The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sens, Sharks Karlsson Deal..Who Won?

Rate this topic

Thread I saw on HFBoards asks this interesting question. There are quite a variety of views/insights, & prob lessons all 31 GM's could glean from analysis of this Sept blockbuster.

As a Sens-backer, I'm quite pleased with how they came outa' this deal. They got the best decade(one could ask for) outa' EK, & flipped him for 6 useful pieces. Not too shabby.

His health plays a BIG factor in the evaluation. & it looks like he won't be re-signing in the San Fran Slums..denying another 2nd rounder to OTT. So all told, they prob got:

- 2019 2nd, 2020 1st, Tierney, Demelo, Balcers, Norris(signed him today)

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Well Sharks definitely lose if Karlsson walks in free agency

But say they sign him, & his injuries go on forever? Could potentially look like the Ducks/Kesler(LTIR write-off). Doug Wilson gave up on the experts, & now visits gypsy ladies for tarot/tea leaf readings...

Considering if they didn't trade Karlsson it was likely he would have signed elsewhere, and the Sens would have had nothing to show, I say they won that deal.  It doesn't matter whether he signs in San Jose again or not.  The Sens win either way.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thread I saw on HFBoards asks this interesting question. There are quite a variety of views/insights, & prob lessons all 31 GM's could glean from analysis of this Sept blockbuster.

As a Sens-backer, I'm quite pleased with how they came outa' this deal. They got the best decade(one could ask for) outa' EK, & flipped him for 6 useful pieces. Not too shabby.

His health plays a BIG factor in the evaluation. & it looks like he won't be re-signing in the San Fran Slums..denying another 2nd rounder to OTT. So all told, they prob got:

- 2019 2nd, 2020 1st, Tierney, Demelo, Balcers, Norris(signed him today)

Where did you hear that he's not re-signing? Even Karlsson says he would like to stay but it depends on different factors (paraphrasing)

Edited by Dazzle

It was either lose him for nothing or get something for him, so considering the return Ottawa got, they should be very happy with how it went

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Where did you hear that he's not re-signing? Even Karlsson says he would like to stay but it depends on different factors (paraphrasing)

His tweet kinda sounded, "thanx for the memories..." Guess we'll see, but the Sharks might encounter cap-grief, with a few questionable contracts on the books.

2 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

I think the Karlsson signing was about giving Jumbo another legit shot at the cup because that's all that was guaranteed.  Who predicted Karlsson having a groin issue at the time of the signing. 

EK for the future was always a maybe

Without the injury, maybe they win the trade.  Injuries so often dictate the cup winner

Sharks won. Sens could have got more, if they focused on quality over quantity. Norris is OK, but not a high-end prospect, and the rest are just depth guys and long-shots.

I'd say Brannstrom (who they got in the Stone deal) will end up worth more than the entire return for Karlsson.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Them the risks if you feel you're that close (and frankly look how this post-season has gone where it seems the Cup is up for grabs).  You can't always play it safe & sometimes you gotta go 'all in' (though it's hardly like they gave up five 1st round picks + alot of cash) as you don't know how long that window will remain open.

Benning won't go there I hope ( signing him ) but I feel Ottawa did well here.

San Jose failed by falling short of reaching the finals, I think his value has gone sideways and stays in San Jose.

Ottawa didn't lose. They could perhaps have done better, but something is better than nothing:

San_Jose_Sharks.gif Erik Karlsson
Francis Perron
September 13, 2018
Josh Norris
Chris Tierney
Rudolfs Balcers
Dylan DeMelo
2019 2nd round pick
2019 or 2020 conditional 1st round pick
2021 conditional 1st or 2nd round pick
2022 conditional 1st round pick
Ottawa_Senators.gif
Comment: The 2019 2nd rounder is the better of San Jose's own or Florida's own, previously acquired. If the Sharks miss the playoffs in 2018-19, the 2019 or 2020 first-rounder will be in 2019; otherwise, it’s a 2020 first-round pick that will go to Ottawa. If the Sharks re-sign Karlsson the Senators receive a conditional second-round pick in 2021 which would become a first-round pick if the Sharks make it to the Stanley Cup Final in 2019. If Karlsson is on an Eastern Conference roster (reserve list during the 2018-19 season, the Sharks would have to send the Senators an additional first-round pick no later than 2022.

The Sharks lost some potential and with all of the conditionals on the picks, they could be out a fair amount if they do or do not sign Karlsson. Aside from the named guys, they are out a 2019 2nd, a 2020 1st, and then there's the conditional picks.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus