The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Louie Eriksson and Jake Virtanen and Jim Benning

Rate this topic

CaptainLinden16

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

So we went through that once with the Twins....does he make the same mistake again by giving a retirement contract with ntc or nmc to Edler??? If he buckles and gives Edler a new deal has our GM really learned from the past?

We have 2 top 4 LHD going in to next year, yes Hughes is young but he will be a top 4 guy for us. Also have our high draft pick OJ who should be coming to camp ready to compete for an NHL spot or at worst be a call up during the year.

I hope JB does little in the UFA market, if anything short 1 or 2 yr year deals on players with no NTC so they can be flipped for assets at the TDL.

I really don't think  Edler is the long term answer and agree a short term deal is best - if at all.  My comment was more what he needed to deal with - Sedins - not that I agreed how with how it was executed.  The reason for the UFA's needed now - 1 top six winger, preferably top line winger and 1 top pairing D is that in my opinion the Canucks could use both even if the current prospects with potential pan out. 

Other than Hughes "potentially" who is currently in the system that is highly likely to be a top pairing D in the next number of years?

Anyone highly likely to be a legit top six winger in the next number of years?

I don't see any certainty for those needed players only hopefuls.  Maybe I missed them.    

My fear is Benning will be desperate with only a year left on his contract plus there is no continuity or succession plan as they have no President or experienced AGM.  Kinda scary. 

Benning is a decent scout but I am not confident in his ability to run a successful organization from top to bottom.  I see some cracks. I call them CrAqualini's.

Edited just now by Borvatl

Edited by Borvat
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

So we went through that once with the Twins....does he make the same mistake again by giving a retirement contract with ntc or nmc to Edler??? If he buckles and gives Edler a new deal has our GM really learned from the past?

We have 2 top 4 LHD going in to next year, yes Hughes is young but he will be a top 4 guy for us. Also have our high draft pick OJ who should be coming to camp ready to compete for an NHL spot or at worst be a call up during the year.

I hope JB does little in the UFA market, if anything short 1 or 2 yr year deals on players with no NTC so they can be flipped for assets at the TDL.

Benning flips no one. He hangs on to useless bottom 6 assets  or borderline top

6 assets until they are worth nothing. All this because of some misguided notion, that he and most of the cdc fan base shares, that these kids are mentally weak as hell and need some kind of sheltering. That’s the whole benning apologist spiel to absolve benning for the following.

- pissing away high 2nds and 3rds or prospects for useless bottom 6 grinders.

- hanging on to assets too long until they are untradeable.

- Edmonton and buffalo being the only examples they give that support going this route while every other successful team doesn’t use this model of rebuilding and for good reason.

Fact is, we should have traded Edler before his NTC kicked in and we should have traded Tanev before he got injured. And we should have traded Sutter when he was worth a lot more. And many many more. JV too needs to go before his worth is completely gone.

JB isn’t going to flip anything except maybe another young prospect like Dahlen or a 2nd round pick. The guys a horrible gm.

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 2

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

The guys a horrible gm

He is far from horrible.

If you refrain from using such extremes like that, you’ll have more success in your delivery of your message here, IMO.   

I agree with most of the rest of your perceptions though, which was once seen as pure blasphemy on these boards not too long ago. Now, it’s easier to inject these comments and critiques into discussions without the heard rushing in to stomp-out any dissent here. 

Even the Accidental/Stealth Tank concept can now be argued here based on the predictably of the Tank-worthy goalie tandem and D-core that Benning went with for several seasons now, combined with other IR mainstays in key roles like Sutter’s.

-Nobody ices that roster seriously expecting to have a “competitive” team. 

Had EP and Marky not been in the discussion for the Hart this season, this would have been a not-so-stealthy Tank job/Plan, delivered by a roster *expected to produce another top pick, which I am perfectly fine with, in principle (Tanktards).

JB’s plans seem to have a serious ring of silver linings to them.

-When he actually wanted his roster to compete, he gets a top pick.

-When he scales back and let’s kids and projects play, he wins, but still gets a decent pick. 

So, I agree with you and others though that at some point, the team will need a manager who executes and receives the intended results. I do not believe JB will be that guy for this franchise. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

You should be talking to Babcock and Dubas if you don't like the way they do things. 

Lindholm played mainly on the wing on the 4th line. Gauthier was their 4C for most of the year. So Lindholm was actually a winger winning over 50% of his draws. 

Tavares probably takes so many defensive zone draws because he plays with two of the most defensively responsible wingers on the team (at least according to Babcock). It's likely more important to Babcock that Hyman and Marner are out there in those situations than Tavares. If you don't like that it's fine. 

Lindholm took slightly more draws / game than Gauthier - so you should probably look at facts like that before making claims like he was a winger - and also played 3 minutes more/game, and 9 times the pk ice time than Gauthier, who is playing less than 7 minutes a game in the playoffs.

I should be talking to Babcock and Dubas if I don't like things?   I guess these boards were designed for Leaf-blowing only.

Tavares probably takes so many dzone draws - because the Leafs don't have a 4th line Babcock can trust.:shock:   Feel free to forward that to Dubas' junkmail if you see fit.

Btw - this is precisely why I cut out the part of the conversation I thought was worthwhile - while moving on from this tail-chasing cycle.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, Alflives said:

I agree with both of you.  I don't want Ehlers or Nylander for their cost, and softy play.  I don't like JB's philosophy of filling gaps (age and talent) with so many middling UFA's either.  We certainly need a sprinkling of support for our young guys to develop to their best potential, but (IMO) JB has accumulated too many of such guys.  

