The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

7 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

You know, none of us could have predicted how terrible the Eriksson signing would be. But to me, what was even more unpredictable is how Eriksson and his agent are acting right now. Eriksson has gotten every opportunity and some as a Vancouver Canuck. He just hasn't been good enough and if Travis Green is giving a veteran like him a hard time for not being good enough, well that's music to my ears. How are we supposed to get buy in from these kids if the vets aren't held to the same standard. Eriksson needs to take a look in the mirror but it doesn't look like it's going to happen, so he'll just be taking a hike. 

Memo to Loui:

Dear Loui,

Please start acting like a professional. We are trying to trade you, but you're coming off like a self entitled brat. When you're done throwing your tantrum, call Jim...you know, you're boss? It's hard enough to trade you as it is, you're not helping right now. 

Sincerely,

Common Sense 

Can someone fill me in as to the situation with Loui? Is he just not wanting to do anything right now?

30 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm assuming you know the answer and just have a different take, but I'll bite.

1) The interview he did with the Swedish newspaper. He said he doesn't see eye to eye with Green, which means he wasn't happy with his playing time and/or how he was utilized.

2) Benning went on record saying Eriksson (or his agent if that's his job?) didn't return his call.

3) Eriksson's agent releases a statement which doesn't even touch on why there's been no communication with mamagement or whether there's been any communication since Benning went on record saying that.

Eriksson is clearly disgruntled and wants the world to know. If he wasn't, he'd end all this by making a statement saying something (anything) positive. If he wanted to do himself any favours, he might even take some responsibility and say he's working out hard this summer so he comes back better next season. 

But I welcome your take :P

1) He did indeed say he didn't see eye to eye 100 percent. Ice time may be one issue, but it could be anything really. The key is that he said not 100 percent though meaning it's not like there's a rift between them and it's rare that everyone agrees with everyone 100 percent of the time. This was a Google translate on an article and he was asked about his offense and maybe he was simply hoping for more ice time in offensive situations to get his numbers back up.

2) I didn't actually know about this until looking this up just now. Benning may have called LE directly and he may not be obliged to answered (I would generally avoid calls from my boss if I was on my vacation/break), but it does sound like Benning has gotten in touch with LE's agent.

"Benning was asked at today's presser if he had spoken with Eriksson. Said he'd been very busy lately but had tried calling twice, left messages but hadn't heard back. Had spoke with his agent, though."

3) The agent simply said for hockey reasons that maybe he's better off playing elsewhere. It seems to be reiterated that he's not demanding a trade, but simply open to one considering he does have a full NTC this year. His colleague has said that he's a Vancouver player and basically isn't going to give up on his career. This could come across as he's simply not going to retire, or maybe even that he's not ready to quit so he can keep "fighting on" in which he said at his end of season presser. LE also mentioned that he's still having fun playing despite his struggles which doesn't sound like what a disgruntled player would say.

Sure he could do himself some favours by releasing his own statement, but at the same time he isn't obliged to. Even if he did, I'm sure people will still complain about how it isn't genuine and still rag on him anyway, so I really see no difference. I'm certain that LE hasn't been happy with his play and that he wishes he could get maybe a similar treatment that BB got when he struggled out of the gate, but that's only to try and boost his offense. He is putting his full effort defensively and Green trusts him in that role and maybe LE feels he's got more to his game.

Everything isn't peachy for sure, but it seems extreme to suggest he's being a "self-entitled brat" or throwing any "temper tantrums", at least not from what I've seen so far. There has been far worse examples in the league IMO, but everything is blown out of proportion simply because many want him out of the lineup even before this all came out. I bet if EP had the same comments, the same people will be calling for Green's head instead or at least looking at it in a different light.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I want a Royal Rumble to decide our 13th forward. In that case, I'd give Zack MacEwen the edge!

I'd also waive Loui before Goldobin since Goldy probably gets plucked off waivers.

We saw many players like Goldy waived last season and the years before and went unclaimed. Teams don't generally have the room for a project player when they have many of their own to sort out. Not to say it's impossible, but he's only a year older and still doesn't have stand out numbers aside from a hot start and we can't be the only team that knows of his deficiencies. LE may surely go unclaimed, but LE can play a defensive role and be a top PK which IMO is more important than throwing some hits. MacEwen has shown decent offensive prowess in the AHL, but he's going to have to learn the game at the NHL level and with the way Green has deployed him would suggest he wasn't ready last season, so we will see how he does in camp.

Ya, Jake definitely hasn't played any PK yet. It only took him 2 years to earn Travis' trust 3 on 3. At that rate, Jake should expect to see PK time in the 2024-25 season.

Jake's game is very north-south. Which should translate to a good forecheck-backcheck type game. Playing the PK is more positional and that doesn't appear to be his niche, so it doesn't really shock me that he's not on the PK. Green has said that he expects the 24 year old Jake to be the best, so we will see what Green has in store for his development. All we do know is every year Virtanen has been upping his point totals and earning more trust from Green from improving his defensive game, so I'm happy with his progress so far.

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

1) He did indeed say he didn't see eye to eye 100 percent. Ice time may be one issue, but it could be anything really. The key is that he said not 100 percent though meaning it's not like there's a rift between them and it's rare that everyone agrees with everyone 100 percent of the time. This was a Google translate on an article and he was asked about his offense and maybe he was simply hoping for more ice time in offensive situations to get his numbers back up.

My take on this is he's choosing his words wisely. You're right that it's rare that everyone gets along 100% of the time. But to actually go to the media and say that, now it's a problem that you've given life to. Before it was something small that could be handled behind closed doors like most things get handled. So I think he's mincing his words in that interview. Plus, like I said, he could have released his own statement if he thoughts his words were taken out of context - he didn't. That would suggest that it's true then. Eriksson isn't stupid. He knows the market that he plays in and he knows this is a talking point.

2) I didn't actually know about this until looking this up just now. Benning may have called LE directly and he may not be obliged to answered (I would generally avoid calls from my boss if I was on my vacation/break), but it does sound like Benning has gotten in touch with LE's agent.

"Benning was asked at today's presser if he had spoken with Eriksson. Said he'd been very busy lately but had tried calling twice, left messages but hadn't heard back. Had spoke with his agent, though."

For sure, everyone deserves time to themselves and shouldn't have to be in constant contact with their employer over their holidays. But I don't think Benning is the type to do that. He left 2 messages amd didn't hear back. Now, clearly he knows that Benning is going to want to clear the air after those comments were made. Not returning his calls sends a message. We can debate on what that message is but it's not a positive one. 

3) The agent simply said for hockey reasons that maybe he's better off playing elsewhere. It seems to be reiterated that he's not demanding a trade, but simply open to one considering he does have a full NTC this year. His colleague has said that he's a Vancouver player and basically isn't going to give up on his career. This could come across as he's simply not going to retire, or maybe even that he's not ready to quit so he can keep "fighting on" in which he said at his end of season presser. LE also mentioned that he's still having fun playing despite his struggles which doesn't sound like what a disgruntled player would say.

Sounds to me like a guy that meant what he said in that interview...

Sure he could do himself some favours by releasing his own statement, but at the same time he isn't obliged to. Even if he did, I'm sure people will still complain about how it isn't genuine and still rag on him anyway, so I really see no difference. I'm certain that LE hasn't been happy with his play and that he wishes he could get maybe a similar treatment that BB got when he struggled out of the gate, but that's only to try and boost his offense. He is putting his full effort defensively and Green trusts him in that role and maybe LE feels he's got more to his game.

I used to think this as well. But I just didn't see a consistent effort from him at either end of the rink last year. His compete level just wasn't there for me and I think his defensive game is not what it used to be. Plus there's the fact that he only managed 3 hits all year. That has to be an NHL record. I want to see much more drive/compete out of my players than that.

Everything isn't peachy for sure, but it seems extreme to suggest he's being a "self-entitled brat" or throwing any "temper tantrums", at least not from what I've seen so far. There has been far worse examples in the league IMO, but everything is blown out of proportion simply because many want him out of the lineup even before this all came out. I bet if EP had the same comments, the same people will be calling for Green's head instead or at least looking at it in a different light.

I just think he's had it pretty damn good in Vancouver. He cashed in huge, with a buy out proof contract and no trade protection. He plays in one of the nicest cities in the world and with a top notch organization that spares no expenses. He was given chance after chance to nail down a top 6 role with quality linemates from the Sedins to EP40, Bo and Brock. What more could he ask for? So it doesn't sit well with me hearing him complain publicly. When was the last time a Canuck did that? Kesler? Eww.

Hopefully I didn't sound too snarky. Loui's got me going!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

We saw many players like Goldy waived last season and the years before and went unclaimed. Teams don't generally have the room for a project player when they have many of their own to sort out. Not to say it's impossible, but he's only a year older and still doesn't have stand out numbers aside from a hot start and we can't be the only team that knows of his deficiencies. LE may surely go unclaimed, but LE can play a defensive role and be a top PK which IMO is more important than throwing some hits. MacEwen has shown decent offensive prowess in the AHL, but he's going to have to learn the game at the NHL level and with the way Green has deployed him would suggest he wasn't ready last season, so we will see how he does in camp.

I think it'll come down to training camp. The pressure will definitely be on Goldobin. If he has a poor showing, he could definitely find himself on waivers by the end of camp. But Eriksson is probably in the coaches dog house right now and is a candidate for demotion as well. I'd say if all things were equal, they'd probably keep Goldobin given his upside and risk of being claimed.

Jake's game is very north-south. Which should translate to a good forecheck-backcheck type game. Playing the PK is more positional and that doesn't appear to be his niche, so it doesn't really shock me that he's not on the PK. Green has said that he expects the 24 year old Jake to be the best, so we will see what Green has in store for his development. All we do know is every year Virtanen has been upping his point totals and earning more trust from Green from improving his defensive game, so I'm happy with his progress so far.

