The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

On 4/10/2019 at 8:00 AM, The Lock said:

So I don't know all of the players available admittedly, and this is going to be vague, but in my opinion:

1) A larger player if possible, given we have a lot of small prospects in the system already.

2) A defender first, then a winger if the defender is not available, given we have a TON of centers in the system (not a bad problem to have at all) and really need defense.

Keep in mind I'm not saying don't draft a center or don't go with a smaller player if that's the best pick at the time. I'm just saying what I think would benefit us more.

I think Calgary and Tampa Bay losing in the playoffs shows size is still important in the second season. Don't just draft on size but if all else is = size helps when the refs put the whistles away.

9 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

I'm on the Caufield bandwagon. 9 goals in only 3 games at the worlds, tying Kessel's record for the tourney. He's small but a pure goal scorer. Where is he listed in most draft boards?

Caufield might be worth a gamble. Sounds like he can play regardless of size. Similar to the knocks on Patrick Kane and EP about their size. Seems like the only knock on him is his size. Unfortunately, that’s one of the things you can’t fix unless the captain America program exists in some lab in the world.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Caufield might be worth a gamble. Sounds like he can play regardless of size. Similar to the knocks on Patrick Kane and EP about their size. Seems like the only knock on him is his size. Unfortunately, that’s one of the things you can’t fix unless the captain America program exists in some lab in the world.

I agree he might be worth a gamble. His career stats at every level are unreal. He's been a prolific scorer. Even with his size he might be ok in today's game. And who knows, he might have a late growth spurt!

22 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Right shot that plays right wing and lines up on his off side on the powerplay - Just like Boeser

Cool. I saw LW on hockeydb, which is why I asked. If we were to draft Caulfield, I imagine he'd be playing with Horvat, so I'm kinda relieved to hear he plays RW.

22 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I think the question is whether his skating will allow him to work around his lack of size, that is, can he elude larger players, find the space to be effective?   I'm skeptical not because he's small but because he doesn't look to be an elite skater, only a good one with good hockey sense.  If that's the case, is it enough for him to be successful in the NHL? 

9 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I think the question is whether his skating will allow him to work around his lack of size, that is, can he elude larger players, find the space to be effective?   I'm skeptical not because he's small but because he doesn't look to be an elite skater, only a good one with good hockey sense.  If that's the case, is it enough for him to be successful in the NHL? 

Yeah you have a point. Based on videos, he doesn’t appear to be an elite skater. However, all the scouting reports doesn’t knock his skating so maybe it’s deceptive.

I remember some scouting reports saying that mittilestadt and EP having weird short strides but their speed seems quite good in the NHL. 

I guess we shall see where he goes and see if his skating is an issue or not once he is drafted. If we draft him, let’s just hope the gamble pays off and he tears up the NHL with speed to spare.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dragonass said:

I think Calgary and Tampa Bay losing in the playoffs shows size is still important in the second season. Don't just draft on size but if all else is = size helps when the refs put the whistles away.

Yeah. Although I think this season's playoffs so far shows it's more about momentum than anything else. Case in point: Winnipeg has a lot of size and toughness and they are out too.

11 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

I'm on the Caufield bandwagon. 9 goals in only 3 games at the worlds, tying Kessel's record for the tourney. He's small but a pure goal scorer. Where is he listed in most draft boards?

Around 10

14 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i don’t understand the rankings. they just said that tracey was ranked 57th before this tourney, but after scoring 4 goals, he has risen to 21st. does that mean, if he scores 4 more goals, he could move up in to the top 15?

Yeah your right...suggests they didn't have a clue prior to the tournament...

I think it's great to see all of these US players doing so well at the U18's.  This tourney can be deceptive and the more excited scouts and GM's get about players based on this tournament, the better chance our excellent scouting allows us to take a great players who falls to us because of hype of others.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

newhook has the mental part of it and will develop in real time unlike other canuck high hopes..this kid may not be huge in size at the moment but i think he is listed at 6 foot tall..he will be an impact player the kid is destined to be nhl player and will dominate in NCAA ...durable player great vision good wheels and ok shot..

5 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

newhook has the mental part of it and will develop in real time unlike other canuck high hopes..this kid may not be huge in size at the moment but i think he is listed at 6 foot tall..he will be an impact player the kid is destined to be nhl player and will dominate in NCAA ...durable player great vision good wheels and ok shot..

Hate to agree with you.

Both Alex Newhook and Bobby Brink have this certain level of mystery around them, both dominating in lower leagues and displaying tantalizing skillsets under the radar.

I hope Nucks brass scout the crap out of Newhook, because if he’s as good as he appears, we could end up regretting taking a pass on him...