Jake is not Ehlers or Nylander, but he still needs to use his size to be more impactful physically more often.  

Way back when we drafted JV I went and watched as many videos of him as I could find and the player he reminded me of the most was kesler.  Remember always looking for that winger to play with kesler year in and year out. ??   We will do the same thing with Jake because he doesn't play well with others just like kesler didn't. He ended up doing things himself with sheer will. 

Once our coaches figure out how to deploy JV and Jake learns to play to his strengths I believe we will have a player on our hands. 

If we keep trying put a square peg in a round hole we will be frustrated with Jake. 

We don't know what coaches are telling Jake to do. This is the problem I have with assessing JV. 

Any player you say has a high hockey I Q will be a player who uses his teammates well and makes those around him better. That's not JV. 

It wasn't kesler either 

Jake virtanen will dominate once himself and/ or coaches figure out how to use him properly. 

All of athletic abilities are there. They just need to be used properly.  If not he will eventually be traded and this will be realized by another team. 

• Upvote 3

meh if benning would have taken tkachuk over juolevi and ehler or whomever over jake.. our top 6 would be fine and just need to draft a few more Dman.. but as it stands we have holes in our top 6 and holes in our top 4 with Juolevi being an unknown being injured so much since drafted

• Upvote 2

On 4/15/2019 at 12:18 PM, CaptainLinden16 said:

I think Jake still has a chance to be Raffi Torres.  Raffi was a high pick who had raw tools and was fierce hitter.  I would take one Raffi over 5 Ehlers or Nylanders in the playoffs.

A young raffi torres, then turned more consistant as those types need more time for maturity than average but once it's there, it pays off but it's not like Jake is going anywhere since benning and green know it's a process that's almost done in him. He just needs to keep it up and he still could make it onto the 3rd line with a 2nd line upside if our new player (via trade or ufa) for Bo whoever that may be gets injured. Anyway Raffi in his prime was a train and Jake will get there too, just a matter of time. Plus being in a room full of guys like petey, brock, and Bo especially but there's more but seems to be the competitive bar is moving up a notch or 2 so that's a far cry from lil depth and the lil depth not being very good with the odd exception but at least we're heading in the right direct direction and so is Jake... not worried about it, he'll be fine. 

Edited by iceman64

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

A young raffi torres, then turned more consistant as those types need more time for maturity than average but once it's there, it pays off but it's not like Jake is going anywhere since benning and green know it's a process that's almost done in him. He just needs to keep it up and he still could make it onto the 3rd line with a 2nd line upside if our new player (via trade or ufa) for Bo whoever that may be gets injured. Anyway Raffi in his prime was a train and Jake will get there too, just a matter of time. Plus being in a room full of guys like petey, brock, and Bo especially but there's more but seems to be the competitive bar is moving up a notch or 2 so that's a far cry from lil depth and the lil depth not being very good with the odd exception but at least we're heading in the right direct direction 

Raffi played with killer instinct and had a non-stop motor where Jake throws a big hit once every 5 games now and regularly takes games off. He just looks disinterested half the time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Where are people seeing all this JV potential from? From every game I have seen him play he is a total lost cause and exact same trajectory as Pyatt and Bernier. Possible even less hockey iq guys than those guys possess.

Can someone please explain to me what they are seeing? He has been crap plain and simple. Can’t even handle hard passes like an NHLer and stops moving his feet at the wrong times and thus hasn’t changed since his first NHL game. 

So so can I please get a break down of what he is actually good at besides skating in a straight line as fast and hard as he can,  trying to do much, and either turning the puck over or destroying a play one of the D and Ep spent so much work constructing. 

The guy is horrible and should be traded instantly based on the games I have seen him play. And yes it’s plenty of games. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Raffi played with killer instinct and had a non-stop motor where Jake throws a big hit once every 5 games now and regularly takes games off. He just looks disinterested half the time. 

That's why he needs pushing and that's greens job...

7 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

That's why he needs pushing and that's greens job...

No, he’s not a 19 year old rookie anymore he’s 22 going on 23 and going into his 5th year of pro hockey, most of which has been under Travis Green. I think Green has done his part in trying to get through to Jake in Utica and in Vancouver and now the onus is on him now to decide what he wants his career to become. Problem is that the Canucks have a lot of holes to fill and few trade chips and Jake makes perfect sense to be dealt this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Among forwards.....

1st in takeaways 

2nd in hits (behind Motte)

5th in blocked shots (Bo, Motte, Petey and Roussel ahead of him)

3rd in shots on goal (Bo and BB)

4th in goals (Petey,  Bo and BB)

but ... 5th worst in giveaways (but worse than Jake were, in order, Petey, Bo, Goldy and BB, so he was in good company)

I'd say that's quite the resume 

Yup....we better trade him...he is a bum. 

The trade JV bunch are the same clowns clamouring for firing JB. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Among forwards.....

1st in takeaways 

2nd in hits (behind Motte)

5th in blocked shots (Bo, Motte, Petey and Roussel ahead of him)

3rd in shots on goal (Bo and BB)

4th in goals (Petey,  Bo and BB)

but ... 5th worst in giveaways (but worse than Jake were, in order, Petey, Bo, Goldy and BB, so he was in good company)

I'd say that's quite the resume 

Besides the 1st in takeaways, not a very impressive resume at all vs the harm he does.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

24 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Yup....we better trade him...he is a bum. 

The trade JV bunch are the same clowns clamouring for firing JB. 

Oh points, wait his point production went up too... DEFINATELY better trade him, throw all that developing that's finally almost done for not very much. Yeah that'd be helpful...

• Thanks 1