Ya, I like Jake and with a more consistent effort game to game, he's a keeper for sure. When he's on, he's one of the best players on the ice. But he needs to figure out how to bring that effort on a more consistent basis. Hopefully he takes another step forward and hopefully he was watching a lot of playoff hockey this year!

Figured I'd copy these posts from the Bailey thread re: Eriksson.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Regardless of what you think of his play, 'opportunities' or his comments, I just don't see how they can bring him back. I think he'll get booed if he steps on Canuck ice in the regular season. That's not going to be good for anyone.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's plenty of those to make things plenty uncomfortable for both management and player.

Out of proportion or otherwise, he was already un-liked here for his lack of production vs salary. The more sensible among us would rightly point out that yes, while the contract is certainly poor, at least he's sound defensively, can PK, etc. Hence the 'Little Things' meme around him. 

But his comments in the media were the proverbial straw. Can't see them bringing back an already un-liked player who then 'whined'. Rightly or wrongly. Our garbage media and the more fanatic element of the fan base will ensure it. His agents comments about it perhaps being better for all parties if there was a change of scenery have only fueled it further.

It's a P.R. nightmare waiting to happen. And it's not like his play has warranted management keeping him over the impending P.R. nightmare. The roster doesn't need him.

IMO, he's done here and it's best for all involved.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The 'drama's' going to happen regardless, fed by that media. You or I aren't going to stop the inevitable. You think getting booed as much as Kesler or Marchand at EVERY home game will be good for anyone? He's DONE here.

By all means if Benning/Eriksson's agent can come up with a deal that doesn't force Benning to give up major futures...by all means that's the preferable route for both player and team. But failing that...

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure, your prerogative.

I think that's just denial of the reality of the situation though. There was already a pretty sizable portion of the fan base/media who wanted him gone, with at least some hostility/animosity. His comments and subsequent agent comments haven't helped that. That everyone can see we can ice a perfectly competent, even improved, roster over last year without him on it isn't helping it either.

People will all to vocally voice their displeasure if the team attempts to round hole that square peg. I think that's a situation best avoided, not rubbed in people's faces. The team doesn't need the distraction.

Question regarding the bonus part of his contract. Now, some of this info comes from Hockeybuzz, so grain of salt. 

Was noticing over there, that its believed that Lucic will be moved after his bonus is paid on July 17th. I thought bonuses were due on July 1st, the anniversary of the contract being signed. Does anyone know if its accurate that they get bonus on a different date?

If the bonus to Eriksson isn't due until later month, that could definitely be why he's still here and hasn't been moved yet. Can't imagine any team that will take him, would be willing to do so before that bonus is paid by the Canucks.

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Question regarding the bonus part of his contract. Now, some of this info comes from Hockeybuzz, so grain of salt. 

Was noticing over there, that its believed that Lucic will be moved after his bonus is paid on July 17th. I thought bonuses were due on July 1st, the anniversary of the contract being signed. Does anyone know if its accurate that they get bonus on a different date?

If the bonus to Eriksson isn't due until later month, that could definitely be why he's still here and hasn't been moved yet. Can't imagine any team that will take him, would be willing to do so before that bonus is paid by the Canucks.

I wish i could remember who it was, but I heard on SN650 they were talking about a player with a bonus due in September so I think it depends on the contract. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wish i could remember who it was, but I heard on SN650 they were talking about a player with a bonus due in September so I think it depends on the contract. 

Wasn't that Myers new contract?

33 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Loui's was paid on July 1st, so they could be waiting for Lucic to get his on the 17th to make the deal.

At this point I think I'd be happy with Lucic + Puljujarvi for Loui + Goldy 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Loui's was paid on July 1st, so they could be waiting for Lucic to get his on the 17th to make the deal.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Everyone seems to think its better for Loui to go play somewhere else, including his agent. The big question is, does anyone want him...

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don’t want Lucic’s extra contract time. Poolparti is not enough incentive. Erickmsson can still play good enough defence to hang on for better offers. That is a observation from the outside. Canucks might have a better take from an insider.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Almost certainly overblown. 

But a far less than ideal situation has become downright toxic. The team, and he need to move on...or it won't be pretty and a MASSIVE distraction IMO.

I agree.  

The situation was always volatile and the cap situation + some ill timed comments are enough for this to get silly.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Had no idea about Milan’s pay day. I guess we will see if this happens on the 17th or the following day. I’m good with just a straight up exchange. No “sweetener” required. Just a nasty Lucic who will hit, fight and intimidate the losers who keep taking liberties on EP. I can also guarantee that he will regain some of his past scoring touch upon his arrival. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Had no idea about Milan’s pay day. I guess we will see if this happens on the 17th or the following day. I’m good with just a straight up exchange. No “sweetener” required. Just a nasty Lucic who will hit, fight and intimidate the losers who keep taking liberties on EP. I can also guarantee that he will regain some of his past scoring touch upon his arrival. 

for me Pulljujarvi makes it worth the risk of Lucic not producing. Milan might have a bit of a comeback year, he might not, but at least its a different dimension to the team physically, we don't really need Loui on the 3rd or 4th lines.