the excuse that being a good team, means lower draft picks, means crappier players. Whats actually ironic is that, this is according to TSN (im pretty sure it was mcguire that brought this up) theres an infographic, around the time of the Gillis era, the teams with the most prospects that graduated to the NHL during that time period was Boston Chicago and LA. All 3 teams have 1 or multiple cups during the Gillis era and were still able to draft good players and get them to the bigs so I don't buy Gillis excuse

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Centers has only 4 jobs available

Keep in mind how easy it is to shift a skilled centre to wing.

Almost all of San Jose's skilled wingers were drafted as centres. You want that BPA on forward and figure it out later.

• Cheers 1

On 4/17/2019 at 4:16 AM, filthycanuck said:

Thats the million dollar question, which the Canucks are going to have to face at the 10th pick. Do you want to take the 8th best forward? or the 2nd best defenceman? Defenceman right now are such a premium especially how the games played that even if the forward is slightly better than the Dman, you'd opt to take the d-man since they are important in this style of game, defending while pushing the teams pace up the ice. Hitting on a defenceman in the first round and them becoming cornerstone players have such high value, with the exception of ultra elite level mcdavid type players, that they can fetch an incredible ransom in the open market if you choose to trade them

Maybe, maybe not.  Seth Jones was a third overall (and early was even considered a possible first overall), and got Johansen,  who’s maybe a top 25-35 center at best.  Jones is now a top ten defenseman, maybe even top five.   Both teams got what they needed which evens things out a bit.   What would Horvat get in a similar deal?  A top ten defenseman?  Maybe.  But even more importantly and this why we should be drafting our own defenseman, is under the cap there has been a total of one deal like this ever made.   So I do get your point.  We also need a top six winger, which is easy to get in the top of the first round, where as getting a top pairing defenseman is way more hit and miss.  We missed once with OJ already, wonder if that will play into things somewhat.  Either should get one of the last two core pieces this draft.  

15 hours ago, nergish said:

I'm pretty torn on Zegras.

Sick skill no doubt, but not great size. Is he a passenger or a play driver? Might have a hard time creating chances in the NHL, or he might just be 'future NHL' personified... 

He kind of reminds me of Tyson Jost.

Curious too, what do you like about Soderstrom over Broberg, Heinola, Seider? 

Agree though, I too have a weird feeling Podkolzin will fall (probably not as far as #10, but who knows). 

I think this team has really been lacking in the Russian department for a the past decade plus. Podz would have some fun playing with our young talent.

I feel that if Hughes was not the #1 for the USNDP, Zegras would be.  I also think that Zegras would shine enough in that role taht he would be a lock for top 5.  He is not at the level of Hughes obviously, but does play a similarly dynamic game.  6ft at 17 isn't terrible size, but I do agree that he has to fill out quite a bit.  I do see him as a winger in the NHL, and would be a great fit with Pearson and Horvat, or EP/Brock.  I'd love to get a high end skater/skill guys like him.  

Personally, Id take Soderstrom at 7, behind Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Podkolzin, Turcotte and Zegras.  He is a RHD with great puckmoving ability, great vision, and very good defensively.  I'd describe him as similar to Boquist LY, without the big shot, but far better defensively.  You don't get as guys like him unless you draft him.

There is some new reviews out that suggest Broberg may not have the hockey IQ to go with his skill. The said he was the Virtanen of the draft. Ugggggg.

He has skills that are off the charts.

Harley?

Good thin we aren't choosing. 

We really need to add some guys with size and skill in this next draft. After watching the Flames and Lightning getting trounced in the first round, it makes me worry about drafting too many smaller skilled players. Just look at how Petey was checked into oblivion during the last quarter of the season. We need more toughness to round out the team.

7 minutes ago, Deets said:

We really need to add some guys with size and skill in this next draft. After watching the Flames and Lightning getting trounced in the first round, it makes me worry about drafting too many smaller skilled players. Just look at how Petey was checked into oblivion during the last quarter of the season. We need more toughness to round out the team.

Gaudreau looks like a boy out there, totally ineffective. And then there's McKinnon. Wow. I think size would be good, but the player has to have speed and smarts as well. I'm liking the idea of Seider as a Dman, Soderstrom would be good too.

Any one of these guys with the 1st:

Turcotte

Podkolzin

Newhook

Soderstrom

Seider

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gaudreau looks like a boy out there, totally ineffective. And then there's McKinnon. Wow. I think size would be good, but the player has to have speed and smarts as well. I'm liking the idea of Seider as a Dman, Soderstrom would be good too.

Any one of these guys with the 1st:

Turcotte

Podkolzin

Newhook

Soderstrom

Seider

Looks like we are almost for certain going to get a very good young player at 10 OA.  (I'd add Broberg to your list:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Looks like we are almost for certain going to get a very good young player at 10 OA.  (I'd add Broberg to your list:)

I'm going to have to watch more Broberg video or something. From the video I've seen, he has size and speed, for sure, but I'm not sure how smart a player he is. He seems similar to Virtanen in that way.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm going to have to watch more Broberg video or something. From the video I've seen, he has size and speed, for sure, but I'm not sure how smart a player he is. He seems similar to Virtanen in that way.

We definitely should not draft any guys with low hockey IQ.  What I like about Broberg is his desire to dominate the game.  He's like Quinn Hughes that way.  I think Seider has that competitive nature to dominate too.  To me, that's the "it" factor.  

On 4/9/2019 at 7:00 PM, Alflives said:

Cole Caufield IMO has the most potential to be an elite driver of player, after Jack Hughes.  He’s a big risk to take at ten, but I think we need to swing for the fences and select guys who have star potential.  We already have enough third and fourth liners.  We need more guys like Petey, Brock, and Quinn who can drive play.  Caufield has that potential.  

He has a hat trick today against Sweden. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We definitely should not draft any guys with low hockey IQ.  What I like about Broberg is his desire to dominate the game.  He's like Quinn Hughes that way.  I think Seider has that competitive nature to dominate too.  To me, that's the "it" factor.  

What I do like about Broberg is his size and speed. He can take it all the way up ice, but he needs to work with his team mates better to set up a play in the o-zone. He would be great to get the puck out and up the ice. But I've only watched a bit of video, and this is just my impression so far. I need to watch more.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He has a hat trick today against Sweden. 

Damn, these little guys are making it tough! Just a pure goal scorer, exactly what the Canucks need (well, they need a lot), but his size is a concern for sure. Watching Gaudreau look very average in the playoffs, I wonder if Caufield will have the same issues. I think these International tournys are more about showcasing skill and speed etc. I don't think the games are brutal and violent, like the NHL playoffs. And they're all still kids.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What I do like about Broberg is his size and speed. He can take it all the way up ice, but he needs to work with his team mates better to set up a play in the o-zone. He would be great to get the puck out and up the ice. But I've only watched a bit of video, and this is just my impression so far. I need to watch more.

Damn, these little guys are making it tough! Just a pure goal scorer, exactly what the Canucks need (well, they need a lot), but his size is a concern for sure. Watching Gaudreau look very average in the playoffs, I wonder if Caufield will have the same issues. I think these International tournys are more about showcasing skill and speed etc. I don't think the games are brutal and violent, like the NHL playoffs. And they're all still kids.   

And Caufield's biggest issue is not his size; it's his skating.  I think a guy his size (even though he can obviously score at his current level of play) with skating concerns will drop a lot in the draft.  He could fall out of the top 20, and maybe even in to the second round.  It's hard to take such a big risk with a top 10 pick.